IGNORED

Grumblers need to get a grip - article

W-S-M Seagull

18 hours ago, Countryfile said:

Seriously how could anyone say they enjoyed those first 30 mins.

I would hope we are all City through and through.

I fear he’s taken the Kings shilling, and it shows.

19 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-grumblers-need-grip-8935839

Is there any need for this antagonising comment from Matt? I think he also said something quite antagonising in the aftermath of Pearsons departure. 

I used to really enjoy the 3peeps podcast. Matt is entitled to his opinion, just like we all are. But hearing him telling fans their opinions are essential wrong doesn't feel right to me. He sounds as if he is out of touch with the fanbase. He sounds as if he is a Bristol Sport employee or due to his connections to the club, he wants to keep them happy.

The reality we are in is that we have some fans like Matt that are very excited about Manning and at the opposite end of the spectrum we have people that are still really pissed off with the whole situation and the owners and its okay for people to feel whatever they want to feel. The atmosphere at Ashton Gate on Saturday suggests the fan base isn't exactly full of excitement like Matt is. 

Matt often speaks quite openly about mental health and is a big advocate of that and I massively applaud that. As a Bristol City fan, the last month has been quite stressful and full of emotions. So Matt, if you're reading this, please do consider that antagonising comments are probably not needed during a time when fans have gone through a range of emotions. I don't think it's right to dismiss others feelings in such an antagonising manner.

Screenshot_20231127_170838_Facebook.jpg

It's such a melting pot of reasons. 

In 2016 my wife (Spanish came to watch) what struck her about the city crowd... The way the crowd willed the team forward, encouraged them to have a go. It's what she remembers more than anything else, and that was one 90 minutes.

This is city, this is who we are..... They may say front foot, attacking football. What they don't realise is that is the minimum the fanbase will accept. For some clubs it's 100% commitment, that's not city. It's about having a go, a real go. Ball on the floor, ball to feet as much as possible, but an absolute intent.

Watching city for a very long time has been nothing short of dull, with sprinklings of YES and fun. It's why the atmosphere is at a low. It's difficult to build energy when what you see on the pitch doesn't match it.

It's confusing as in essence, it was a 5 goal game (is that boring?) But at 2-2 there was a clear split between score, and what was being watched. It was hardly a 2-2 all time classic football match

Keep, keep, keep, keep , keep the ball, force the opposition to change, bore them and fans to tears, patient, chess match san siro football......... That's ok be open about that, but don't sell front foot attacking football if that's not what the eyes are telling you.

And absolutely yeah, each time a player gets a pocket of space and turns back first... The crowd will be on them 100% of the time, as that's not why people spend time, Money and history to watch that lack of intent. 

Maybe the crowd will adjust, maybe management will adjust to the crowd. I'm just saying 90 mins of qpr, 40 mins at home - 2nd best goal of the weekend aside - it had been beyond dull.

And then you add, a reasonable amount of the fanbase feel like they are being lied to, and way too many smoke and mirror statements. It Just doesn't feel like fans, players, owners are all pulling one way.... because that's just not the case yet and will take time.

I do hope with time, he gets exactly what we wants out of the players. And they play a version if his football which inspires. But if he's expecting an Uber patient ashton gate home crowd i really don't see it 

we used always believe for a reason, those days against the world. Anything felt possible because it was city, your city, they were YOU that can be built again.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Having followed our glorious club home and away for 49 years, I can confirm that every goal I’ve ever seen us score has been as a result of us getting the ball forward ... if you get the ball forward you get closer to your opponents’ goal - and you are then naturally more likely to score - the opposite of what annoyed you is ‘getting it backwards’ - hardly a footballing tactic likely to produce goals ... 

No shit Sherlock.  You know exactly the point I was making.  It's the aimless hoof forward to no one in particular that gives possession away needlessly that it some fans need to realise isn't what Manning is about.  If we had a big lump up front and could play percentages then maybe that would be a tactic, but not with Conway up front.  

And as a point of order, you must have missed every assist from corners over the years.  All from passes played backwards.  Anyone can be a smart arse, but it gets tedious and ******* annoying so most people choose not to be.   

