IGNORED

Steve Lansdown……..

BCFC1512

27 minutes ago, shelts said:

Fair play to Uncle Steve and the money he’s put up , if I had that amount I’d seriously consider losing some of it at Ashton Gate . He hasn’t been a perfect owner , not really sure what is ?
I think the club is in a better position than when he bought it . We’ve had some good times . 
What’s all the talk about a nest egg , have I missed something?!

Rule One regarding the Nest Egg

Is NOT to talk about the Nest Egg

26 minutes ago, BarnzFM said:

For me it’s not a question of whether Landsdown is loyal and interested or not - he sees Bristol Sport as his legacy and I don’t see him losing interest in any aspect of it until that legacy is realised. 

The question for me is whether he can run a football club well, infrastructure aside he’s made mistake after mistake in a lot of the football decisions, specifically when it comes to managerial appointments or support for managers. Additionally I feel like he does have the football clubs best interests at heart but frankly I don’t think he has the fans best interests - I just can’t get over him saying it’s his club and putting his dumb son in charge.

Then the question is what does his legacy want to be? It should be delivering premier league football to Bristol, but it doesn’t seem to be the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The reality is that SL has invested a tiny proportion of his wealth. Tiny. 

There will be thousands of us that have invested far more as a percentage of wealth, or in most peoples case salary, than SL. 

If SL does lose the £200m+ he's invested in City (spoiler: he won't) then that's still approx £10m a year, and his wealth has grown at a far higher amount per year since 2002. 

What an unpleasant, ungrateful post.  Whatever the actual amount SL loses (I firmly believe it will be a very large number indeed, and SO WHAT if you think he should have put in even more), he will have left us with a fantastic stadium and an established Championship club.  I've seen far too many poor matches at crappy grounds in the third and fourth tiers not to be grateful for that.  Yes some things haven't worked out, but there is no magic formula for appointing successful managers, effective CEOs, great players that other clubs somehow don't want (and who want to come here), etc.

Personally I've invested precisely ZERO in the club.  I've paid for many many admission tickets, in return for which I've been able to watch games.  Some have been magical and some have been dire, but you know the range of possibilities when buying the ticket.  I've also paid for and received other City-related products.  But these are payments for goods/services, not investments

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

In all seriousness Shelts  to save you searching for the references , , it harps back to SLs interview in Guernsey after Scott was sold where he stated if we can sell a player for £25million each year (I know I know) it will build up a nice nest egg

Thanks for that . Nest  egg for himself or the club ?!!!

4 minutes ago, shelts said:

Thanks for that . Nest  egg for himself or the club ?!!!

Ohhhfor the Club Shelts

(For the next head coach of choice)

'we've got to bide our time' - 'we can't compete with the parachute payments' - 'if we can sell players for £25m every year we're building that nest egg up to be able to compete in the longer term' 

Edited by Sheltons Army

10 minutes ago, red panda said:

What an unpleasant, ungrateful post.  Whatever the actual amount SL loses (I firmly believe it will be a very large number indeed, and SO WHAT if you think he should have put in even more), he will have left us with a fantastic stadium and an established Championship club.  I've seen far too many poor matches at crappy grounds in the third and fourth tiers not to be grateful for that.  Yes some things haven't worked out, but there is no magic formula for appointing successful managers, effective CEOs, great players that other clubs somehow don't want (and who want to come here), etc.

Personally I've invested precisely ZERO in the club.  I've paid for many many admission tickets, in return for which I've been able to watch games.  Some have been magical and some have been dire, but you know the range of possibilities when buying the ticket.  I've also paid for and received other City-related products.  But these are payments for goods/services, not investments

Good grief. Carry on with your subservience and submissiveness...

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Ohhhfor the Club Shelts

(For the next head coach of choice)

'we've got to bide our time' - 'we can't compete with the parachute payments' - 'if we can sell players for £25m every year we're building that nest egg up to be able to compete in the longer term' 

A club egg !!

Hard to be patient as a football fan as where always casting envious looks at what others  are spending !!

If there’s one thing the sale of Scott proves it that’s SL is out solely for himself. He could not give a flying **** about the fans, backed up by previous comments about it being “my club”. No, Steve, you’re a deluded custodian.

I used to think he was a great benefactor but the fact of the matter is I, and thousands of other long-term sufferers, committed considerably more of our relative wealth towards supporting the City than he ever has.

That self-interest will eventually see him profiteer from selling the club or any variation of it, while we are left in limbo until he does sell up. The one positive is we have a manager of experience who might be able to achieve something against all odds. No doubt SL would take all credit if he does.

Edited by tin
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 2

4 minutes ago, tin said:

If there’s one thing the sale of Scott proves it that’s SL is out solely for himself. He could not give a flying **** about the fans, backed up by previous comments about it being “my club”. No, Steve, you’re a deluded custodian.

I used to think he was a great benefactor but the fact of the matter is I, and thousands of over long-term sufferers, committed considerably more of our relative wealth towards supporting the City than he ever has.

That self-interest will eventually see him profiteer from selling the club or any variation of it, while we are left in limbo until he does sell up. The one positive is we have a manager of experience who might be able to achieve something against all odds. No doubt SL would take all credit if he does.

Go and support the gas though ???‍♂️

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, red panda said:

This is quite possibly the best post I’ve read for many a year, people should be very very careful what they wish for, I’ve spent many of thousands of pounds over the last six decades with my eyes wide open knowing that the bad days massively outweigh good days 10 to 1

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, tin said:

I used to think he was a great benefactor but the fact of the matter is I, and thousands of over long-term sufferers, committed considerably more of our relative wealth towards supporting the City than he ever has.

