IGNORED

Guess the year..

B1ackbird

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I’d dispute that McClaren and Galliers were terrible.  Both were good players: McClaren was a classy midfielder and Steve Galliers was a little terrier, particularly given that at the time I believe he was the shortest player in league football.  However Joe Jordan clearly didn’t think they were quite what we needed, because he brought in Dave Rennie and converted him from a centre half to midfield; Paul Wimbleton, who was not a success; and then the ace in the pack, Gary Shelton.

I never rated Galliers, I actually thought he was pretty crap in the games I saw (I wasn’t a regular admittedly).  I think his reputation as little hard man from Wimbledon preceded him.

But accept others thought he was much better.

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I’d dispute that McClaren and Galliers were terrible.  Both were good players: McClaren was a classy midfielder and Steve Galliers was a little terrier, particularly given that at the time I believe he was the shortest player in league football.  However Joe Jordan clearly didn’t think they were quite what we needed, because he brought in Dave Rennie and converted him from a centre half to midfield; Paul Wimbleton, who was not a success; and then the ace in the pack, Gary Shelton.

McClaren said subsequently that whilst with us he was consistently troubled by a hip injury that caused him to retire at Oxford not too long after we had swapped him for Gary Shelton, so it is the case that we absolutely did not ever see the Derby County player in BS3.

Galliers was in my opinion a terrible footballer, a complete stranger to the ball, he had a certain reputation because he came to us from Wimbledon where he fitted in seamlessly because (like Dave Martin) he kicked anything that moved. He was awful for us but because of this Crazy Gang kicking opponents stuff, he’s looked back on more fondly than he deserves, when actually he was shit.

Next stop for him was Maidstone United, that really says it all.

There was a good reason we had awful results that season, that side looked far better on paper than grass.

42 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

McClaren said subsequently that whilst with us he was consistently troubled by a hip injury that caused him to retire at Oxford not too long after we had swapped him for Gary Shelton, so it is the case that we absolutely did not ever see the Derby County player in BS3.

Galliers was in my opinion a terrible footballer, a complete stranger to the ball, he had a certain reputation because he came to us from Wimbledon where he fitted in seamlessly because (like Dave Martin) he kicked anything that moved. He was awful for us but because of this Crazy Gang kicking opponents stuff, he’s looked back on more fondly than he deserves, when actually he was shit.

There was a good reason we had awful results that season, that side looked far better on paper than grass.

Not just me then….a club of two members 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Perhaps I was just fascinated by the fact that such a diminutive figure could be such a violent little s*d!