Edited by Red Skin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 28/11/2023 at 15:48, Red Skin said:

No shit Sherlock.  You know exactly the point I was making.  It's the aimless hoof forward to no one in particular that gives possession away needlessly that it some fans need to realise isn't what Manning is about.  If we had a big lump up front and could play percentages then maybe that would be a tactic, but not with Conway up front.  

And as a point of order, you must have missed every assist from corners over the years.  All from passes played backwards.  Anyone can be a smart arse, but it gets tedious and ******* annoying so most people choose not to be.   

Cheers for the reply - however, I really don’t understand your point that “every assist from a corner was a pass played backwards”, with all due respect, I really don’t get that - so if we won a corner and the corner taker whipped it in with a wicked inswinger and a City player headed it home - how is that a “pass played backwards”?! Cos you said “every assist from a corner...”

Under Lee Johnson I was totally fed up watching the keeper pass it to a full back who knocked it back to a centre back who passed it to the other centre back who then passed it out to the other full back who then passed it back to the keeper - and off we went again - just so LJ could boast in his un-decipherable language that we’d had ‘pleasing possession stats” - even when we’d been beaten - don’t forget, we once went from November to March without a win in a Lee Johnson season - yet he still wanged on about ‘box penetrations’ and possession stats - “Box Penetrations” ? I reckon I once viewed a dubious DVD with that title!! Back in the day ... 😳🍷

Even though you are totally against ‘getting the ball forward’ - I want our centre halves to play crisp early passes to our midfielders who are poised on the half turn - and they can then bang in early passes to lively strikers who are making runs in behind static defenders or they can play in wide players down the channels - quick, crisp and lively - that’s my formula for ‘getting the ball forward’

I’m sorry you don’t want our lads to ‘get the ball forward’ but I think we are more likely to score goals if we do...

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Cheers for the reply - however, I really don’t understand your point that “every assist from a corner was a pass played backwards”, with all due respect, I really don’t get that - so if we won a corner and the corner taker whipped it in with a wicked inswinger and a City player headed it home - how is that a “pass played backwards”?! Cos you said “every assist from a corner...”

If you assume that every corner is taken from the goal-line, rather than the touch-line part of the 1-yd quadrant, the ball has to go backwards, even if due to “curl” it’s final trajectory is towards goal.

• Thanks 1

If any one gets the chance? ...........  Please try to listen to the latest Ntt20 podcast, (Not the top 20) dated 04/12/23.  Hopefully some forum members will be aware of this excellent football Podcast? IMHO?  it's an unbiased small feature about our current position.......Re: management, and our ongoing ambitions.....from an independent viewpoint,  looking in?   Seems spot on to me?

Edited by maxjak
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, maxjak said:

If any one gets the chance? ...........  Please try to listen to the latest Ntt20 podcast, (Not the top 20) dated 04/12/23.  Hopefully some forum members will be aware of this excellent football Podcast? IMHO?  it's an unbiased small feature about our current position.......Re: management, and our ongoing ambitions.....from an independent viewpoint,  looking in?   Seems spot on to me?

Thanks for the tip.

Not interested in podcasts.

What do they say?

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Thanks for the tip.

Not interested in podcasts.

What do they say?

Well if you are not interested in podcasts..............then there is really no point, as it needs to be listened to in the context it is intended, my second hand information will not be worth it.   There are a lot of football podcasts out there, varying from pathetic to excellent...........if you dismiss them all, then you are really missing out ..........IMHO.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

Thanks for posting, agreed with most of it.

I think it overegged the level of the 2 performances a bit but that aside agree with a lot of it.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Under Lee Johnson I was totally fed up watching the keeper pass it to a full back who knocked it back to a centre back who passed it to the other centre back who then passed it out to the other full back who then passed it back to the keeper - and off we went again - just so LJ could boast in his un-decipherable language that we’d had ‘pleasing possession stats” - even when we’d been beaten - don’t forget, we once went from November to March without a win in a Lee Johnson season - yet he still wanged on about ‘box penetrations’ and possession stats - “Box Penetrations” ? I reckon I once viewed a dubious DVD with that title!! Back in the day ... 😳🍷

Even though you are totally against ‘getting the ball forward’ - I want our centre halves to play crisp early passes to our midfielders who are poised on the half turn - and they can then bang in early passes to lively strikers who are making runs in behind static defenders or they can play in wide players down the channels - quick, crisp and lively - that’s my formula for ‘getting the ball forward’

I’m sorry you don’t want our lads to ‘get the ball forward’ but I think we are more likely to score goals if we do...

