IGNORED

Going Backwards...

Literally, as well as figuratively...

I've been a Nige supporter throughout the whole rebuild process but, this is your team now Nige. The clear out is pretty much done and we've got a number of decent, exciting players now

We all bought season tickets because we were excited about the prospect but the statistic of ZERO shots on target in a home match (plus Preston wasn't much better) is a complete and total embarrassment 

We buzzed around a bit but we didn't trouble Birmingham at all today, they swatted us away like a irritating fly and were completely in their comfort zone, with the singular exception of Nakhi's chance

I don't know if it's your instruction but not one player took responsibility for taking the attack to the opposition. Instead, we just pass, pass, pass, pass, with little to no purpose. They had time to dig trenches whilst we prepared our laboured attack

Let's get real, Man City, Bayern, Real Madrid and Brighton can pass their way through teams, WE DO NOT HAVE THAT ABILITY yet, we seem to think that we do.

In reality, we pass it around with no real purpose for a bit and then end up banging a long ball over the top. If we're going to do this, then at least have players chasing but only a couple do

This is really not good enough Nige, you have to take the handbrake off and let players attack the opposition otherwise very soon, the football is going to start being compared to the Lee Johnson sideways and backwards stuff as he came to the end and when those comparisons start, it's not long before the writing is on the wall

This team is capable of playing attacking football at home so, let's see it instead of the turgid, pass for the sake of it with no real clue stuff that  we've been served up so far ..

Thanks for listening....

Edited by Scrumpys Dietary Advisor..
  • Like 11

Pearson always holds out too long when the obvious is in front of him and the plan b is staring everyone in the face but he won't pull the trigger until the last second ( change in formation last year etc etc) 

The problem is this time I don't think we have a plan b unless we buy one. If we don't I genuinely think we will go down.

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

Let's get real, Man City, Bayern, Real Madrid and Brighton can pass their way through teams, WE DO NOT HAVE THAT ABILITY yet, we seem to think that we do.

In reality, we pass it around with no real purpose for a bit and then end up banging a long ball over the top. If we're going to do this, then at least have players chasing but only a couple do

This is really not good enough Nige, you have to take the handbrake off and let players attack the opposition otherwise very soon, the football is going to start being compared to the Lee Johnson sideways and backwards stuff as he came to the end and when those comparisons start, it's not long before the writing is on the wall

A couple of points (meant as genuine questions, rather than a dig).

1. If you don't think we're good enough to pass the ball through the opposition, and you don't like us going long, then how do you want us to attack?

2. Do you really think that Pearson isn't letting our players attack?

5 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Pearson always holds out too long when the obvious is in front of him and the plan b is staring everyone in the face but he won't pull the trigger until the last second ( change in formation last year etc etc) 

The problem is this time I don't think we have a plan b unless we buy one. If we don't I genuinely think we will go down.

Every season under Pearson a few people claim we're in danger of relegation, and every season we are absolutely nowhere near going down.

As frustrating as it was today, surely you don't think we're one of the 3 worst sides in the league?

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Every season under Pearson a few people claim we're in danger of relegation, and every season we are absolutely nowhere near going down.

As frustrating as it was today, surely you don't think we're one of the 3 worst sides in the league?

Out of interest, who are your bottom three this season?

We (mates I go with) were discussing this before the Preston game and by half time we all felt we might be watching two of them ?

Not entirely serious, of course, this early on, but I didn’t see much to change that view today. 

10 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Play like we did today every week and we will be in a relegation battle. It was that bad, and it wasn’t just that Birmingham were better than us, which they were. We were very poor throughout the team, plus no shots on target usually means no goals.

15 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I haven't seen much to suggest otherwise. We are currently on 3 shots on target after 3 games. That's worrying 

Edited by BasSavage88
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Out of interest, who are your bottom three this season?

We (mates I go with) were discussing this before the Preston game and by half time we all felt we might be watching two of them ?

Not entirely serious, of course, this early on, but I didn’t see much to change that view today. 

My pre-season prediction was Sheffield Wednesday, QPR, and Rotherham. It's looking pretty plausible so far.

Even if it's not those 3 though, I'd be shocked for us to finish in the bottom 6.

13 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

I haven't seen much to suggest otherwise. We are currently on 3 shots on target after 3 games. That's worrying 

The lack of creativity is my biggest concern too. You're right, averaging 1 shot on target per game is awful.

We're operating with a small squad and not having Conway, Weimann and McCrorie are all big losses. We also haven't replaced Scott and we know how Pearson feels about that. I don't see how anyone else would get much more out of the resources, besides which ten games in is normally the minimum time on which to judge how teams are going to shape up. I think we're all disappointed but it's too early to call for change now. 

FFS,I don't even want to talk about the likelihood of us finishing bottom 3, the ambition is to finish at least top 10 if not better. 

The squad we have now should be capable of that but the really worrying thing is that they look like they've had the life sucked out if them.

