IGNORED

Harry Cornick

Redminer

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think you both raise perfectly good arguments and I agree.

I constantly come back to - if we’d spent another £3m plus wages in the summer on TWO players of the calibre of Knight and Dickie, might we be a lot closer to the top 6 than we are?

Off the back of £20-25m for Alex Scott.  I don’t buy the “budgets set in March / front loaded the signings” bollox.  That was retrofitted because they’d moved into “sack Nige” plans.

Wasted opportunity, and going over old ground, to spite Nige, or at least make it more difficult for him.

Spot on dave it's a real frustration and just seems very underwhelming from the board of directors ( mainly Steve Lansdown ) yes the crap JL and BT come out with is just a smoke screen definitely! I do have this feeling weather rightly or wrongly that Steve has completely lost interest in the football.

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 4

Ok, he only cost £300k and his salary must be low if he came from Luton, but I don’t see that as being a very good reason for signing him. Basically he hasn’t got any of the attributes needed of a forward - he’s not fast, not particularly good in the air against big defenders, ok ball control but nothing exciting and, most importantly, he’s got a poor goal scoring record over his entire career. He had one good season at Luton when he scored 12, but that’s it. I could understand the signing if he was a young player who might improve with the right coaching, but he’s now 28. 

I would have preferred a spend (perhaps pushed the boat out to £500k!) on a player from the lower leagues who could at least hold up the ball when batting as a lone forward against big defenders. That’s what we currently don’t have. They are around, probably wouldn’t score many at Championship level, but neither does Cornick 

• Like 4

I don’t mind seeing him come on for 10 mins when we’re 2-0 and closing the game off. He’s not a player to bring on when you want a goal.

For 300k and a good attitude, I’m not too upset he’s around the team. He just needs to be 3rd/4th choice, not our 2nd choice striker.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I constantly come back to - if we’d spent another £3m plus wages in the summer on TWO players of the calibre of Knight and Dickie, might we be a lot closer to the top 6 than we are?

Off the back of £20-25m for Alex Scott.  I don’t buy the “budgets set in March / front loaded the signings” bollox.  That was retrofitted because they’d moved into “sack Nige” plans.

Wasted opportunity, and going over old ground, to spite Nige, or at least make it more difficult for him.

One thing I've been wrestling with is why they didn't sack NP at the end of last season. That actually would have made more sense than doing it when they did if you believe, as I do, that they essentially wanted to get rid. The fan unrest would have been there but would have had no focal point - two months until the next game etc. The new man would have time to work with the players, and we could have recruited properly with the board presumably wanting to support a new manager.

They sacked NP at the first relatively opportune moment anyway (after 5 defeats in 7). They must have known we wouldn't really be challenging for the top six.

Of course, they wouldn't have appointed LM in the summer.

Perhaps they had vague notions rather than clear plans.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

One thing I've been wrestling with is why they didn't sack NP at the end of last season. That actually would have made more sense than doing it when they did if you believe, as I do, that they essentially wanted to get rid. The fan unrest would have been there but would have had no focal point - two months until the next game etc. The new man would have time to work with the players, and we could have recruited properly with the board presumably wanting to support a new manager.

They sacked NP at the first relatively opportune moment anyway (after 5 defeats in 7). They must have known we wouldn't really be challenging for the top six.

The only thing is I don't think fans unrest bothers SL or JL in the slightest, they almost seem to revel in it .

• Flames 1

25 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Spot on dave it's a real frustration and just seems very underwhelming from the board of directors ( mainly Steve Lansdown ) yes the crap JL and BT come out with is just a smoke screen definitely! I do have this feeling weather rightly or wrongly that Steve has completely lost interest in the football.

He has lost interest, it’s Jon’s club now with Steve underwriting the costs. One reason being they can’t sell it in the current BS structure.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Spot on Dave. Our glorious leaders knew exactly what they were up to. Nige was trying to evolve the team into a more possession based side, so what do they do? Sack him to bring in a 'bright young thing' to turn the side into a ...err...possession based side........overnight!

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Yes if you want to remain a 14th to 16th placed championship team I suppose. I just feel there is a huge area for improvement i always tend to come full circle with these things and come back to the baord and ownership and I don't think we will really get to where we as fans want to be untill steve passes the batton on to someone else.

