IGNORED

Stewards at qpr Saturday.

red ponty

10 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

Never, ever had my wallet checked going into a nightclub let alone the football, where does it happen to you?

edit to add: I’m not calling you a liar! Just curious that I might be living in a bubble 😁

In the last few years I’ve had the same at Brentford, Fulham, Coventry, Birmingham off the top of my head, I’m sure there’s been more.

For context I’m a 28 yr old male.

Edited by Marcus Aurelius

44 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

In the last few years I’ve had the same at Brentford, Fulham, Coventry, Birmingham off the top of my head, I’m sure there’s been more.

Cheers, I must admit I don’t go away as much as I’d like, and I’ve never been to any “edgy” away fixtures like Cardiff, Millwall, etc where the stewards might be extra vigilant and over step the mark

I have however been aggressively confronted by police outside AG and accused of “looking for trouble”, while sat on the wall outside KFC, eating KFC, wearing a City shirt and scarf, with my (at the time) 12 year old brother 😂 must have that look about me 

2 hours ago, RedM said:

I've always found the QPR stewards quite chilled, but realise this is just my experience. My bag was searched by a female steward, I remember this as she was chatty and friendly, saying she liked my coat. I was not given a pat down and she only glanced at my bag, certainly didn't go though it.

Searches do vary very much from ground to ground, Cardiff,Swansea, Leeds and Leicester have been quite through, eg full body pat down and contents taken out of my bag, but I have never had my purse opened and it's certainly bigger than a man's wallet.

Just about all grounds they search bags, I just have a small bag,  probably only 20% or less I've been patted down or asked what was in my pockets.

Before anyone says it, I do realise being female most probably gives me a very different experience. I'm certainly not a youngster either. I find most stewards are ok, and some of them even friendly if you are pleasant enough and interact with them. 

My (male) experience too.

And West London stewards are generally as chilled as any. Brentford used to be great.

And I’ve never ever had my wallet gone through all the years I’ve been watching football. 

• Like 1

I'm assuming the wallet checking is due to the increased amount of coke use at football matches. I'm not keen on being over-intrusively searched but I'm also not keen on coked-up arseholes creating a shittier atmosphere for everyone.

What feels frustrating as much as anything is the inconsistency. My search was pretty light touch - I had no bag and I barely even got a pat down - so it seems a bit wrong if they're intensely searching some but not others. 

I was in lower tier Z2 and I saw it had kicked off a bit between stewards and fans at the beginning of the second half but saw what was happening quite late on so didn't know how it had started. If it was this, it seems a bit odd they were conducting searches in the ground in the middle of the match. I can get why someone would be annoyed at that. I've no problem being searched - and I've no problem with someone searching my wallet (the moths that get disturbed by it might feel otherwise!) - as long as it's when they're doing the searches at the start of the match and it's being applied consistently. But if not, I'd want to know why my wallet was being searched then and why me in particular. 

As ever city fans thanks for all the helpfull advice and comments, Just wanted to confirm with the poster by the name of Marcus. You said it happens all the time, so can you tell me that this is a regular occurrence Ashton gate? I've never seen that. I will try and keep you updated when I get replies from the authorities. 

2 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Interestingly I've never had my wallet even looked at, let alone searched.

This includes away games at Leeds, Millwall, Birmingham, Cardiff, Swansea, Stoke, Leicester, QPR, Brentford. 

54 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm assuming the wallet checking is due to the increased amount of coke use at football matches. I'm not keen on being over-intrusively searched but I'm also not keen on coked-up arseholes creating a shittier atmosphere for everyone.

What feels frustrating as much as anything is the inconsistency. My search was pretty light touch - I had no bag and I barely even got a pat down - so it seems a bit wrong if they're intensely searching some but not others. 

I was in lower tier Z2 and I saw it had kicked off a bit between stewards and fans at the beginning of the second half but saw what was happening quite late on so didn't know how it had started. If it was this, it seems a bit odd they were conducting searches in the ground in the middle of the match. I can get why someone would be annoyed at that. I've no problem being searched - and I've no problem with someone searching my wallet (the moths that get disturbed by it might feel otherwise!) - as long as it's when they're doing the searches at the start of the match and it's being applied consistently. But if not, I'd want to know why my wallet was being searched then and why me in particular. 

Coke up arseholes? Blimey, if that’s what’s happening then wallet searches are going to become the least of our problems. 😵‍💫😀

3 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Interestingly I've never had my wallet even looked at, let alone searched.

This includes away games at Leeds, Millwall, Birmingham, Cardiff, Swansea, Stoke, Leicester, QPR, Brentford. 

I've never heard anyone else mention the wallet searches either, until I read this thread.