Only Sykes and Sam wanted to take players on today, it didn't work too well for Sam cos the fullback worked out he tried to cut back every time but at least he tried. Ironically, our best chance of the game came from the time he didn't cut it back 

Anis looks a pale shadow of the player we got excited about, he was going to be our maverick but its like he's  been shackled

Still, I guess we shouldn't have expected anything else, our home record against Birmingham in the last 25 years is nothing short of absymal. 13 league games which we have won 2 of with 1 draw and 10 defeats 

Basically, it's 3 points, gift wrapped for them every time

Edited by Scrumpys Dietary Advisor..
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

FFS,I don't even want to talk about the likelihood of us finishing bottom 3, the ambition is to finish at least top 10 if not better. 

The squad we have now should be capable of that but the really worrying thing is that they look like they've had the life sucked out if them.

Only Sykes and Sam wanted to take players on today, it didn't work too well for Sam cos the fullback worked out he tried to cut back every time but at least he tried. Ironically, our best chance of the game came from the time he didn't cut it back 

Anis looks a pale shadow of the player we got excited about, he was going to be our maverick but its like he's  been shackled

Still, I guess we shouldn't have expected anything else, our home record against Birmingham in the last 25 years is nothing short of absymal. 13 league games which we have won 2 of with 1 draw and 10 defeats 

Interesting the Mehmeti thing. Not the first time we have managed to make a maverick look ordinary after a few weeks at our place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Interesting the Mehmeti thing. Not the first time we have managed to make a maverick look ordinary after a few weeks at our place.

That’s a fact. However that’s happened for donkeys years and not a new phenomenon 

Mehmeti was constantly getting the ball when he was stationary and simply (at the moment) couldn’t beat his meat from a standing start. 

We need to find a way to beat a defense that sits deep and invite us to pass nowhere. 

Teams study each other and Birmingham took note of PNE. 

Away from home where the emphasis is on the home team will suit us more, but we need to fix what we’ve had at home so far. 

7 minutes ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

This was roughly my ambition for the season too, however I fear that the squad may not be good enough, especially with injuries to Atkinson and Conway, and of course the sale of Scott.

The front 3 are my biggest concern in terms of quality. Look at our front 3 today: Mehmeti, Bell, Cornick (Sykes and Wells on the bench). How many of those players get into the starting XI of the sides that will finish in the top 10? Mehmeti and Bell are promising, but not quite there yet. Sykes and Wells are steady, but unspectacular. Cornick has struggled so far.

I'm not sure that looks like a top 10 standard front 3 unfortunately. IMO, that's been reflected in the lack of threat we've shown so far this season.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phantom said:

FFS it's so early in the season 

I agree and think we will see better performances but we've played two home games and been largely crap in both. You can't blame fans for getting frustrated when both home games have been awful performances. I'd take some good performances and some actual attacking football but 2 shots on target in 193 minutes of football at home.... 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

That’s a fact. However that’s happened for donkeys years and not a new phenomenon 

Mehmeti was constantly getting the ball when he was stationary and simply (at the moment) couldn’t beat his meat from a standing start. 

We need to find a way to beat a defense that sits deep and invite us to pass nowhere. 

Teams study each other and Birmingham took note of PNE. 

Away from home where the emphasis is on the home team will suit us more, but we need to fix what we’ve had at home so far. 

Strikes me as deja vu from Eliasson, Dave - a player with undoubted ability but who we seem to have no clue how to utilise effectively. 

4 hours ago, WessexPest said:

Is Lansdown still looking to sell up? For all he’s moved us forward as a club it doesn’t feel like we will achieve much more on his watch. Better the Devil you know and all that, but I don’t expect much to change under his ownership sadly.

What’s yesterday’s performance got to do with Lansdown? Only one man to blame for that

• Flames 1

5 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Far to early to say who will be scrapping it out at the bottom - but we need to add to this squad otherwise yesterdays performance will not be a one off 

Birmingham we’re decent - but I still think their will be plenty of teams who will be better then then this season .

Yesterdays defeat didn’t bother me - it was the manner of the defeat. It was embarrassing - they looked like a squad of weaklings 

5 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

The bed wetters will always be out in force proclaiming a relegation battle is on the cards after a loss.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m certainly not happy with 0 shots on target at home. But as others have said it is still so early in the season, players to still come back and still time in the transfer window.

I can personally see us signing at least a couple more players before the window shuts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bris Red said:

The bed wetters will always be out in force proclaiming a relegation battle is on the cards after a loss.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m certainly not happy with 0 shots on target at home. But as others have said it is still so early in the season, players to still come back and still time in the transfer window.

I can personally see us signing at least a couple more players before the window shuts.

Maybe that's the plan (I'm trying to be positive), Nige throws a couple of games to convince SL that we need to spend something (or loans).

1 hour ago, TV Tom said:

What’s yesterday’s performance got to do with Lansdown? Only one man to blame for that

you mean the man who SL brought here, or maybe he brought himself here? a Yes..sterday man imo

Anyone else notice we have no players that can actually flat out beat there man with pace, both Birmingham wingers were absolutely flying past our players at points. We are told how our pace can hurt teams but I haven't seen any evidence of that. Bell is "quick" he isn't lightning speed,  apart from him and pring (who doesn't get foward) I feel we are actually a very slow team

• Like 1