IGNORED

Grumblers need to get a grip - article

W-S-M Seagull

13 hours ago, Crackers Corner said:

The point he made about not getting the ball forward. I agree to a point that you need openings and fair enough manning doesn't want us to needlessly give the ball away, however in the first half we were completely lacking any movement. Other teams come to AG and find space all over the pitch whereas our players seem almost static. For me that's what needs sorting out. This resulted in up playing along the back and no threat to Boro what so ever until TGH scored his worldie. We seemed better after this with cornick and Anis providing what we missed in the first half.

Yes agree was,talking to a mate from Manchester a city fan he said a lot of teams trying to play the ball out from the back like Man city trouble is you got to be good enough at it not like our back line playing too slow and dwelling on the ball which puts us under pressure.

It's easy on here to think most fans are anti-Lansdown, but it's actually only about 20 or 30 people who keep repeat-posting their opinions. There's no reason why they shouldn't but looking at the fans forum, and talking to people at the stadium on matchdays this isn't representative of the fan base in general.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

It's easy on here to think most fans are anti-Lansdown, but it's actually only about 20 or 30 people who keep repeat-posting their opinions. There's no reason why they shouldn't but looking at the fans forum, and talking to people at the stadium on matchdays this isn't representative of the fan base in general.

I guess that’s because there is a huge swell of fans who just go to watch their team who don’t really give a toss about anything else.  Doesn’t make them pro-Lansdown either.  It’s your typical bell curve, apathetic in the bulge.

What you get on here and Twitter is those who are interested in the “anything else” as well as the footie itself.

I’m not a great lover of the Lansdown’s from a BCFC point of view.  You might’ve guessed!!!  Not everything though, certain aspects.  I don’t need to “be careful what I wish for” which is the regular retort, they’ve told me they will only sell to the right investor.

I wish I could’ve gone last night, there were things I would’ve liked to have quizzed GM and JL on, but personal circumstances means I can’t do stuff like that.  I wouldn’t have been rude, given them both barrels, etc…I’d have respectfully asked my Qs, but would’ve been armed to challenge the answers if they were “fob offs”.  I think last night several just accepted the answer.

• Like 2

As much as it occasionally gets on my tits FBC is the only podcast I listen to and then not religiously.

3peeps always sounded a bit smart arse for me. I had no idea that the bloke that goes on post match and writes in the post were all connected to 3peeps. 

Good luck to anyone trying to build a media career!

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

As much as it occasionally gets on my tits FBC is the only podcast I listen to and then not religiously.

3peeps always sounded a bit smart arse for me. I had no idea that the bloke that goes on post match and writes in the post were all connected to 3peeps. 

Good luck to anyone trying to build a media career!

Thanks for the back handed appreciation of FBC! Always has and always will be wholly independent.

You can't run with the hare and hunt with the hounds which reading some of the comments on here 3Peeps are being accused of.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Thanks for the back handed appreciation of FBC! Always has and always will be wholly independent.

You can't run with the hare and hunt with the hounds which reading some of the comments on here 3Peeps are being accused of.

Whilst they have the table set up in the Hen & Chicken Dave,

You could do the next broadcast live from there after the next home game 😁🤣

;) 

25 minutes ago, headhunter said:

To your second comment that is pretty much how many are seeing it now. 

Yes I like the independence of FBC! 

I like the mix of analysis and a little bit of controversy provided. (As long as it’s not nutty, if you know what I mean)

I don’t have to agree with what is said and often don’t, however I like the fact that like me there are those who remember home and away games circa late 60s and early 70s and are City to the core! 

I can also empathize with a life time of disappointment! 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, headhunter said:

I nearly did the same earlier, but pulled back just in time :laugh:.

Always been a bit suspicious of three peaps since one of them 'won' the free season ticket a few seasons ago.

If you listen carefully to the post Cardiff podcast Matt W definitely knew something was 'going down.' He didn't seem altogether shocked at the news later in the day on their second podcast. 

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

We're you the fan that said at the forum last night that said what a wonderful job the lansdowns have done and how thankful you are that they've built Ashton Gate where you can have a day out? 

If so, I remember my first beer too. 

