IGNORED

Dissapointed

redkev

I think Tanner is a steady player. First and foremost he's a defender and has been excellent value for money. He's not a bomb down the wing type of player.

Pring had a tougher opponent today and they pressed us high up so it was difficult for him to get on the ball. You have to credit the opposition for that as I'm sure they identified him as an outlet.

With Sam Bell, he likes to run onto the ball. He's less effective with his back to goal and being pressed. If this is the way we like to play now I can see that Memehti will benefit whereas it will be detrimental to Bell.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

You’d put money on him playing in League Two in 5 years time??!!!! I’ll take your money on that not being the case please. What odds are on offer?

Bell would not have been called up to the England U20 squad unless they thought he had the potential to eventually go on and play for the England 1st team in my opinion. 

If he reaches that potential, who knows. But he's obviously in consideration. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed.

It has been forgotten that we were not playing with a natural RB for some weeks. Tanner is somewhat cautious often but quite good especially at the price and experience level. Can give Sykes license.

Point is, although not the most exciting player that balance is important for a side.

Bang on the money and put a lot better than I could 

40 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Bell would not have been called up to the England U20 squad unless they thought he had the potential to eventually go on and play for the England 1st team in my opinion. 

If he reaches that potential, who knows. But he's obviously in consideration. 

Ummm we currently have the most out of form player in the country playing for Englands first team in Rashford so that might derail the post a little , the hierarchy judgement isn’t always best , I understand where you are coming from though , 

49 minutes ago, Swede said:

I think Tanner is a steady player. First and foremost he's a defender and has been excellent value for money. He's not a bomb down the wing type of player.

Pring had a tougher opponent today and they pressed us high up so it was difficult for him to get on the ball. You have to credit the opposition for that as I'm sure they identified him as an outlet.

With Sam Bell, he likes to run onto the ball. He's less effective with his back to goal and being pressed. If this is the way we like to play now I can see that Memehti will benefit whereas it will be detrimental to Bell.

Thanks for adding this.

Everyone knows Cam Pring is a big threat this season, unlike last season where I think he surprised opponents.  And as you say up against Isaiah Jones then later in the game Silvesta and Jones, it was always gonna be a game where his defensive skills were gonna be the ones to come to the fore.  I thought he was pretty darn good in this regard.  Especially as Smyth gave him a torrid time last time out.

Overall he’s not hit the heights of last season, but I do think some of that is who is playing in front of him.  But he’s still playing at a good level.

• Robin 2

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed.

It has been forgotten that we were not playing with a natural RB for some weeks. Tanner is somewhat cautious often but quite good especially at the price and experience level. Can give Sykes license.

Point is, although not the most exciting player that balance is important for a side.

Tanner’s long term future is at centre back.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 2

9 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Bells the one for me of the three you mention, and I do think there is some (natural) bias in wanting him to do well because of Mickey. I don’t put major stock in him being England U20 - plenty drop off from there not to make it at this level.

When I watch Sam, and this may be instructions, he seems very naive positionally (and this may come with experience). Cams relative struggles this season have I think in part been due to lack of support from his wide man, often Sam. I’m not sure as yet what he is - I don’t think he’s a wide forward, but also he isn’t as yet strong enough to be in the centre. 

Theres something there but it’s raw, and I hold no major confidence it’ll develop into a career at a sustained basis at this level or above. If I had to put money on it, I’m still (just) on the side that he’ll be playing L1/L2 in 5 years but he has enough not to do so 

Reminds me a little of early Jamie Mackie when he broke through down here at Exeter; quite raw but sharp. But difference is he’s starting 1/2 levels higher and is already a better finisher. Given JM got much better the longer he played I’d be surprised if Bell goes any lower than where he is now.

22 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

To play devil’s advocate did Tanner handle the press well when he was caught in possession for the equaliser?

To be honest I didn't realise it was him until I saw the highlights after I posted that. However I thought that wasn't really a press situation, just a case of coming off second best in a challenge, for a change.

Edited by Port Said Red

42 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

To be honest I didn't realise it was him until I saw the highlights after I posted that. However I thought that wasn't really a press situation, just a case of coming off second best in a challenge, for a change.

True, he’s very decent on the defending bit of being a defender, if that makes sense!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, INCRED said:

Totally unreasonable to critique at this stage of the season , take a look back at the end of the season and post again. 

I dare say views will be very different on some if not all 

Off course it isn’t. He isn’t saying bomb them out they are ******* useless. Just posting his thoughts. Isn’t it what this place is for? 

Pring set a high bar, not quite at it going forward at the moment. Still good enough. I think the jury is still out on the other two but are doing ok.

Boring place if we just said everyone is doing great eh. 

• Like 1

I think we need to think about it as a new season from mid December and then revisit the thinking here.  It's just a hard one we've had a horrible set of injuries, a change of manager, and now we're into a run of transitional games under the new manager.  

I think it's very unfair to judge any players to harshly given the season we've had.

11 hours ago, eardun said:

A few weeks ago I did think Tanner had lost a bit of confidence but today I thought he looked more confident and sharper on the ball than he has for a while so long may that continue. 

Except for his perpetual backwards passing. As soon as he gets the ball he turns and knocks it back. Orders perhaps or lack of confidence. I'd like to see a breakdown of his passing direction yesterday.

Pring has just been a bit hit and miss, wouldn’t say he’s been bad but he hasn’t been great either. Doesn’t really do much to lose his place but it’s surprising Robert’s hasn’t been given a run of games yet. As for Bell… don’t rate him at all. The top goal scorer comment is all well and good but every goal he’s scored this season you’d expect any forward player to put away regardless of being a youngster or not. He just doesn’t offer much for me during 90 minutes. Doesn’t beat his man ever, never takes people on, his pace is his biggest asset so I’ll give him credit when the right ball is played to him he usually either gets a decent ball across the goal or can carry it to get us forward, that’s just not enough though. However before every game when I’m choosing our team, can’t help but put Bell in there, he has zero competition as Mehmeti, albeit a somewhat good sub performance yesterday, has been extremely poor. 

I love that our academy produces talent but if I’m being brutally honest, O’Leary, Conway, Bell and Pring have all arguably been the worst performers this season. Pring I have confidence in, as I do with Conway but for me O’Leary and Bell need replacing in the team in January. Conway also needs better competition, Wells should do for this season but in the summer a striker needs to be top priority. 

• Like 1

If we had a bigger squad i think players like Tanner and Bell would be out on loan. I agree with op about Bell i dont think he is strong enough yet he's too powder puff and gets knocked off the ball to easily i would add Weimann to that list of players he's been very poor so far this season I disagree about Pring i think hes having a solid season  

• Facepalm 1