IGNORED

It’s not just Bristol

redkev

4 hours ago, MarcusX said:

When I was a kid I loved all sorts of football shirts, and I’m still somewhat of a collector.

My grandparents in particular would often bring me back a shirt when they went on holiday.

I remember having Dundee, Newcastle, Arsenal, Ajax, Olympiakos, Panathinaikos, AEK Athens, Parma to name a few plus a USA shirt. Doesn’t necessarily mean anything if kids wear different shirts, especially young lads while they are trying to fit in.

I do the same now for my lad. He no longer wears them but it’s like a tradition, wherever I’ve been for work or pleasure, I’ll always bring him back the local shirt. I’ve got boxes full of random teams in the loft.

• Like 3

Proof of plasticity comes in the shape of Man U tops dominating 20 years ago. Saw kids all over the place proudly wearing their kit. Now it's Man City. They're the big boys now. So naturally saw a kid outside the chippy the other night decked out in full Man City colours, shorts and socks included. I see those sky-blues colours frequently now.

As Russel85 said, I'd rather see a Rovers top than Man City, Arsenal, or Chelsea.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

But what if they are not from this locality or have allegiances based on where their parents grew up? Migration is often a factor.

Obviously thats different - but 9 times out of 10, thats not the case.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OneCity said:

Proof of plasticity comes in the shape of Man U tops dominating 20 years ago. Saw kids all over the place proudly wearing their kit. Now it's Man City. They're the big boys now. So naturally saw a kid outside the chippy the other night decked out in full Man City colours, shorts and socks included. I see those sky-blues colours frequently now.

As Russel85 said, I'd rather see a Rovers top than Man City, Arsenal, or Chelsea.

Easy mistake to make.

The sky blue colour is ours now.  Jon Lansdown told me. 

It was probably Lee Johnson in the training kit. 

5 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Blimey when i was at school if you wore a different teams shirt for everyday of the week, you wouldn't have fitted in, intact it was a miracle if our parents could afford one replica top, 

My parents couldn't afford to buy replica shirts, the only shirts I had were the season befores Blackhorse Boys Club ones as my Gramps used to help run it, and I used to help him do the pitch lines and put up the goal nets every Saturday morning!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, SBB said:

I do the same now for my lad. He no longer wears them but it’s like a tradition, wherever I’ve been for work or pleasure, I’ll always bring him back the local shirt. I’ve got boxes full of random teams in the loft.

I’m kind of the same, but countries not clubs. 
Wherever we go in the world I bring back a replica shirt of that country’s national team. One for my son and another for myself. He does the same when he goes abroad. 
I used to wear them when playing 5-a-side. 
The ones from the far east (China, Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia), although XL size, don’t fit our enormous western bulks though - they are VERY snug ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Also this has just reminded me

Someone in the away end saturday looked like they were wearing a Man United shirt, the new Green and White striped monstrosity

I thought that was odd, to actually go to a City game in a different team's top

Seen it before at AG on occasion. Don't get away that often but definitely seen it before- shirt of neither the home or away side.

Groundhopper maybe.

7 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

This is one thing that City have got spot on - the free shirt with the U12s season ticket. 

On this very subject, (and sorry if this has been discussed) any idea how to claim them this season? Both Children will want to get theirs when we head to the Gate this weekend (stock depending) but not sure if I have missed on how to claim for the shirts like previous seasons. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, SBB said:

I can understand someone spending a fortune on shirts to display but if they end up in boxes in the loft, clearly not valued, one step from the tip

19 minutes ago, The turtle said:

In malaga at the mo.

Seen malaga shirts everywhere (more than normal. (Having at least 3 club shops probably helps a lot)

But also lots of bilbao, lots of sociaded.

And of course, the international shirts from most of europe

I’m still hoping to move out there in retirement (well, Marbella actually, but I know that part of the Costa very well), if I can find a way around the post-Brexit 90 day rule. 
If this happens then I’d definitely make the effort to go to a few Malaga games - and probably make them my ‘second’ team. 
I’ve never had one to-date. 

19 hours ago, redkev said:

Went over to Cardiff today with Mrs Kev for some retail therapy ( always prefer Cardiff shopping ) and a couple of ??, I always look out for the sheepshaggers whilst I’m wandering around behind her laden with Primark ( I mean Armani bags ) but today no sign of them . 3 Man Utd shirts /  6 Chelsea shirts ( near station so probably on way to game ) 2 Liverpool Shirts ( sat in boozer I was in so not going to game ) 1 Newcastle shirt 1 Arsenal shirt 2 qpr shirts again near station so probably heading back to London 1 wales shirt but pride of place goes to bloke walking loud & proud around shopping centre with England shirt on ?  , also a lad with a Swansea track suit top 

so as the title says it’s not just Bristol where you see the plastic prem fans 

I’ve got quite a few friends from Cardiff, all of them either Liverpool, Man U or Arsenal fans none really follow Cardiff..

They are the first to slag the England National team off though or support whoever we are playing yet adore our English Premier league clubs. A confused bunch.

I’m in Buckinghamshire and playing for the work football team tonight.

We all generally wear a football teams shirt so we have;

1 Bristol City

1 Derby

2 Spurs

1 West Ham

1 Man U

1 Shrewsbury

1 Rugby top of I don’t know who

1 Celtic

3 Watford

3 Arsenal

and 1 guy wears a different knock off shirt each week. He had Chinas shirt last time I saw him!

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Im thinking about this now, boxes of shirts that could imply thousands, im thinking at least 500? Thats not unreasonable when you do the maths, is it?

Probably have 250-300 shirts, including all city kits. The money was never important, the excitement on my lads face not knowing which kit he was going to get and then watching him wear it to training/kick abouts, was more than worth it. They are in boxes for my memories more than anything, picking up a shirt the size of a car air freshener now and remembering how much he loved them at the time. 

27 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Me, too, the more I read the crassness of this thread, I honestly don't think some people got a clue, how bad they sound  glad im from a different generation tbh, to say spoilt I think many would agree

Next time I’m away with work, I’ll try and think twice before buying anymore and keep in mind you and your Nans scarf, if it makes you feel any better?

29 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Me, too, the more I read the crassness of this thread, I honestly don't think some people got a clue, how bad they sound  glad im from a different generation tbh, to say spoilt I think many would agree

You've posted a few times in this thead that I've no idea what you're getting at, but this has baffled me the most.

What do you mean by "the crassness of this thread"?

"behaviour that is stupid and does not consider how other people might feel"

I've not seen anything of the sort, it's been an interesting discussion about different shirts spotted and collections.

No idea what you're on about being spoilt

2 minutes ago, SBB said:

Next time I’m away with work, I’ll try and think twice before buying anymore and keep in mind you and your Nans scarf, if it makes you feel any better?

I think someone's still on the celebratory cides from Saturday!

• Like 1