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We're you the fan that said at the forum last night that said what a wonderful job the lansdowns have done and how thankful you are that they've built Ashton Gate where you can have a day out? 

If so, I remember my first beer too. 

Many will probably won’t agree with me

but , for me , he actually summed up why I’ve lost the burning love for match day football -

He said ‘

It used to be just about the football , now it’s a whole day out , with football not the only thing’   

(Or words to that effect)

Yep , you’ve nailed it mate , I appreciate I’m probably now in the minority but going to AG was always solely about watching and roaring my team on for 90 mins 

I appreciate lots of things have moved on , facilities ,need for all  commercial income etc but It was a very ‘Bristol City’ thing to say I’m afraid 

Edited by Sheltons Army

30 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

If you listen carefully to the post Cardiff podcast Matt W definitely knew something was 'going down.' He didn't seem altogether shocked at the news later in the day on their second podcast. 

I think many people knew, it was lose and out.  They’d already asked him to go after Leeds.

15 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

but , for me , he actually summed up why I’ve lost the burning love for match day football -

He said ‘

It used to be just about the football , now it’s a whole day out , with football not the only thing’   

Yep , you’ve nailed it mate , I appreciate I’m probably now in the minority but going to AG was always solely about watching and roaring my team on for 90 mins 

I appreciate lots of things have moved on , facilities ,need for all  commercial income etc but It was a very ‘Bristol City’ thing to say I’m afraid 

That fan certainly doesn’t represent my views. For me it’s about the football end of. I eat good food at home or go to a restaurant, drink beer or cider that I like down the local boozer where I want to be with wife, son or mates, go to gigs when I want to stand around and listen to music and if the Bears lose 69-0 on the same day and the Flyers have two players sent off/sin binned, whatever it is, so ******* what, literally don’t give a ****.

“City fans should be happy the bears won” was one of the comments our esteemed owner has made in the last year or two. Sorry Stevie, I wasn’t bothered then and ain’t bothered now. Anyone remember the free ticket offers to watch each other’s games that went down like a sack of shit?

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

16 hours ago, Countryfile said:

Seriously how could anyone say they enjoyed those first 30 mins.

I would hope we are all City through and through.

I fear he’s taken the Kings shilling, and it shows.

I enjoyed it, i'd much rather our keeper try to play it out than kick the ball 80 yards down the pitch to our 5"10" striker who's being marked by a 6"4" centre half or more often than not just kick it straight out of play

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

I enjoyed it, i'd much rather our keeper try to play it out than kick the ball 80 yards down the pitch to our 5"10" striker who's being marked by a 6"4" centre half or more often than not just kick it straight out of play

This isn’t a dig at you personally but as your post covers the topic I’ll make my point which is that its strange how, in some instances, the very same people moaning about us passing it round the back four against Wednesday when Curtis took charge for a game are now jizzing about it……..

My personal view is if that is the way Manning wants to play then make sure that’s the way we do play and make sure we get better at it, don’t go ripping it up in six weeks like a certain previous bluffer, I meant  manager, used to do whenever he hit the buffers.

Some of us we’re happy to sit through some uninspired football at times from Nige because he and we saw the bigger picture and gradual improvement and stuck to it. Happy to do the same with Manning but if he veers off track every three months and tries something else that will piss a lot off. We’ve all been there and had a guts full of that. Tbf to Manning though he doesn’t seem that type based on his interviews to date.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

41 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

He said ‘

I sort of know where that bloke was coming from with that statement (not the gushing way he put it though).

Back in the day, before the developments, before the fans zone, before the concourses, before the sports bar etc etc, there was only the football. There was more of less nothing else at the ground (other than the bar under the Dolman with crap beer or members bars). So it was the pub and the chippy or burger van.

These days you are spoilt for choice at the ground - if thats your thing.

Personally, I like the choice - pub or ground and mix it up, but I do like that choice.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

That fan certainly doesn’t represent my views. For me it’s about the football end of. I eat good food at home or go to a restaurant, drink beer or cider that I like down the local boozer where I want to be with wife, son or mates, go to gigs when I want to stand around and listen to music and if the Bears lose 69-0 on the same day and the Flyers have two players sent off/sin binned, whatever it is, so ******* what, literally don’t give a ****.

