IGNORED

Arsenal 0 Bristol City 1 august 1976 radio question

Never to the dark side

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

Was there anyone who didn't go to the match and listened to the match?

Radio 2 was responsible for second half only coverage of a top flight game

Although Radio Bristol most probably had up dates on the game

QUESTION IS: what was the radio coverage from RB or radio 2 on that day.

Thanks in advance

It was the main game on “The big match” with Brian Moore the next day, “Supermac’s” debut for Arsenal after his big move from Newcastle as well

• Like 1

Stayed up in London the night before the game.

DJ Emperor Rosko saying on the radio in the morning how Arsenal were going to slaughter the Bristol City upstarts with new record signing Malcolm MacDonald getting a hat trick.

Didn't quite work out like that, bet he'd never heard of Paul Cheesley, but he had by 5 o'clock!

And as we sang on the day. 'Old MacDonald had a w*nk, ee-i-ee-i-o!'

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

I listened to the match on RB, I went to Highbury the following season when we were 4-1 down after about 20 minutes but thankfully it remained that way.

As for the RB coverage I just remember it being updates with Herbie Gilliam, I think, on a phone every 10 to 15 minutes. I cannot remember if they announced that a goal had been scored and then went over especially to Highbury, or if they announced as the next report was due that a goal had been scored in that time. What I do recall is they never seemed to say who the goal had been scored for, it was left to the reporter to inform us at the start of his report.

3 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Or the Premier League?

What were we thinking?

I'm off for a cry Shelts.

Yes , just the 134 after he left us , for Bolton and WBA , at ‘this’ level , and above !!

Fml

I was a big fan of Carl Shutt and gutted when we traded him .....but what came in that trade ....Booooooom

Not often we’ve done that 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I listened to the match on RB, I went to Highbury the following season when we were 4-1 down after about 20 minutes but thankfully it remained that way.

As for the RB coverage I just remember it being updates with Herbie Gilliam, I think, on a phone every 10 to 15 minutes. I cannot remember if they announced that a goal had been scored and then went over especially to Highbury, or if they announced as the next report was due that a goal had been scored in that time. What I do recall is they never seemed to say who the goal had been scored for, it was left to the reporter to inform us at the start of his report.

Yeh, Liam Brady destroyed us!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Only time that I ever visited Highbury (was just too young to go to the Cheesley one on my own), we were absolutely outclassed & I think they basically declared at HT.

Cracker of a goal by Trevor Tainton if memory serves, but we were 4 down already & it was scant consolation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Only time that I ever visited Highbury (was just too young to go to the Cheesley one on my own), we were absolutely outclassed & I think they basically declared at HT.

Cracker of a goal by Trevor Tainton if memory serves, but we were 4 down already & it was scant consolation.

Same here I was 13 in the summer of 76. You are referring to the same match I went to the following season in Feb or March 78. If I recall correctly we also hit the woodwork twice after Tainton's goal. Rovers were playing Spurs at Eastville that day in the return of the 9-0 drubbling they had experienced at White Hart Lane (they lost again 2-3 and again on Match of the Day). And when we were 4-0 down after 20 minutes I began to think we would experience a 9-0 hammering maybe worse! So thankfully it got marginally better and not worse.

• Robin 1

20 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

As for Liam Brady out of all the opposition players I seen in our four year stint in the top flight he was the best. 

Ricky Villa at AG on a frost covered pitch & the late Kazimerz Deyna of Man City, what a player he was.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Ricky Villa at AG on a frost covered pitch & the late Kazimerz Deyna of Man City, what a player he was.

Yes agree about Villa we had all heard about Ardiles he was the exciting one but on that difficult pitch Villa was superb that day. And it was pre 1981 Cup Final replay when he made his name.

I remember in that match the Spurs keeper Kendall knocked himself out as the back of his  head hit the part of the pitch at the covered end that was rock hard due to not getting the sun on it. The game simply wouldn't be played today.

Edited by handsofclay
  • Like 1
  • Robin 1