IGNORED

Barnsley Vs Wycombe crazy winner

phantom

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I seem to recall something along the lines of if the keeper has the ball in one hand but pressure on it, ie when it’s on the ground, he’s considered to be in control.  So a bit like a try in rugby when they have to apply pressure.

I might’ve got the interpretation wrong, but the old “two hands” shout wasn’t as defined as I thought.

There is nothing in the law about pressure. You cannot challenge a keeper when he throws the ball or bounces it. Having the ball in one hand, in the palm, or having a hand on top of the ball is the keeper being in possession and the keeper cannot be challenged.

A keeper cannot also be challenged by an opponent who is not in a playable distance of the ball.  

The laws have been gradually adapted to take into consideration the safety of keepers. They are more vulnerable than the outfield players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

There is nothing in the law about pressure. You cannot challenge a keeper when he throws the ball or bounces it. Having the ball in one hand, in the palm, or having a hand on top of the ball is the keeper being in possession and the keeper cannot be challenged.

A keeper cannot also be challenged by an opponent who is not in a playable distance of the ball.  

The laws have been gradually adapted to take into consideration the safety of keepers. They are more vulnerable than the outfield players.

Knew you’d know.  

In my eyes, it all boils down to what constitutes a challenge.

If the striker was attempting to get the ball off of the keeper, IMO that's a challenge. If the striker touches the keeper, but isn't trying to get the ball, then that's not a challenge, and not a foul either (dependent on severity)

A lot of people forget that you can touch someone in football and not commit a foul, and that's what annoys the hell out of me with some VAR penalties, with all the ex-professionals saying things like "he got the player before the ball" - so what !!! Touching someone doesn't make it a foul, football isn't non-contact.

It's no different than two midfielders jockeying with each other in the middle of the field whilst they wait for for a keeper to kick the ball from his hands. They're not challenging each other for the ball, and I do believe football isn't a non-contact sport, therefore unless one of those players is using excessive force, it's not a foul. Same applies to the keeper in this instance.

TBH, if this happened against us this evening, I'd be livid. Probably more so with our goalkeeper going to ground trying to make a meal of it. Let's be honest, keepers are some of the biggest players in the team and have no need to go to ground when brushed.

22 hours ago, beaverface said:

In my eyes, it all boils down to what constitutes a challenge.

If the striker was attempting to get the ball off of the keeper, IMO that's a challenge. If the striker touches the keeper, but isn't trying to get the ball, then that's not a challenge, and not a foul either (dependent on severity)

A lot of people forget that you can touch someone in football and not commit a foul, and that's what annoys the hell out of me with some VAR penalties, with all the ex-professionals saying things like "he got the player before the ball" - so what !!! Touching someone doesn't make it a foul, football isn't non-contact.

It's no different than two midfielders jockeying with each other in the middle of the field whilst they wait for for a keeper to kick the ball from his hands. They're not challenging each other for the ball, and I do believe football isn't a non-contact sport, therefore unless one of those players is using excessive force, it's not a foul. Same applies to the keeper in this instance.

TBH, if this happened against us this evening, I'd be livid. Probably more so with our goalkeeper going to ground trying to make a meal of it. Let's be honest, keepers are some of the biggest players in the team and have no need to go to ground when brushed.

That’s all true, but it doesn’t seem to acknowledge that there are also challenges that ARE fouls, even where getting the ball is the intent.

Most challenges are, at the end of the day, about getting the ball, but a challenge that involved pushing another player over in order to do so isn’t legitimate. Shoulder to shoulder, yes: shoulder to face, no.

And it doesn’t need to be about the level of force, either. Some trips are quite gentle!

I wouldn’t want to be a ref, that’s for sure! But still a foul for me in this instance!