“City fans should be happy the bears won” was one of the comments our esteemed owner has made in the last year or two. Sorry Stevie, I wasn’t bothered then and ain’t bothered now. Anyone remember the free ticket offers to watch each other’s games that went down like a sack of shit?

I can see where you're coming from, I've been going for over 50 years now and it used to be a couple of pints in The Robins and watch the match, but having watched the team play in the 80s at the bottom of Div 4 in front of 4k crowds in a stadium falling apart I really appreciate the matchday experience now. The new facilities have opened up the game to thousands of new fans, my wife loves going to the match but would never have put up with the old stadium, gates have increased to about the level they were in Div 1 in the 70s, in the old Div 2 we used to get 12000 if we were lucky. 

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

This isn’t a dig at you personally but as your post covers the topic I’ll make my point which is that its strange how, in some instances, the very same people moaning about us passing it round the back four against Wednesday when Curtis took charge for a game are now jizzing about it……..

My personal view is if that is the way Manning wants to play then make sure that’s the way we do play and make sure we get better at it, don’t go ripping it up in six weeks like a certain previous bluffer, I meant  manager, used to do whenever he hit the buffers.

Some of us we’re happy to sit through some uninspired football at times from Nige because he and we saw the bigger picture and gradual improvement and stuck to it. Happy to do the same with Manning but if he veers off track every three months and tries something else that will piss a lot off. We’ve all been there and had a guts full of that. Tbf to Manning though he doesn’t seem that type based on his interviews to date.

What was uninspired and totally pointless was our keeper constantly launching it down the pitch and giving up possession, what was the point in that?

I agree that to an extent you have got to have players that can "play" if you are going to go with possession football otherwise it can be risky, i remember Jaap Stam when he was Reading manager trying to play that way at AG and they were totally hopeless at it  

1 minute ago, ashton_fan said:

I can see where you're coming from, I've been going for over 50 years now and it used to be a couple of pints in The Robins and watch the match, but having watched the team play in the 80s at the bottom of Div 4 in front of 4k crowds in a stadium falling apart I really appreciate the matchday experience now. The new facilities have opened up the game to thousands of new fans, my wife loves going to the match but would never have put up with the old stadium, gates have increased to about the level they were in Div 1 in the 70s, in the old Div 2 we used to get 12000 if we were lucky. 

That’s all good……as long as there remains a place for fans who are only interested in the football, not a whole day out in Ashton, and couldn’t care less about anything or anyone around the Bristol Sport aspect of it.

1 minute ago, TV Tom said:

What was uninspired and totally pointless was our keeper constantly launching it down the pitch and giving up possession, what was the point in that?

I agree that to an extent you have got to have players that can "play" if you are going to go with possession football otherwise it can be risky, i remember Jaap Stam when he was Reading manager trying to play that way at AG and they were totally hopeless at it  

No point in going over old ground but gradual improvement was occurring. Particularly from a solidity point of view which won’t do our new manager any harm as it happens. The important thing now is that Manning exerts his principles and sticks to them. If we need new players to see the BEST of his principles then as far as I’m concerned that’s what the upstairs circus has signed up to in appointing him and funds need to be made available.

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

That’s all good……as long as there remains a place for fans who are only interested in the football, not a whole day out in Ashton, and couldn’t care less about anything or anyone around the Bristol Sport aspect of it.

All that interests me is our performance/result but i do think it's great that we can attract so many different supporters due to the "AG experience"

21 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN

16 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

The big test (for us fans) is the reaction to conceding from playing out.  In some respects Boro’s opening goal was just that.

I think the result (a win) means it’s been largely ignored / forgotten though.

We heard some fans reaction to a backwards pass, let alone a goal!

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN

The big test (for us fans) is the reaction to conceding from playing out.  In some respects Boro’s opening goal was just that.

I think the result (a win) means it’s been largely ignored / forgotten though.

We heard some fans reaction to a backwards pass, let alone a goal!

Indeed and well said Fevs.

