3rd Season: AD 14. NP 14
4th Season: AD 19. NP 11 *
5th Season: AD 8
6th Season: AD 5
7th Season: AD 16
8th Season: AD 5
9th Season: AD 2

* current position of BCFC

AD was a superb young manager at the start of his career. Nigel has already been round the block several times.  AD had just been appointed when I started watching City and will always be very highly rated in my biased eyes. Nigel was just what we needed at the time and I believe he would have taken us further, but that is the past and LM is the future. Let's hope for all our sakes that he has a brilliant City career.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

I saw a lot of similarities between Dicks and Pearson which is why I felt buoyed by the appointment.

Dicks downfall was his unwavering loyalty to his 'boys', but anyone who understands the history is that there was a lot of squabbling in the board room, lots of ego's and costly power struggles.

They do say history repeats itself........

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Ian Hall said:

comparison of tier 2 league position under Alan Dicks and Pearson:
1st Part Season: AD 19. NP 19
2nd Season: AD 16. NP 17
3rd Season: AD 14. NP 14
4th Season: AD 19. NP 11 *
5th Season: AD 8

According to his biography Dolman wanted to get rid of him after season 7 but the board persuaded him to give him one more season, the 5th place and the cup run that included beating the up to then unbeaten Leeds, gave him the breathing space to get promotion. 

He was also much more a tracksuit Manager than Pearson, which was actually quite a novelty around that time.

• Like 1

No social media then.

Well before my time, how did fans demonstrate discontent with a manager..letters, chants and or banners I'm guessing.

Clearly you'd never get 9 years to try for promotion these days but that is presicsent. That timeline of positions is wow.

Otoh no Parachute Payments, no huge overwhelming lure of the PL, no FFP in the back of the mind to balance out.

My preference would have been to offer NP a new 3 year deal ie taking effect from when his existing one ended and more of a budget.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ian Hall said:

comparison of tier 2 league position under Alan Dicks and Pearson:
1st Part Season: AD 19. NP 19  LJ 18
2nd Season: AD 16. NP 17. LJ 17
3rd Season: AD 14. NP 14.  LJ 11
4th Season: AD 19. NP 11 *.  LJ 8
5th Season: AD 8.                 LJ 12* 

Just added another comparator......😉😏

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

According to his biography Dolman wanted to get rid of him after season 7 but the board persuaded him to give him one more season, the 5th place and the cup run that included beating the up to then unbeaten Leeds, gave him the breathing space to get promotion. 

He was also much more a tracksuit Manager than Pearson, which was actually quite a novelty around that time.

I remember wandering into the enclosure once - I guess it was in the school hols, and watched 10 minutes of first team training session on the pitch. I remember AD feeding ball out to a player (sorry it tails off, but it would have been about 45 years ago).

• Like 1

The Dicks era is why I’m relatively patient about us getting to the Premier League and I thought Pearson was going to get us there eventually like Dicks did. I still have promotion pencilled in for 2025-26 - so the same length of time in this division as last time and promotion 50 years since last time. Dicks was even younger than Manning when he was appointed (aged 33) so let’s hope another young coach can see us over the line.