I guess it must be a drug thing, but then again unlike some other grounds I didn't see a single drug or pyro dog. It could be that obviously with what was going on in London on Saturday the dogs were deployed elsewhere? I guess they just randomly pick people to search and the OP just got unluckly. Wonder if they actually ever find anything or is it more to prevent? 

Like someone has mentioned, the coked up idiots spoil it for everyone, and they really aren't that hard to spot.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

How it started was they were asking for tickets to get back into the areas with Z2/Z3 being the main areas of problem where some (even a young boy) did not have them at hand as either family/partner/friend so were not letting them back in which obviously got peoples backs up and rightly so with how some of the stewards were being. Dont get me wrong obviously always a few trying to get into different areas but bottlenecking was not helping.

The wallet check was weird as the steward didn't bother with me wasn't even bothered to check my pockets. but my dad with the steward next to me searched him pretty intensively including his wallet

Edited by CityFarAndWide

• Admin
32 minutes ago, CityFarAndWide said:

How it started was they were asking for tickets to get back into the areas with Z2/Z3 being the main areas of problem where some (even a young boy) did not have them at hand as either family/partner/friend so were not letting them back in which obviously got peoples backs up and rightly so with how some of the stewards were being. Dont get me wrong obviously always a few trying to get into different areas but bottlenecking was not helping.

The wallet check was weird as the steward didn't bother with me wasn't even bothered to check my pockets. but my dad with the steward next to me searched him pretty intensively including his wallet

Very feasible they just have to check say every 50th person that goes past?

32 minutes ago, CityFarAndWide said:

Ah- that makes sense. They should have made it way more explicit if you needed your ticket to get back in. But again, it's totally inconsistent. I went out and came back in at the start of half time and wasn't asked for my ticket. 

7 hours ago, phantom said:

Sadly this is one of those times in life that are very frustrating and annoying but as below the stewards are well within their rights to do the check. 

I'd say it says more about the stewards at Loftus Road more than anything. 

I'd be personally surprised if you would be told anything different should you get any responses 

It'll no doubt leave a very bitter taste in your mouth, but my advice would be to move on 

As annoying as it was I hate to say that there's nothing they did wrong 

Hate to say it's nothing Jerry or Dave have any jurisdiction on, they can only assist at Ashton Gate. 

Amanda Jacks was the "FSA Faircop", and is no longer in that role and am not aware that anyone replaced her

I was caught up with this same incident and ironically exactly one of the reasons why I will never visit that dump again 

The other was how we were kettled in bars in Shepherd's Bush, marched to the ground, deliberately making us late and then witnessed numerous assaults on City Supporters by the MET, all of which went unpunished.... 

Sadly QPR stewards and MET police always seem on edge compared to other grounds in London (though Fulham stewards are not far behind) 

Thanks for clarifying these points phantom, possibly I jumped ahead of it on contacting etc. Stewards and police do have extensive powers of course but it does seem unusual and draconian.

17 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I have never even heard of checking wallets before, not in all the years I've been going.
I didn't think the Police had the right to search you without due cause let alone a steward. 
A pat down is one thing, almost expect it, but to go through someones wallet ? 

Imagine if they gave you a put-down instead.

i was denied entry on saturday - no queue so i decided to bypass the barrier to get to the turnstile a little faster as it was nearing kick off. whilst i will admit that this was not a great decision, i was apprehended by a steward and had my ticket confiscated - this was then backed up by two met police officers who were explaining that they have to abide by the steward’s decision, whilst that steward is stood behind them, with his balaclava on, looking at me and laughing with the other stewards. i was willing to accept my mistake and would’ve been fully compliant with a search or whatever they wanted to do. i never acted aggressively towards any of the stewards or the police. it just felt like the steward(s) were out to ruin my day.

• Sad 1

Literally have no idea why anyone would want to steward a football match. It won't be for the money, the thanks given for trying to ensure people's safety or for the cool uniform. Maybe some people just like the thought of being outnumbered and getting free dental realignment.

In reply to wsm seagulls reply," if you have not got anything to hide whats the problem"     Are you aware of the scamming issue in the world at the mo ? Whats to stop steward filming my credit debit card details, them using card details.

I could be thousands down before end of match....

And also club statement you put up states search you, no mention of your property. ?

Edited by red ponty
more facts
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, red ponty said:

In reply to wsm seagulls reply," if you have not got anything to hide whats the problem"     Are you aware of the scamming issue in the world at the mo ? Whats to stop steward filming my credit debit card details, them using card details.

And also club statement you put up states search you, no mention of your property. ?

Personally thinks it’s totally over the top , yet another stick to beat football, fans with , wonder if there search wallets at egg chaser games / cricket / basketball 

• Like 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, red ponty said:

Do you honestly think a football steward is going to film your cards?

It would be some achievement as they would have to actually remove the card from the wallet