IGNORED

Tanner

BCFCOFSWEDEN

4 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Been said before that right back is often the worst footballer, because if you are right footed and any good you would play in another position. Maybe a bit harsh, but Tanner does seem to struggle to see a pass or take the ball forward. The contrast with Pring on the left is marked. So if we have to have a back 3 without Atkinson or Naismith, then Vyner, Dickie and Pring seems the best option. I guess the concern then is playing Zak on the right and him getting caught out…

As an ex right-back I categorically deny this. I was excellent. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think last week he retained possession well, even if people wanted him to be more ambitious. But we don’t know what instructions Manning gave him last week and it may have been that he was told to keep possession rather than playing speculative balls forward. In any case, I don’t think it even about Manning bringing players in - McCrorie was brought in to be first choice right back and I suspect he will be once fit.

I also noticed that multiple times, not only in this game but against Norwich too, he lines up to pass into the middle and the player to receive the pass (assume it would be James or Williams/TGH point back, telling him to pass it back to Vyner/ Dickie. I don’t know if that’s because they don’t trust his passing or they don’t want to be played into trouble, but I don’t always think he plays backwards of his own volition 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I’ve got news for you - he’s not even in the bottom 3 full backs at City.

Some of us have lived through Rickie Foster and Nicky Hunt and Ryan McGiven and that’s just the past 15 years!

Depends what your referring to in term of passing and going forward I'd say Tanner is worst then Foster no one is worst then hunt though 

In fairness a lot of the weaknesses people talk about on this thread are things that Manning could potentially work on. He’s a good solid defender which is a good base to start with

Obviously Manning isn’t going to improve players overnight 

Funnily enough in the Southampton game i thought he was one of our better players 

Edited by East Londoner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

I like Tanner as a defensive RB, but I have noticed that he doesn't 'see a pass,' as he receives the ball. This necessitates him stopping the ball, looking up to see what is on and then going  backwards as forward passing options are closed down.

suprises me really as he was coached for quite a number of years at Manchester Utd... 

13 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Been said before that right back is often the worst footballer, because if you are right footed and any good you would play in another position. Maybe a bit harsh, but Tanner does seem to struggle to see a pass or take the ball forward. The contrast with Pring on the left is marked. So if we have to have a back 3 without Atkinson or Naismith, then Vyner, Dickie and Pring seems the best option. I guess the concern then is playing Zak on the right and him getting caught out…

Erm, Gary Neville, Phil Neal, TA-A, that's before you get to the likes of Thuram, Lahm, Cafu etc. 

9 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

As an ex right-back I categorically deny this. I was excellent. 

But, judging by your username, a little on the small side right? :)

Anyway back to the beasting, George isn't a natural wingback, but he is clearly working hard to add what's necessary to his game. He has been combining well with Sykes in recent games, but if course yesterday he was not only out of position he was literally outclassed in terms of pace.

Generally my only regular issue with him is that he plays very narrow in defence, but the fact he has been like this under two managers for two seasons, suggests it's how he is being asked to play.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

But, judging by your username, a little on the small side right? :)

Anyway back to the beasting, George isn't a natural wingback, but he is clearly working hard to add what's necessary to his game. He has been combining well with Sykes in recent games, but if course yesterday he was not only out of position he was literally outclassed in terms of pace.

Generally my only regular issue with him is that he plays very narrow in defence, but the fact he has been like this under two managers for two seasons, suggests it's how he is being asked to play.

Unusually tall for a right back actually.

Terrible in the air, but then, if you are having to head a football as a full-back, you are probably out of position or your centre-backs are not good enough.

Thats what I always said anyway.

• Haha 2