The thing with me is the body shaping of the player receiving the ball after it has been knocked across the back a couple of times. It finally gets played to the halfway line or just beyond, and as the player receives the ball, his body is automatically in a negative position, where the only thing on his mind is to turn and go back again. Just watch Tanner or James or Sykes next game. Tanner especially has been brought up watching Luke Shaw videos I'm sure. 

This was why Alex Scott was such a breath of fresh air, get the ball and actually want to take it on. 

• Like 5

I do not do podcasts; never seen the appeal but seeing links on X etc to those 2 “Second Tier podcast” people I feel comfortable I do not need it in my life; just seems like ill-informed uber-fans thinking they are celebrities.

So cannot comment on that about Matt, but, on the article side I read one by him a few months ago that was really interesting so I thought ‘he talks sense’

Unfortunately that was one good article and others since have been arrogant, self-indulgent rubbish and rude about fellow fans who are not happy with the activities of the last few weeks.

In short, clearly a puppet of the club who is more concerned about upsetting potential future podcast guests than anything else. Will not be reading his articles again as he doesn’t speak for me.

Edited by Meh
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The thing with me is the body shaping of the player receiving the ball after it has been knocked across the back a couple of times. It finally gets played to the halfway line or just beyond, and as the player receives the ball, his body is automatically in a negative position, where the only thing on his mind is to turn and go back again. Just watch Tanner or James or Sykes next game. Tanner especially has been brought up watching Luke Shaw videos I'm sure. 

This was why Alex Scott was such a breath of fresh air, get the ball and actually want to take it on. 

Been banging this drum for ages.

The body shape when receiving/making a pass is key, its why some of our players take two or three touches instead of one or a pass goes astray, even over 5 yards. Its pretty basic stuff and one reason for LM to say the players are coachable - some of them really are technically poor for this level.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Been banging this drum for ages.

The body shape when receiving/making a pass is key, its why some of our players take two or three touches instead of one or a pass goes astray, even over 5 yards. Its pretty basic stuff and one reason for LM to say the players are coachable - some of them really are technically poor for this level.

It is hugely important, but so is having / seeing the next passing option in your head as the ball arrives.

People moan about Joe Williams, but he is one of the few players we have who has that.  He introduces tempo to our passing, the little first-time give and go’s that create space / opportunities / expose the opponent. Joe’s “problem” is executing it, possibly because of his one-footedness.  Very noticeable that Pring came alive in an attacking sense with Joe probing that inside left position.

Tanner needs his teammates to make clear runs, and early, so he can be a bit more instinctive or at least make it feel instinctive.

It’s no point GT receiving the ball in a tight spot on the halfway line near touch, with his marker stopping his route down the line, if Sykes is stood behind his marker.  If Sykes comes infield to give GT a passing option, GT’s marker is suddenly worried about GT laying off and running beyond him.

The best example I’ve seen of this “playing as a pair” was Jack Stacey (Norwich’s RB) and Ryan Christie when they were at Bournemouth.  The give and go’s between them tore us apart countless times 2 seasons back.

• Like 1

Fwiw the gist of the NTT20 Pod was:

*Bristol City fans still quite raw about sacking of NP, how it was done.

*Seeing results more than process as a result.

*Not much patience for Manning, even if aimed at the board moreso.

*Way for Manning to get everyone on board is to win games.

*Could easily be looking at 6 pts from the last 2- the missed chances at Southampton/Bazanu save 1st half, the own goal v Norwich both turning those games.

*Had we got those 6 pts in addition to the Middlesbrough win, fans would be right on board with Manning and over NP somewhat.

Last point I'd say perhaps draw at Southampton, win over Norwich.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The best example I’ve seen of this “playing as a pair” was Jack Stacey (Norwich’s RB) and Ryan Christie when they were at Bournemouth.  The give and go’s between them tore us apart countless times 2 seasons back.