I said to a mate before the game if Manning doesn’t do well after a few games it could get toxic as the expectation is greater; I didn’t expect it to take 53 minutes on Saturday! 

If Manning keeps winning, drawing and/or playing well I am sure it will be fine. 

If the football is dull and we start conceding/losing games then it won’t take much for it to turn; the patience just won’t be there. 

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

He said ‘

It's funny, but for me it's the other way round.

When I was younger, I used to come to Ashton Gate with a group of friends, and we'd either be in the mix of the Eastend, or by the railings in the open end, and we'd have a laugh and a good time regardless of the football or the result really.

Nowadays, being older, whether or not I have a good time is pretty much totally dependant on the football.

8 minutes ago, One Team said:

I said to a mate before the game if Manning doesn’t do well after a few games it could get toxic as the expectation is greater; I didn’t expect it to take 53 minutes on Saturday! 

If Manning keeps winning, drawing and/or playing well I am sure it will be fine. 

If the football is dull and we start conceding/losing games then it won’t take much for it to turn; the patience just won’t be there. 

I should’ve added, I won’t be joining in with those fans.  Never boo’d, not gonna start at 53.

4 minutes ago, One Team said:

And that’s probably the potential problem with the style of play - on a bizarre basis a low risk strategy becomes a high risk strategy very quickly in terms of reaction. Sitting and waiting and passing in your own third (if the other team don’t have the ball they can’t score) is inherently low risk but also low reward - but if the reward eventually comes, people will (grudgingly) accept it. What it doesn’t do is give you “currency” for the occasions it doesn’t work.

The reaction I’m “looking forward to” (for want of a better term) is how we play when we go 1-0, 2-0 down. I have no real doubt Manning will instruct the players to play the same way (process over outcomes) and I can’t see that going down well in the crowd.

On a broader basis, the big question mark over Liam is that MK Dons spell when he couldn’t pull them out of a tailspin. Is process over outcomes enough when the outcomes are wrong?

Interesting times ahead.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, One Team said:

We're been quite used to that brand of football for many years now, hopefully Manning gets time to stamp his style

6 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

We're been quite used to that brand of football for many years now, hopefully Manning gets time to stamp his style

If we have to go backwards and sideways to go forwards in the end it comes down to the speed at which you are doing it. If we get better at it then fans will see the purpose of it. You can coach Champ footballers, even average ones like we have in many positions, to always have an outlet and keep the ball - the trick is to then do something with it. Your “outlets” need to be moving into dangerous areas and not taking up safe areas all the time. That’s the coaching bit!! Patience will be needed in the stands if we are going that way.

Theres no right way to play football, just the right way to play your chosen style whether it’s long ball or possession based and both can be as ugly as each other if executed poorly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TV Tom said:

You must have been looking away quite a bit on Saturday, then. Because our goalkeeper kicked quite a few long balls to our 5' something winger who was marked by a 6' 4" defender. Also kicked long to a single player marked by three of theirs.

Personally I was quite happy with Max kicking it out wide to Pring on the halfway line where we had a 50/50 chance of winning a throw, halfway up the pitch. Yes he overhit a few but I would much rather that than see us taking stupid risks at the back (see their first goal Saturday).

And we didn't always play it long, Max for the past couple of seasons has also played a large number of short balls to Vyner / Dickie / Naismith, each game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, One Team said:

I kinda figure manning has come into a better set up than most have had, in terms of good set of lads and a tonne of cash in the bank, and no imminent threat of relegation.. given we have a “top 6 squad”, which should have been queried last night, he ought to be doing ok as the new chosen one. We all know that we are a midtable side, with not a lot of star quality now scott and semenyo have gone, but theres a lot if teams in and around us who have similar quality.  I dont know if we are good enough to play a possession game,,, but seeing as weve been pretty shite for the last 100 hundred years i dont see any issues with supporters getting wound up with what they are seeing on the pitch, regardless of whether matt withers looks down on them for doing it.

2 hours ago, TV Tom said:

I don’t want to see that either, and that isn’t the only alternative either.

I believe Liam has been quoted as saying there were times when we could have gone forward more but chose not too.

Which parts exactly did you enjoy? and why?