IGNORED

Big match revisited

archie andrews

2 hours ago, archie andrews said:

Tomorrow morning city v forest 78....

Nice one ?

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

The late Trevor Francis would be playing in that game I guess? As would the late Gerry Gow ?

No, didn't join Forest until the following season. They still scored 3 goals though! 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Blitzkrieg! That Forest side were the best I ever saw at counterattack football, I don't think I have ever seen a game before or since where I was worried when we got a corner. 

A great team for 3 seasons in a row.

I was at the game too. City lost 3-1. Forest were super quick on the counter one touch football. Iirc City won something like 17 corners in that match. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I was at the game too. City lost 3-1. Forest were super quick on the counter one touch football. Iirc City won something like 17 corners in that match. 

That was the following season, 78-79, which ended in the same scoreline (1-3) but we played very well and twice hit the post. Forest were unbeaten in 30+ games at the time and obviously ended the season winning the European Cup.

Unfortunately the game they're showing today is from the season before when we didn't play so well. It was on New Years Eve and the programme broadcast on 1 Jan 1978. 

• Like 2

If I remember a bit more correctly than my last post, it was in one of those 3-1 defeats that Clive Thomas was the referee and after City went close to scoring he was caught on camera expressing exasperation at how close it had been. It was pointed out in the letters section on Brian Moore's the Big Match as the person who composed the letter wondered if that meant Thomas had shown bias towards Bristol City. But Thomas answered that he enjoyed watching the football he refs like anyone in the crowd and just reacted to a very close effort in the same way as had he been a neutral spectator in the crowd. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

If I remember a bit more correctly than my last post, it was in one of those 3-1 defeats that Clive Thomas was the referee and after City went close to scoring he was caught on camera expressing exasperation at how close it had been. It was pointed out in the letters section on Brian Moore's the Big Match as the person who composed the letter wondered if that meant Thomas had shown bias towards Bristol City. But Thomas answered that he enjoyed watching the football he refs like anyone in the crowd and just reacted to a very close effort in the same way as had he been a neutral spectator in the crowd. 

Yes that was the game you went to by the sounds of it. And the oracle - David Woods' book - says we won the corner count 19-2! 

The game that's on today was refereed by Lester Bloody Shapter.  Say no more. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

10.30. It's on now (that's today, this morning, right now)

There's 2 episodes i think. 

Not watching the first one as Palace are on and might catch a sight of fat fruity Francis. John Cleese and Peter Cook are supposed to be in the studio with Brian Moore, mind. That might be worth watching!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Not watching the first one as Palace are on and might catch a sight of fat fruity Francis. John Cleese and Peter Cook are supposed to be in the studio with Brian Moore, mind. That might be worth watching!

You're right, 11.30 it is. Gerry still at Qprs by looks of it, Jim Cannon getting stuck in. Palace player just stretchered off, Brian Moore informing us " he broke his leg two months ago," ?!? "Only came out of plaster a month ago" !?!

1970s....

Leeds v Man City now, 1977. What occurs to me, watching this, is that Elland Road, in 1977 - home to Britain's most numerous and prominent angry/violent supporters; scene of multiple televised outbreaks of disorder - is still to be fenced in, while much tamer grounds, like Ashton Gate, are already caged both ends.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He was big in the seventies, you know.

Indeed, he's pretty hefty today.

55 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Leeds v Man City now, 1977. What occurs to me, watching this, is that Elland Road, in 1977 - home to Britain's most numerous and prominent angry/violent supporters; scene of multiple televised outbreaks of disorder - is still to be fenced in, while much tamer grounds, like Ashton Gate, are already caged both ends.

Out with the dog now but have recorded both episodes to watch later.