Football has definately moved on from when I was a kid. Things have intensified and appears more sophisticated in terms of physicality/fitness requirements as well as tactically.

I’m a football lover but no football tactician or statistician, but what you’ve highlighted is to me the basics I was taught when first playing football, exemplified by all the best teams that I’ve seen over the years. The basic principles of passing, moving and covering your team mates. These are basics along with passing accuracy, tackling, marking, playing with your head up and ball control. The better you are at these the more confident and brave to play in any style or system. 

I really think that all the passing about at the back we saw in the last few games is because some of our players look scared to move out of their system and do something more instinctive, read the game, pass and move, create space, carry the ball to create space. All the basics. Whatever happened to overlapping fullbacks, decoy runs to give our wide men space, positive movement. Waiting for the right moments is fine, but we end up being far too ponderous, too many touches. Until we start being a bit braver and massively improve our movement we’ll just be a slave to whatever system we adopt and just look as predictable in our build up as we did on Sunday. Any system/formation should give us some structure to play within, but we we look far too rigid and when I looked at players like Pring, Sykes, Conway, Bell, the previous strengths they have brought to the team seemed inhibited and restrained. I’ll concede that our goal was a good example in build up of what we can achieve, but interestingly enough Sykes popped up on the right where he’s been most effective here.

We’ve got to have far more movement and players making space to give the player on the ball more options. And we’ve got to get better at executing those simple things, less unforced errors when in promising attacking positions.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ray savino said:

Football has definately moved on from when I was a kid. Things have intensified and appears more sophisticated in terms of physicality/fitness requirements as well as tactically.

I’m a football lover but no football tactician or statistician, but what you’ve highlighted is to me the basics I was taught when first playing football, exemplified by all the best teams that I’ve seen over the years. The basic principles of passing, moving and covering your team mates. These are basics along with passing accuracy, tackling, marking, playing with your head up and ball control. The better you are at these the more confident and brave to play in any style or system. 

I really think that all the passing about at the back we saw in the last few games is because some of our players look scared to move out of their system and do something more instinctive, read the game, pass and move, create space, carry the ball to create space. All the basics. Whatever happened to overlapping fullbacks, decoy runs to give our wide men space, positive movement. Waiting for the right moments is fine, but we end up being far too ponderous, too many touches. Until we start being a bit braver and massively improve our movement we’ll just be a slave to whatever system we adopt and just look as predictable in our build up as we did on Sunday. Any system/formation should give us some structure to play within, but we we look far too rigid and when I looked at players like Pring, Sykes, Conway, Bell, the previous strengths they have brought to the team seemed inhibited and restrained. I’ll concede that our goal was a good example in build up of what we can achieve, but interestingly enough Sykes popped up on the right where he’s been most effective here.

We’ve got to have far more movement and players making space to give the player on the ball more options. And we’ve got to get better at executing those simple things, less unforced errors when in promising attacking positions.

First half of your post, yep, football is STILL a simple game.

Second half of your post, yep, and I think a lot of that still comes back to the individuals on the pitch and can they adapt?

I don’t know (yet) how we will look in 8 weeks time, at the end of the window.  If it’s largely the same players with a constant number injured I doubt much will change.

If we’ve got a few back and maybe supplemented by a couple of new players in the window it could look quite different.

It’s interesting you note Sykes popped up on the right for our goal.  The assumption (correct assumption imho) was that he and Weimann had swapped.

But if you run the move through from a Norwich throw-in in their RB position.

Image.thumb.jpeg.6bada107bc97a8f945dd6b4f505e9038.jpeg

pic 1 - throw-in, Weimann and Sykes, swapping over.

pic 2 - Dickie initially got the ball, then played a bit of tennis with Pring, before looking to go right.

pic 3 - ball cycles all the way out to Sykes on the RW.

pic 4 - ball comes back again!  Yawns!!! 🤣

You can make out Weimann is pointing to Knight, not sure what he’s asking him to do, but at least there’s something going on.  Maybe he doesn’t point and run a lot, maybe there’s purpose?

