IGNORED

Bury to return to Gigg Lane

I have a little soft spot for Bury mostly because of my father who grew up in the Rhondda Valley.

His younger brother married a girl from Bury and they lived at 5, Gigg Lane, about 15 yards from the turnstiles to the Bury FC ground. My Dad lived with them in the 1930's when he was going anywhere in the country looking for work because the mining industry was at rock bottom at the time.

And the last match that my father watched at Ashton Gate a couple of years before he died, was in the Fourth Division against Bury.

So, I for one, will be chuffed if Bury FC can regain their Football League status soon.

• Like 15

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I have a little soft spot for Bury mostly because of my father who grew up in the Rhondda Valley.

His younger brother married a girl from Bury and they lived at 5, Gigg Lane, about 15 yards from the turnstiles to the Bury FC ground. My Dad lived with them in the 1930's when he was going anywhere in the country looking for work because the mining industry was at rock bottom at the time.

And the last match that my father watched at Ashton Gate a couple of years before he died, was in the Fourth Division against Bury.

So, I for one, will be chuffed if Bury FC can regain their Football League status soon.

Proper old school ground and typical of many being centre of the community.

• Like 3

I remember Bury and Gigg Lane with fondness as one of the friendliest teams and grounds I ever visited, from the man at the turnstiles and programme seller who genuinely wished us good luck to the locals in the supporters club who budged up so we could sit down. It also had the finest meat and potato pies I've ever had. The only slight downside was the form of Paddy Kenny who ensured Bury came out the game with a draw. The guy who picked a quiet moment to scream Somebody Kill Kenny got it so right. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I remember Bury and Gigg Lane with fondness as one of the friendliest teams and grounds I ever visited, from the man at the turnstiles and programme seller who genuinely wished us good luck to the locals in the supporters club who budged up so we could sit down. It also had the finest meat and potato pies I've ever had. The only slight downside was the form of Paddy Kenny who ensured Bury came out the game with a draw. The guy who picked a quiet moment to scream Somebody Kill Kenny got it so right. 

it was a great little ground and I remember some really good away days up there. One that sticks in my mind was a night game where we lost 6-3.

Just checked: it was 1985, that makes me feel bloody old!

• Haha 1

I remember a game at Gigg Lane, with a goal from Lourenco Dasilva (I think) in front of a decent away following. Queue the usual pandemonium! Not sure what the final score was though. 

Proper club, proper ground. Best of luck to 'em... ?

Edited by BS3City
Pedantic spelling correction.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BS3City said:

I remember a game at Gigg Lane, with a goal from Lourenco Dasilva (I think) in front of a decent away following. Queue the usual pandemonium! Not sure what the final score was though. 

Proper club, proper ground. Best of luck to 'em... ?

I remember walking into the changing room after the game to be met by  a naked Kevin Amankwaah ?‍♂️