IGNORED

LM vs LJ

formerly known as ivan

Hearing a lot of similarities between Manning and Lee Johnson. Young up and coming coach, attention to detail, philosophy, forward thinking and ready to take us to the next level.

Is it a fair comparison or are they miles apart? How long before we hear Manning talking about the measurements of the grass or balls in the box?

What is the biggest difference that will give Manning the chance to succeed where Johnson failed?

Manning has significantly more experience. He’s interesting in that he’s very young for a manager but also has 15+ years experience of coaching and 3 previous clubs. He had all three battling at the top of their respective leagues, though struggled at the end of his MK Dons tenure after having his squad pillaged.

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, Cristored said:

Lazy comparison. Manning streets ahead of LJ. 

Of that there is little doubt.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

It won’t happen, but I just want everyone to judge LM on his own merits.

I think most will, there are some serious doubts about his lack of experience at this level, but no question that he has had relative success below the championship.

QPR is just one game, but a bit like cornick’s miss in  his first game the result is all important for future belief.

2 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Of that there is little doubt.

I think most will, there are some serious doubts about his lack of experience at this level, but no question that he has had relative success below the championship.

QPR is just one game, but a bit like cornick’s miss in  his first game the result is all important for future belief.

I would argue that there were serious doubts about Pearson at this level, due to the big time frame between coming here and his success….look at Hughes at Bradford sacked in L2 despite being a former prem regular manager.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Cristored said:

I would argue that there were serious doubts about Pearson at this level, due to the big time frame between coming here and his success….look at Hughes at Bradford sacked in L2 despite being a former prem regular manager.

Not sure you have replied to my post?

However I’m talking about self belief moving forward, LM will definitely have some doubts about operating at Championship level, a win at QPR will go some to calming those first game nerves, I’m convinced Cornick would have been a better player had he converted that first golden chance.

16 minutes ago, Henry said:

Miles apart. I think Manning is closer to Pearson in more ways. When he talks about behaviours as working hard, running, winning hun duels, wanting to learn. It’s pretty similar to Nige.

Yep LM seems more like a younger version of our never to be forgotten NP? ........   Rather than any kind of similarity to Little Lee, I would like to think that our new coach would get on well with NP, as  their football philosophies  appear to be of a similar nature?    I am aware that it could never happen, but with NP as manager and LM as coach we would have had the Dream Team!  Ha! 

Edited by maxjak

23 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Is more coaching more beneficial to having a career playing though? Genuinely interested, this not a dig at either manager, just want to know peoples thoughts in what will make them different.

Following his appointment I read a post asking whether he'd actually played professionally ( in response to his 20 or so years coaching).

When I was in financial services it was often said that the best salespeople invariably don't make the best sales managers. Different qualities and skills are required for each roll.

Many top players are expected to succeed in management or coaching because of their experience of being coached/managed by top coaches and managers. Despite this, many fail.

I'd like to think that Manning's coaching experience and knowledge,despite his age, is of greater value in his roll than would be having played at the top of the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Hearing a lot of similarities between Manning and Lee Johnson. Young up and coming coach, attention to detail, philosophy, forward thinking and ready to take us to the next level.

Is it a fair comparison or are they miles apart? How long before we hear Manning talking about the measurements of the grass or balls in the box?

What is the biggest difference that will give Manning the chance to succeed where Johnson failed?

The only similarity is they are (were) in LJ’s case young . Johnson didn’t have a philosophy . Plus LM is straighter talking & no bullshit bingo 

54 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Less bullshit? 
no camel coat and flat cap?

not GJ’s son?

not ex player?

12 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Following his appointment I read a post asking whether he'd actually played professionally ( in response to his 20 or so years coaching).

When I was in financial services it was often said that the best salespeople invariably don't make the best sales managers. Different qualities and skills are required for each roll.

Many top players are expected to succeed in management or coaching because of their experience of being coached/managed by top coaches and managers. Despite this, many fail.

I'd like to think that Manning's coaching experience and knowledge,despite his age, is of greater value in his roll than would be having played at the top of the game.

One very good example of a great manager who never played professional football is Lawrie McMacMennamy of Southampton.

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

One very good example of a great manager who never played professional football is Lawrie McMacMennamy of Southampton.

Very Big Mac then! :D

Correct re LM ( ex military iirc). Plenty of others without prominent playing careers - Mourinho and Wenger perhaps the most obvious.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, downendcity said:

It all depends on whether he will get the respect from the senior players.  I would hope he will but I can imagine some players don't want to be told how to play by someone that didn't play. 

• Like 1

If anyone, he sounds a lot more like Sean O’Driscoll. 
Processes not outcomes. 
Younger players can teach older players. 
Basics are free (hard work, running, effort etc). 
Give players the right information to be able to make their own decisions on the pitch. 

All SOD sound bites too. I see a lot of similarities. 
And that’s not a bad thing. SOD had the right principles - it just failed badly here

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1