Image.thumb.jpeg.21daee0e993b4246aeae2fbb8fab7fea.jpeg

pic 1 - Weimann now very central, despite the fact he’s now meant to be LW.  Knight starting to coming infield.

pic 2 - Dickie threads a straight ball into Knight who is 20 yards infield now.  Pops a first time ball to Weimann, who puts Sykes (out of picture) in to cross.

That to me feels anything but rigid.  But I think some of this comes from Weimann and Knight as players and the way they play.  Was it an orchestrated move from the training ground?  I doubt it, but I imagine the principles of moving (Weimann) to create space for Knight was.

The other bit of pic 2 is that Pring could’ve been slid in had Knight rolled his man to the left.

So good old pass and move alive and well, and I think some players will relish it, some won’t.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

First half of your post, yep, football is STILL a simple game.

Second half of your post, yep, and I think a lot of that still comes back to the individuals on the pitch and can they adapt?

I don’t know (yet) how we will look in 8 weeks time, at the end of the window.  If it’s largely the same players with a constant number injured I doubt much will change.

If we’ve got a few back and maybe supplemented by a couple of new players in the window it could look quite different.

It’s interesting you note Sykes popped up on the right for our goal.  The assumption (correct assumption imho) was that he and Weimann had swapped.

But if you run the move through from a Norwich throw-in in their RB position.

Image.thumb.jpeg.6bada107bc97a8f945dd6b4f505e9038.jpeg

pic 1 - throw-in, Weimann and Sykes, swapping over.

pic 2 - Dickie initially got the ball, then played a bit of tennis with Pring, before looking to go right.

pic 3 - ball cycles all the way out to Sykes on the RW.

pic 4 - ball comes back again!  Yawns!!! 🤣

You can make out Weimann is pointing to Knight, not sure what he’s asking him to do, but at least there’s something going on.  Maybe he doesn’t point and run a lot, maybe there’s purpose?

Image.thumb.jpeg.21daee0e993b4246aeae2fbb8fab7fea.jpeg

pic 1 - Weimann now very central, despite the fact he’s now meant to be LW.  Knight starting to coming infield.

pic 2 - Dickie threads a straight ball into Knight who is 20 yards infield now.  Pops a first time ball to Weimann, who puts Sykes (out of picture) in to cross.

That to me feels anything but rigid.  But I think some of this comes from Weimann and Knight as players and the way they play.  Was it an orchestrated move from the training ground?  I doubt it, but I imagine the principles of moving (Weimann) to create space for Knight was.

The other bit of pic 2 is that Pring could’ve been slid in had Knight rolled his man to the left.

So good old pass and move alive and well, and I think some players will relish it, some won’t.

Pic 4 you can see the space that Sykes had in front of him beyond the defender but just passes it the way he's facing. I think its unlike Sykes and maybe a small indication of taking the requested ball retention too literally. It'll take time to assimilate a the change and people should maybe be a bit patient.

There are too many individuals in life who constantly take the “high ground” on any debate in order to feel superior ( even if they actually agree with the point that’s being made by a grumbler/ ranter . ) Agreeing with the Grumbler would of course negate the warm feeling of superior intellect ! These individuals are known as a@@@@@@@s who simply don’t understand that we all need to be allowed a good rant now and again without being constantly re-educated by the likes of Matt on Bristol Live . Would he try to rationalise with his other half and educate her/ him as to their failings if they had a ranty five minutes ( and risk a missile being lobbed in his direction ) or would he sensibly just shut up , keep his head down and let them get it out of their system ? He needs to follow this ethos with us too !!!! 

Edited by Baldyman

43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That to me feels anything but rigid.  But I think some of this comes from Weimann and Knight as players and the way they play.

I agree and do think it’s more to do with the personnel and their reading of the game. Despite a lot of people’s downers on Weimann (headless chicken and all that), I’ve always thought he’s made good runs in the past and hasn’t often been picked out at the right times. He’s got more intelligence and isn’t just an engine as some say IMO. As I said and you point out with the goal as an example, that it’s anything but rigid. The key for the players and Manning is to get this happening far more often, players executing it with more instinct and fluidity. Then it will obviously look rigid. A couple of key recruits in January with that sort of nous along with practice makes perfect I guess ready for next season I guess. 

