IGNORED

First impressions post Nige

Randy Marsh II

5 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

You reckon we played well?

41 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

worst football we’ve played in 18 months.  

You are such a silly pants!

Nowhere have I said we played well , average or bad.

If you think today was the worst football we've played in 18 months then I suspect you haven't gone to any matches.

You should try it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

You are such a silly pants!

Nowhere have I said we played well , average or bad.

If you think today was the worst football we've played in 18 months then I suspect you haven't gone to any matches.

You should try it.

Yeah you’re right mate,  not been to a game.

You get a taxi or walk to Lancaster Gate today?

3 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Agreed. But we know that statement for what it it is/was. I've been quite clear on what I believe happened and it's pointless for anyone ( not aimed at you) to forever state that anyone at BCFC genuinely believed that the squad as it is , is promotion material. Jon told a corporate lie and Nigel got sacked for other reasons. End of. It's just a case that, unlike the majority on here- I don't care and largely agree with the sacking but just not the timing.

I agree that the reasons for the departure have been suspect. However, I think you’re being to kind to Jon & Brian. 
I genuinely believe that they genuinely think this squad is good enough. And that’s a huge concern for me. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I agree that the reasons for the departure have been suspect. However, I think you’re being to kind to Jon & Brian. 
I genuinely believe that they genuinely think this squad is good enough. And that’s a huge concern for me. 

Yep - you may be right and that would be worrying indeed. I maintain that they used that statement as an excuse and they think no such thing. Time will tell as will any transfer budget.

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

I do too.

In real simplicity I see the Champ in groups.  It’s not equal groups, but there is a middling group that’s quite large.  And I think they think that with the wind behind, clutch in we could finish at the top of that group, and that might be enough to sneak in.  And they think a new manager / head-coach can do that.  They might be right, but over the past couple of season we’ve rarely achieved a block of 6 games at top-six level, let alone sustain it for 12, 20 or 46 games.

I they call me Spreadsheet Boy for a reason! 😉

image.thumb.png.e2a781d918d7c0c482015c9fee2534bb.png

But look at how few times we’ve averaged 10 or more points in a 6-game block - very few, and then only for a short period.  Over the last 15 years the average points for top 6 is 73.8 which is 9.63 points per 6 match run….hence why I said 10 or more, 9 isn’t enough!

To base a promotion season on the evidence leaves two answers:

• delusion
  • Nige has underperformed

if you correlate those peaks to availability, you can see why they (the hierarchy) might think that it’s just a simple case of keeping players fit.  But the infrequency of those good runs should be considered against the troughs too.

They believe it’s underperformance.  They believe it’s medical.  For me it was our fitness that was one of the few positives today.

• Like 4

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

You are the ‘Matt Smith is awful’ guy - so if anyone is going to be the authority on criticising posters for making a potentially OTT hasty judgement then it’s fitting it should be you. 

Take a look in the classics thread.

I came to that conclusion after 4 matches of him being awful ( NOT ONE). I was subsequently proved wrong and have always been happy to admit and self deprecating.

Funny you don't mention stuff like Bobby Reid  who I got spot on when he was dust binned by most on here. Or Wes Burns.

Or maybe - Mark Ashton who may be personally painful to you.

26 minutes ago, Harry said:

As a high percentage will , I agree with you , but I thought the other point you’ve made is actually more the important one

The fact that it’s been made absolutely clear that basically they headhunted Liam Manning because he ticked every box , and some in respect of our Club plan with regards to principles of play , profile of player , recruitment / budget strategy , and projected plan

A precise , targeted coach , to fit our jigsaw and , by their , theory claim , one that merely needed to continue the job , adding qualities , they have decided , will move us forward along the same plan

No rewriting a plan , clearing the squad or mass recruitment required , just tweaks and increase in ultimate product 

More importantly for me than final league position, ( It’s IMHO totally unfair to expect any coach , LM or anyone to get us top six this season, I didn’t expect NP too * and I don’t expect that of Manning)

* Not expected but ‘possible’ if a few had 9/10 seasons , with someone like TC hitting the net from every angle etc 

I think we will see in coming months whether there is , or at least signs of , those coaching qualities with this (Incl any January changes) 

We should as a minimum ,be expecting stability , no large spree of offloading , and spending , and looking for a gradual improvement in terms of performances and outcomes (I think it’s unfair on any coach to expect a extreme rise in performance and results quickly - it does happen but still rare quickly)

IMHO Pearson , with sensible backing would have continued to build and improve us , maybe not as quickly as some would crave , but moving forward all the same

So that’s my judgement line for Manning , and in particular The owners and Brian Tinnion

This is somebody we’ve headhunted to take us to ‘the next level’, to do better than that or ‘better than NP’

When you look at Father and Son owner , Gavin Marshall , Brian Tinnion ......., it doesn’t take too long to reasonably conclude who the person was to suggest and fuel the idea and plan for the pursuit of that said coach  

There’s no hiding here 

Lets see

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 6
  • Flames 3

8 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Take a look in the classics thread.

I came to that conclusion after 4 matches of him being awful ( NOT ONE). I was subsequently proved wrong and have always been happy to admit and self deprecating.

Funny you don't mention stuff like Bobby Reid  who I got spot on when he was dust binned by most on here. Or Wes Burns.

Or maybe - Mark Ashton who may be personally painful to you.

?

10 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

The fact that it’s been made absolutely clear that basically they headhunted Liam Manning because he ticked every box , and some in respect of our Club plan with regards to principles of play , profile of player , recruitment / budget strategy , and projected plan

A precise , targeted coach , to fit our jigsaw and , by their , theory claim , one that merely needed to continue the job , adding qualities , they have decided , will move us forward along the same plan

No rewriting a plan , clearing the squad or mass recruitment required , just tweaks and increase in ultimate product 

This is it in a nutshell.  It’s what I’ve been saying all week.  Tins repeated this pre-match on BBCRB (not sure when it was recorded or whether live).

