IGNORED

Francis Lee

pillred

52 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Used to sometimes get accused of diving but a proper striker and a true Man City legend, despite the number of times that word gets bandied around. Made a fortune in the paper industry after retiring from the game. RIP Franny. Sincere condolences to his family and friends. 

Bog rolls from memory

• Like 1

In the 1963 big freeze from Boxing day to end of March, I was working in London through February. So I went to see as many games there as possible. I saw Bolton at Highbury, lose 2-3 to Arsenal, with an 18 year old Francis Lee. Pitch frozen solid so hardly good for quality football but I at least saw a very good player.

PS. Snow was still piled up just outside of the pitch and young boys at the front of terrace, were throwing snowballs at the coppers and then facing the return snowballs from the police. Couldn't happen now as the boys would be called delinquents and the police would be charged with grievous bodily harm!

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 1

Heard Joe Royle interviewed on Radio 4 this morning, when he mentioned about playing for us with Norman Hunter and how Norman described that incident with Frannie Lee, particularly as he had played with both of them. Apparently after they went off the pitch, Frannie was banging on the Leeds changing room door for Norman to come out and for them to finish it off properly!

• Haha 1