On that question of time periods for this all to come together? Rest of season, 2 years or the 3.5 years of LM’s contract?

NP had a 3 year plan at the beginning of his permanent tenure. My feeling from last season was that was what NP genuinely thought and sold to the Board that it should take. When he actually got into seeing the nitty gritty reality of the job saw it was more of a task than he thought. Particularly with getting rid of players on those big wage contracts and not being able to bring in substantial change as quickly as he originally anticipated. I think he was a year behind in his predictions. I actually believe with the right backing (and I don’t mean spending tons of Scott money - just a little in a couple of key areas) we would be closer to the play off contenders this year, with a definite push next year.

The biggest annoyance is not that LM is here or that we are seemingly wanting to play a different style that we are putting back our progress again. So why the **** didn’t we recruit that type of coach after Johnson and Holden at the very least. And I don’t accept that hindsight’s a wonderful thing because we’ve had a track record of this for years. That’s the thing that makes me really mad, not NP v. LM personality stuff. Let’s hope we stick to a bloody plan once and for all. Flexibility within that if conditions demand it, but stick to the philosophy and bigger picture. I feared in previous posts ages ago that we seem to rip it up and start again. I actually don’t think this will be quite that, but for me there’s no denying it will be significant changes (and yet again patience) needed. I’m prepared to wait (no choice have to supporting this club) as long as we get tangible progress and excitement along the way.

• Like 2

Can't speak for anyone else but this preaching, telling us how we should think, perhaps to get over NP and the unceremonious manner if his departure it grates.

I expect there will be some division in the fanbase until Manning wins games with relative consistency.

You make a change to get better right? If you don't get better or at least maintain the level while building for better why make the change.

• Flames 1

@ray savino totally agree.  I hope LM evolves the work Nige did.  He will undoubtedly do some things different, but generally when I hear him speak, I don’t hear huge deviation from the messages Nige gave us.

The deviation comes from above and their inability to get across what they did, what they want, and what they’ve got.  Whether that be the pure football stuff or the other stuff like strategy and budgets.  They use terminology that doesn’t match the reality.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Meh said:

I do not do podcasts; never seen the appeal but seeing links on X etc to those 2 “Second Tier podcast” people I feel comfortable I do not need it in my life; just seems like ill-informed uber-fans thinking they are celebrities.

So cannot comment on that about Matt, but, on the article side I read one by him a few months ago that was really interesting so I thought ‘he talks sense’

Unfortunately that was one good article and others since have been arrogant, self-indulgent rubbish and rude about fellow fans who are not happy with the activities of the last few weeks.

In short, clearly a puppet of the club who is more concerned about upsetting potential future podcast guests than anything else. Will not be reading his articles again as he doesn’t speak for me.

Brilliant, sums up everything I feel, thanks....

• Like 1

At the end of the day everyone is entitled to their own opinions about the club they support.

Just because someone doesn’t agree doesn’t make them a person with less intelligence, nor does it make them less of a City fan. They just have opposite opinions as to what is required for the club to be successful and only time will tell.

What we do know is that the timeframe is a short one. By then end of this season the club needs to be challenging at the top end of the Championship. I think a few people who aren’t grumbling might have ‘brushed over’ the statements made by JL…..but they were very clear and backed up by BT. If we’re writing off this season and talking about the next 2 or 3 transfer windows then there is a very serious integrity problem at the top.

Edited by Gert Mare
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Can't speak for anyone else but this preaching, telling us how we should think, perhaps to get over NP and the unceremonious manner if his departure it grates.

I expect there will be some division in the fanbase until Manning wins games with relative consistency.

You make a change to get better right? If you don't get better or at least maintain the level while building for better why make the change.

All that does is stir already raw feelings. 

Manning needs to get us playing exciting to watch football and win us games AND deliver on the brief that the board set out. 

So far from what I've seen not much has convinced me that our progress will be accelerated under Manning and that stirs the raw feelings as it just makes me think why? 

Again I have to reiterate that this isn't a slight on Manning. All these strong raw feelings are aimed purely and solely at the board. 

• Like 1