IGNORED

a talk about Harry Dolman

Never to the dark side

Tuesday 26th September 2023, 7.30pm

Yate Lecture Series: Harry Dolman

Yate Heritage Centre

7.30-9pm

Clive Burlton discusses the history of Bristol legend Harry Dolman, engineer, businessman, sports fan and much more.

Admission £2 or free for Friends of Yate Heritage Centre. Booking is essential. Funded by Friends of YHC.

Presented by Yate Town Council with Yate and District Heritage Centre events. For more information please contact the Heritage Centre on 01454 862200.

• Like 2

Just a random flashback for me regarding Harry..... I was an apprentice at Strachan & Henshaw. When we went to day release college next to the Pineapple once a week, the Brecknal Dolman & Rogers were apprentices were getting paid more than us!

I was on £3 14s and 6d per week.

As you were.  ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 42nite said:

Just a random flashback for me regarding Harry..... I was an apprentice at Strachan & Henshaw. When we went to day release college next to the Pineapple once a week, the Brecknal Dolman & Rogers were apprentices were getting paid more than us!

I was on £3 14s and 6d per week.

As you were.  ?

My old man worked at BDR & said Dolman paid workers more than all his competitors but refused to have Trades Unions on site, so no pay negotiation ever took place, it was take it or leave it.

As for the comments above about the pathetic sound system in the stand that bears his name, the bloke was a genius in terms of light industry, if he was still around & had anything to do with how it functioned I expect it would be state of the art, as opposed to useless.

• Like 2