They’re good players for the budget though. The days of spending £8m on centre halves are gone. We’re not going to get players I.E that Sunderland have in Robert’s or Clarke 

3 hours ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Reported fee was £300k wasn’t it? Not sure what we expect for that, but presumably not expecting him/anyone for that fee to tear up the Championship? Personally think he does okay given the outlay. If we’re saying we’d prefer to have £10m strikers, think that’s a different debate. 

Always intrigued by your forum name! Cant say ive ever heard of a pub called this before. Any idea why Swan and Cemetery?

Edited by Will Rollason

39 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Ok, he only cost £300k and his salary must be low if he came from Luton, but I don’t see that as being a very good reason for signing him. Basically he hasn’t got any of the attributes needed of a forward - he’s not fast, not particularly good in the air against big defenders, ok ball control but nothing exciting and, most importantly, he’s got a poor goal scoring record over his entire career. He had one good season at Luton when he scored 12, but that’s it. I could understand the signing if he was a young player who might improve with the right coaching, but he’s now 28. 

I would have preferred a spend (perhaps pushed the boat out to £500k!) on a player from the lower leagues who could at least hold up the ball when batting as a lone forward against big defenders. That’s what we currently don’t have. They are around, probably wouldn’t score many at Championship level, but neither does Cornick 

My rationale was - timing.  We’d lost Semenyo (not suggesting he was signed to replace him) and Martin was shot at this level, so needed a forward.  He’d been on our list anyway, was not first choice at Luton, so we took the opportunity to sign him for a low fee.  My only real criticism was giving him a 3.5 year deal, but you probably don’t get him if you only offer 2.5.  He’s an experienced Champ performer.

In that window we tried to sign Ogbene - he would’ve been a more a replacement for Semenyo, but Rotherham weren’t budging.  They didn’t care about his contract situation, they just wanted to stay up (which they did). He’s now in the PL! So we would’ve gone higher for the right player, just couldn’t get the one we really wanted, and therefore gambled a bit.

So far it hasn’t worked out,

26 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

They didn’t have the bottle!!!

Seriously though, it’s something I wondered too.  I can only guess that with summer recruitment plans already in full swing, if you sack Nige, you probably start from scratch - and we were trying to get ahead of the game whilst other clubs had to wait to sell before they buy.

As you say, I think it was always in the back of their minds.

3 hours ago, Redminer said:

Not for me, nor any of the many people I've spoken to. Don't see what he offers. Never looks like scoring, runs around aimlessly, rarely wins a header and that long throw ain't that long. Does anyone see a strength he offers us? 

And he's even got his own song!

Hopefully Wells will be ready to start or come on against Hull, was it too early for him today?

The new Baz Savage? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Cornick reminds me of Danny Haynes. He is very energetic, really difficult for the opposition to mark but not very prolific in front of goal. 

He’s the hardworking partner type.  With Adebayo he was the one busting a gut to get the bits and pieces so Adebayo could position himself for diags, or do Adebayo’s pressing for him.  He’s not a goalscoring forward (he’s had one purple season) but he can be an effective team player.  He’s better playing around the centre of the pitch than out wide imho.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

My rationale was - timing.  We’d lost Semenyo (not suggesting he was signed to replace him) and Martin was shot at this level, so needed a forward.  He’d been on our list anyway, was not first choice at Luton, so we took the opportunity to sign him for a low fee.  My only real criticism was giving him a 3.5 year deal, but you probably don’t get him if you only offer 2.5.  He’s an experienced Champ performer.

In that window we tried to sign Ogbene - he would’ve been a more a replacement for Semenyo, but Rotherham weren’t budging.  They didn’t care about his contract situation, they just wanted to stay up (which they did). He’s now in the PL! So we would’ve gone higher for the right player, just couldn’t get the one we really wanted, and therefore gambled a bit.

So far it hasn’t worked out,

They didn’t have the bottle!!!

Seriously though, it’s something I wondered too.  I can only guess that with summer recruitment plans already in full swing, if you sack Nige, you probably start from scratch - and we were trying to get ahead of the game whilst other clubs had to wait to sell before they buy.

As you say, I think it was always in the back of their minds.

I suspect if someone who matched their profile and budget was available in the summer they may have acted then.

Wish they had tbf because the fallout would have been negligible in comparison and just maybe  more funds would have been made available.