If they do throw money at it in January, it’s almost like admitting they got it wrong.

Please don’t let it be deja vu.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spreadsheet Boy said:

This is it in a nutshell.  It’s what I’ve been saying all week.  Tins repeated this pre-match on BBCRB (not sure when it was recorded or whether live).

If they do throw money at it in January, it’s almost like admitting they got it wrong.

Please don’t let it be deja vu.

Ta Dave , will try and catch it on catch

I hope fans don’t turn on LM if we don’t look like making top 6 - we all know that’s unfair , and , because of the anger , may be the case

League position in less you are 1-6 or , god forbid , bottom three doesn’t do much for me 16th , 10th , 8th , whatever , some will say it shows if we are getting better , and of course it’s a potential measure but I’ll remain consistent as I am with all coaches / managers is are their clear signs that they are building / improving , at whatever pace

Even the NP critics cannot have any argument , that what he has left , and what we have here is a , mid tablish squad with potential , if firing , and reasonable injury situation , to push top half and even on a roll , threaten top 6

In theory a better actual coach should be able to take us upwards

As I said in the week , he will also need to retain at least, the team and squad ethic , spirit , discipline , work ethic,  etc that has been created,

If not January I can see the nest egg appearing in the summer , which will not only prevent any comparative judgement,  it will merely and severely increase the heat on Liam Manning , Tinnion , and particularly the Lansdowns 

If they do , it had better go really well , or the recent weeks I’d say , will seem a mere ripple

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Ta Dave , will try and catch it on catch

I hope fans don’t turn on LM if we don’t look like making top 6 - we all know that’s unfair , and , because of the anger , may be the case

League position in less you are 1-6 or , god forbid , bottom three doesn’t do much for me 16th , 10th , 8th , whatever , some will say it shows if we are getting better , and of course it’s a potential measure but I’ll remain consistent as I am with all coaches / managers is are their clear signs that they are building / improving , at whatever pace

Even the NP critics cannot have any argument , that what he has left , and what we have here is a , mid tablish squad with potential , if firing , and reasonable injury situation , to push top half and even on a roll , threaten top 6

In theory a better actual coach should be able to take us upwards

As I said in the week , he will also need to retain at least, the team and squad ethic , spirit , discipline , work ethic,  etc that has been created,

If not January I can see the nest egg appearing in the summer , which will not only prevent any comparative judgement,  it will merely and severely increase the heat on Liam Manning , Tinnion , and particularly the Lansdowns 

If they do , it had better go really well , or the recent weeks I’d say , will seem a mere ripple

Recent weeks have been a mere ripple tbf, both Wednesday and today very little to suggest otherwise, just handful of fans on a forum.

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

I just wish the idiot club just hadn't made that top 6 comment, they've made a rod for their own back there and put unnecessary pressure on Manning and given easy ammo to his detractors.

Generally I see managers as earning their keep if they're getting the squad performing at or preferably above their expected level - so our side (hah!), a top 6 side finishing in the top 6 is just par, it's not even impressive... it's expected. That's clearly pretty ridiculous as we all know, but that's what they've laid out. I feel for the bloke.

Wasn't going to take much away from this game but he's clearly got his work cut out - but it'll be evolution rather than revolution and compromises will have to be made on the playing style he wants I suspect.

The performance was poor but it's still an away point and could have been much worse. In the circumstance it was a bit of a banana skin game if anything... nobody would have been impressed if we won, disaster if we lost.

A couple of weeks now to get some of his processes and behaviours in place. Fingers crossed!

if they had just come out and said NP did a good job in stabilising the club during a difficult time and although there have been improvements we just want to go in a different direction then i'd have understood.

To come out and say they believe the squad is good enough to get promoted is unbelievable, we all know this side isn't as good as that. I can imagine they said that to NP and he told them we have no ******* chance especially after selling Scott.

I think the hierarchy did not like the fact NP was a realist compared to their utter delusions.

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

if they had just come out and said NP did a good job in stabilising the club during a difficult time and although there have been improvements we just want to go in a different direction then i'd have understood.

To come out and say they believe the squad is good enough to get promoted is unbelievable, we all know this side isn't as good as that. I can imagine they said that to NP and he told them we have no ******* chance especially after selling Scott.

I think the hierarchy did not like the fact NP was a realist compared to their utter delusions.

First paragraph - yep 👍🏽

1 minute ago, Cristored said:

Recent weeks have been a mere ripple tbf, both Wednesday and today very little to suggest otherwise, just handful of fans on a forum.

Yes looking at Jon in his media stuff , Tinnions body language and persona ...... it’s been a mere ripple   NOT

I am in no doubt that they will have an idea of the overwhelming view , and certainly some of the stuff they undoubtedly see or get on other platforms.

Hopefully we won’t have to test it , but fast forward 18 months , we’ve spent , results aren’t good , we are staring at L1 or at least sliding towards there ....... I’d say there may be somewhat of a bigger ripple....maybe a really big one

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

Yes looking at Jon in his media stuff , Tinnions body language and persona ...... it’s been a mere ripple   NOT

I am in no doubt that they will have an idea of the overwhelming view , and certainly some of the stuff they undoubtedly see or get on other platforms.

Hopefully we won’t have to test it , but fast forward 18 months , we’ve spent , results aren’t good , we are staring at L1 or at least sliding towards there ....... I’d say there may be somewhat of a bigger ripple....maybe a really big one

Purse strings will have been released long before then.