IGNORED

First impressions post Nige

Randy Marsh II

5 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

My thoughts are that it is irrelevant how Oxford play. They're in League One. Championship is a big step up(apart from Ipswich 🙄)

Also any new coach/manager would surely have encouraged the players to stick with Pearson's style of play for today's game and then use the international break to work on their own particular way that they want to affect change.

It’s highly relevant. We looked at how he played there and liked it. 
Yes it’s a step up in quality in this division. The players at his disposal at Oxford (the midfield trio at least) are high end League 1 players, nay, even championship level players. 
The key difference here is that the central midfield trio are not high end players in this division. Therefore we will struggle to impose OUR game onto them. 
So Oxford is very relevant, because the manager has been recruited because of his style he played there. But I’m afraid he will have quickly learned today that JL and BT have not built a promotion challenging squad. 

This is no dig at Manning. I actually liked his style of play and I want him to succeed here. But he’s gonna need a number of replacements to do so. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

We’ve had shockers this season, let’s not pretend we’ve played well for many games since august 

We've also had rolling injuries. Parts of the Preston and most of Birmingham at home stand out as the real disappointing matches.

Vs Stoke the better side lost. Otherwise we have in different ways been quite cohesive.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

No chance we would have been challenging top 6

Exactly. We would be a comfortable mid table side. Now I fear we could be an uncomfortable mid table side with our eyes looking over our shoulder. 

Hope I am wrong. But said it before this has set us back 12 - 18 months 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yes it’s a step up in quality in this division. The players at his disposal at Oxford (the midfield trio at least) are high end League 1 players, nay, even championship level players. 
The key difference here is that the central midfield trio are not high end players in this division. Therefore we will struggle to impose OUR game onto them. 
So Oxford is very relevant, because the manager has been recruited because of his style he played there. But I’m afraid he will have quickly learned today that JL and BT have not built a promotion challenging squad. 

This is no dig at Manning. I actually liked his style of play and I want him to succeed here. But he’s gonna need a number of replacements to do so. 

They’re all ready and waiting in our academy Har!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Harry said:

So, I think he’ll have discovered today that he doesn’t have the players to play the way he wants - which was my primary concern from day 1. 
And that’s not Manning’s fault. He has his style of play, we recruited him, but we don’t have the players that suit him. We have runners, tryers, grafters, but not much ball quality. 
Good luck Liam……. 

Out of interest Harry- let me know which Manager in BCFC history who has taken over believed that they had the players to play the way they wanted. FFS- Nige didnt after almost 3 years and 6 transfer windows!

21 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

So if he's far better than the players he's coaching then he has the ability to make them better? 

With Nige we were capable of challenging for the top 6 this season. We would have won today and been 2 points off the play offs.

Ripping up everything and starting again with heavy investment is going back to the LJ days.

You are increasingly losing an ability to stay rational. Seek help.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Out of interest Harry- let me know which Manager in BCFC history who has taken over believed that they had the players to play the way they wanted. FFS- Nige didnt after almost 3 years and 6 transfer windows!

I don’t know the guy but his ramblings re:Pearson are not rational.

• Like 1

Just now, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Stop quoting me.

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

And we had 7 injuries today. 

Vs a side with 1 point at home in 6 League games, conceding 2 goals a game at home.

The key thing for me is, did we look cohesive? In said Birmingham gsme btw ad we all know, Wells missed a glorious chance. 10 v 11 but it may have swung a bit in our favour.

37 minutes ago, Harry said:

Too early to judge Manning and that would be extremely unfair. 
I could see a couple of things that he tried to tweek. Based on watching a few Oxford games this week I could see he was trying to do a couple of the things he did there. 

The Oxford centre midfield is quick in possession and quick in recovery too. I think by starting Knight in the deeper CM role alongside James was designed to get some more legs/energy in that position. Then trying Weimann as a 10 was designed to get plenty of legs in that area too. 
However, I think Manning might have been a little surprised at how poor some of our players are in possession. 
Knight, for all his energy and determination, made a number of passing errors.  And Weimann just didn’t get in the game. 
So those 2 little tweeks didn’t work. Manning will learn from that I hope. 

Again, having watched Oxford a number of times this week, his centre backs aren’t necessarily pinging the ball around. They tend to play short passes into the midfield or into the number 10 coming toward them. They then rely on the 2 CM’s and the AM to retain possession and begin to force the play and play forward. 
I think Manning will again have learned today that Vyner isn’t the best distributor of the ball, but if he gives it short to James he basically just gets it back off of him again. This doesn’t happen with Oxford. The CB’s aren’t continually exchanging passes with the CM’s. It’s the CM’s job to turn and create and force. Because our CM’s aren’t very good at that they tend to knock it back to the CB’s too much and don’t take responsibility themselves. It’s too easy for them to pass the responsibility on to someone else. 
Plus there is no AM who can confidently receive the ball with back to goal coming back deep, so our CB’s are forced to play long - which they’re not good at. 

So, I think he’ll have discovered today that he doesn’t have the players to play the way he wants - which was my primary concern from day 1. 
And that’s not Manning’s fault. He has his style of play, we recruited him, but we don’t have the players that suit him. We have runners, tryers, grafters, but not much ball quality. 
Good luck Liam……. 

You have said similiar all the way through tbf. He's clearly not the manager for our players and not a manager to play 'front foot' attacking football as per Lansdown.

Today has done nothing to allay my shock sadness and even fear now

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

There is OT being paid at Bristol Sport or Gas chat is a bit slow tonight. 

I don’t know why anyone bothers to answer posts by new or rare posters on threads like this. 

For the record today we were pony until TGH and Bell made a pass and provided energy. 

Manning has it all to prove as JL put him in place to get promotion this season. 😆 No pressure there then!

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

You have said similiar all the way through tbf. He's clearly not the manager for our players and not a manager to play 'front foot' attacking football as per Lansdown.

Today has done nothing to allay my shock sadness and even fear now

Don’t get me wrong, I am actually really really encouraged by the appointment of Manning. I’ve seen a lot of the 2 teams he’s put together in league 1 and I really like them. 
I really want Manning to succeed. 
The issue I have is that BT & JL think our players are top end for this division. And they are wrong. 

• Like 4

Being honest, I felt completely underwhelmed by the NP sacking and that feeling hasn’t changed. Despite watching City for over 30 years, I have absolutely no enthusiasm towards City right now and it was even hard work having to come to the Sheff Wed’s game. I sincerely hope this feeling changes but can’t help feel at the moment that the relationship between the club, and most of its fans, is totally broken, and sadly the trust has gone with that breakage too.

I just live in hope that a buyer comes in soon, as after NP stabilised matters very well and cleared a lot of toxicity, this latest episode feels like we have taken a couple of steps back, again - it has been proved that the Lansdown’s have absolutely no idea how to run a football club..!

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

20 minutes ago, Harry said:

Replacements were not in the remit. This squad is good enough. That is the message from on high.

• Like 4

Just now, Harry said:

Don’t get me wrong, I am actually really really encouraged by the appointment of Manning. I’ve seen a lot of the 2 teams he’s put together in league 1 and I really like them. 
I really want Manning to succeed. 
The issue I have is that BT & JL think our players are top end for this division. And they are wrong. 

Absolute waste of another season to start again with an unnecessary reset. This squad needed an attacking midfielder replacement for the more deep lying Scott and I believe Pearson would have had us challenging either this season or certainly by next season

• Like 12
  • Flames 1