You honestly believe that he will make any sort of profit from the club? When you are as wealthy as he is money is practically an irrelevance, just out of interest (and I’m fed up with asking this question on this forum with no reply) what is the alternative to SL?

He is in part a benefactor, in part it's about business. IMO.

Football from a business proposition is a shambles. Sure we should have spent on 2-3 more in the summer window but it is a joke and especially in the Championship.

On one level it's expected and de rigeur that an owner should subsidise mad football costs, on another level it really shouldn't be the case.

Rick Parry has been criticising the benefactor model for 2-3 years. 

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

To some critics, I would say he could have come in and run us on a cash breakeven basis from early, infrastructure aside.

Or he could have run us at the Lower Limit once FFP came in, so he could have run us in a more penny pinching manner. Of course thst woukd have reduced his chances of a return ie made promotion to the PL even less likely than it is.

Worth checking the Balance Sheet for several years we were by one definition technically insolvent. Nothing unusual in football of course but we were.

8 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

You honestly believe that he will make any sort of profit from the club? When you are as wealthy as he is money is practically an irrelevance, just out of interest (and I’m fed up with asking this question on this forum with no reply) what is the alternative to SL?

Yes, I do. While he’s a mug when it comes to football, he’s no mug when it comes to money. I have no doubt he will make a decent wedge when he sells. And you’re probably fed up asking the same question as nobody has a crystal ball. Broadly speaking, the alternative is a new owner with ambition.

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

In all seriousness Shelts  to save you searching for the references , , it harps back to SLs interview in Guernsey after Scott was sold where he stated if we can sell a player for £25million each year (I know I know) it will build up a nice nest egg

Only One 25mill player a year?      Come on Steve show some  ambition.....sorry, what's  that?..........Ah! You meant to say,  every decade?

Edited by maxjak

15 minutes ago, tin said:

Yes, I do. While he’s a mug when it comes to football, he’s no mug when it comes to money. I have no doubt he will make a decent wedge when he sells. And you’re probably fed up asking the same question as nobody has a crystal ball. Broadly speaking, the alternative is a new owner with ambition.

I question whether the future direction of football will cap this somewhat.

A proposed 70 pct cap of football wages, amortisation and agents fees of turnover. How far can the owner funding at this level go in that scenario.

Rick Parry talking about weaning clubs off the benefactor model. This may prove to be a non starter but the plan is the 90-80-70 pct things settling on the latter and a significant increase in T.V. Revenue from fhe PL in conjunction with a huge reform of Parachute Payments.

For those intent on doffing their caps to Mr Lansdown and horrified at any criticism.....

I think you are missing a major point that for many it’s not how much money he’s spent during his tenure

its, certainly, currently

a) His ramblings ........and failure to understand the whys , about other clubs such as Luton

(bearing in mind the vast majority of both football and non football appointments under his tenure which are a major reason why his expenditure hasn’t been reflected on the football pitch)

and ,

b) now, the recent thought about selling a £25 million player annually and talk of Nest Eggs  (Yeah Good Luck With That - it’s like shelling peas)

(Seems to have forgotten how The Snake and Little Lee had his pants down with a similar plan , ewwww not 5 or 6 years ago ......led to a bit of a mess to say the least ......almost a capsize....the lifeboat he should be thankful to Nigel Pearson for steering ...which he overtly doesn’t appear to be...certainly in any public comments

Am I grateful for his tenure from a footballing perspective - No not really - His legacy won’t be a football one

As for money on bricks and mortar I find AG and some other modern stadiums a bit souless tbh but modernisation of facilities and experience for the modern fan and fans to come , and with added financial income through capacity and the day to day use , it has to be a positive so for the health of the club credit and thanks 

I actually think the best money he’s spent in his tenure , and the biggest lasting asset ,  is actually at Failand 

The facility has undoubtedly benefitted us since it’s build in all sorts of ways and will continue to do so for the immediate future 

it’s just a shame he didn’t take Danny Wilson’s advice some 20 years or so ago and acted then

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TV Tom said:

This is quite possibly the best post I’ve read for many a year, people should be very very careful what they wish for, I’ve spent many of thousands of pounds over the last six decades with my eyes wide open knowing that the bad days massively outweigh good days 10 to 1

Why?

If SL sells us to a “shit owner” it really reflects that he’s either a) not done his due diligence or b) doesn’t care as long as it gets sold.

??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

To be fair prospective new owners can seem okay at time of sale- both to the seller and the League- only for it to go belly up years later.

When Mel Morris purchased Derby in 2015, what indicators were there that he would tip them into near disaster. None probably.

Wealthy guy from Derbyshire, apparent Derby fan..seems perfect right.

Chansiri and Yongge or Wigan owners maybe less certain but I expect at least some of them started off in the right way.

If he sells to any old idiot just to offload that's different but even excellent due diligence cannot future proof against future implosion.

Clearly he should choose the most appropriate candidate possible.

• Like 1

There is a certain amount of credit that is due to SL for the infrastructure but correct me if I'm wrong - the money spent on those things is all debt, it wasn't a gift. My challenge is that he has been at the club 25 years - I would expect that most clubs need to do some updates to there infrastructure every 25 years.

Weren't these just things that needed doing? Weren't they things that probably should have been done earlier in his tenure?

So what has he actually done other than what he should have done (bare minimum) funded with a line of cheap credit?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1