Cornick’s socks annoy me more than they should do. Like, if you’re gonna do the poncey low sock nonsense you’ve gotta have the talent to back up looking like an idiot. 

Like your Scotts, your Grealishes. Cornick, however, just looks like he was told he was playing two minutes before he came on and was in the shower at the time and got dressed in a rush. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

For me, the issue with Cornick is that he strikes me as someone who operates best as a nuisance who puts himself about and draws the defence’s attention away from more composed attackers enabling them to get into more dangerous spaces. But the way we play doesn’t really lend itself to that.

We don’t get the forwards close enough to each other so, when Cornick distracts the defence, there is nobody to take advantage.

Not his fault and he works hard but I just don’t see him as a fit with how we’ve played under either manager.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

Cornick’s socks annoy me more than they should do. Like, if you’re gonna do the poncey low sock nonsense you’ve gotta have the talent to back up looking like an idiot. 

Like your Scotts, your Grealishes. Cornick, however, just looks like he was told he was playing two minutes before he came on and was in the shower at the time and got dressed in a rush. 

I genuinely don’t get the low sock thing anyway. Grealish does it because the socks are so tight he can’t get them over his massive calves. Most of the players that copy him have legs like pipe cleaners . I know, I’m getting old 😤

3 hours ago, Will Rollason said:

Always intrigued by your forum name! Cant say ive ever heard of a pub called this before. Any idea why Swan and Cemetery?

Pub near Bury’s Gigg Lane. Battling with the Springfield Arms, Wigan for my favourite away pub, slightly more intriguing name wins the day. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It’s fair to say he hasn’t been a success.  But that’s recruitment for you.  I still think he offers us something, but I think we all hoped he’d bring more of the impact he made as a player at Luton to us.

I don’t want us to waste any money, but he was £300k, so that’s some context…and he was to replace Chris Martin, who’s legs had gone (at Champ level).

Yep, he took a bad, heavy touch yesterday when do the hard work to cut across their defender.  He’s generally done alright this season when he’s played, and you can bet the bloke marking him each week, has a slightly different view than our fans.

I know what you mean Dave I bet a defender marking him will have his work cut out marking him , 

5 hours ago, Will Rollason said:

Swan & cemetry I’m sure there is a pub called that outside bury fc ground 

oh just read beat me to it , I been in there a few times down the years , always use to meet my cousin in there when we played Bury , he was a bury fan and recommend that boozer 

Edited by redkev

I’ve stuck up for him & certainly accept he’s being given a very short time in games to make an impression but if was Manning he’s one I would be speaking to in January & saying at present you’re not in my long term plans if you want to look to move on.

I’d have the same conversation with Naismith whose availability record isn’t good enough & if either moved on look to replace them.

Those out of contract next summer I would wait on at this moment in time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I’ve stuck up for him & certainly accept he’s being given a very short time in games to make an impression but if was Manning he’s one I would be speaking to in January & saying at present you’re not in my long term plans if you want to look to move on.

I’d have the same conversation with Naismith whose availability record isn’t good enough & if either moved on look to replace them.

Those out of contract next summer I would wait on at this moment in time.

Likewise, if you can trade certain players, then fine..  If they have no interest in leaving, then it’s a case of trying to improve them whilst they’re still here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Flounder said:

My issue is this

What have we done to him!

The thing is, why does a club suddenly stop playing a player who was playing and scoring like that, and sell them so cheaply. It's like they knew they had got the best from him, and he had lost his speed or strength, or confidence or whatever. People say he was cheap, because he was like 300K, and many think he is on a low wage as he came from Luton, but, he scored goals in the Championship and he wouldn't have left Luton for a lesser wage. I would be very surprised if he was on less than 10K a week. Strikers tend to be top earners, and I doubt he is on as low a wage as people think. 

• Like 5

To my mind forwards need to play regularly to pick up the speed of the game, to get their rhythm and more importantly confidence. Playing 15 mins here or there and playing wide just doesn’t suit Cornick. 6 or 7 consecutive games of 60 mins or more then Cornick does not misfire on the one on one he had at the end of the game. I think he’s another one like Conway, better as a 2.

I like him as he gives us something we don’t have in terms of a slightly more physical and in your face element, the video shows clearly what he’s capable of, we just don’t lay him to his strengths.

Edited by bexhill reds
  • Like 3