IGNORED

Harry Cornick

Redminer

8 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

All of our forwards would perform better in a genuine two, rather than either being isolated or pushed wide in a three. 

Exactly. When McCrorie, Atkinson, Roberts and Naismith are fit I'm hoping to see more of a 3-5-2 as I think our strikers would be more suited to that. Currently we just have too many defenders injured to consistently play this way I suspect.

I still can't get over the interview in which Nige asserted that Cornick was a central striker that will bring physicality. Nige then played Cornick almost exclusively as a wide forward, and it was clear that there wasn't much physicality.

There was also that interview where Cornick was very humble talking about his breakthrough into pro footy. The bit that concerned me was that he said he didn't make it in the game due to natural talent or hard work, bit mainly his natural fitness. I'm sure he works hard now, but the fitness won't last forever (he's 29 in April).

On the pitch there clearly isn't an issue with temperament; he's a willing runner, but his speed off the mark is awful. He looks like he's trying to move with a sandbag on his shoulders.

He might still turn things around, but it really doesn't look likely. Sadly, I think his knockers were right all along.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Exactly. When McCrorie, Atkinson, Roberts and Naismith are fit I'm hoping to see more of a 3-5-2 as I think our strikers would be more suited to that. Currently we just have too many defenders injured to consistently play this way I suspect.

“When all of those are all fit” seems a very unlikely basis to plan from.

Naismith’s availability record is poor, Roberts has shown little to believe he’s going to be in contention.

The other two have been unlucky with one injury, that’s where I’d start planning.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Naismith’s availability record is poor, Roberts has shown little to believe he’s going to be in contention.

The other two have been unlucky with one injury, that’s where I’d start planning.

It obviously doesn't need ALL of them to be fit. The point was that we are a bit light on defenders currently to play a three, which would allow us to play two up front. However that could change in the near future.

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

This time next season Rodney, we'll all be fit ....

Its very easy to "bin" players off. In fairness to Cornick he's usually brought on as an impact sub which is not his favoured position. I think he makes a difference when he does come on. I would like to see him given a start up front instead of Conway. Like most of our strikers they need to play in partnerships. Conway is less effective as a lone striker, same as Bell and Cornick. I don't think that the system we play at the moment benefits the striker position or what we have as a striker & as far as I am aware Semenyo doesn't play for us any more. That should be a question for the head coach to sort out. I am surprised others haven't questioned how we set up. 

• Flames 1

22 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I genuinely don’t get the low sock thing anyway. Grealish does it because the socks are so tight he can’t get them over his massive calves. Most of the players that copy him have legs like pipe cleaners . I know, I’m getting old 😤

Exactly! Grealish does it cause his calves are the size of a small country. Cornick has the thinnest legs I’ve ever seen.  One hit in the shins and he’ll probably disintegrate. 

The video on this thread,  and the fans at Luton, when we signed him, rated him, there is a player in there for sure. As others have alluded on this thread, a player needs a run of games to get going... He never seems to get that.  Yet both TC and SB seem to be misfiring as well . I would like to see him start against Hull.. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 1

It will be interesting to see how Cornick fits in now Wells is back from injury. I think he does do a lot off the ball, and does hold the ball up well up front. He hasn't scored many goals for us and maybe needs a bit more game time and like people have said on this thread, maybe need to play him with another striker along side as a front 2? 

• Confused 1

On 17/12/2023 at 10:06, Redrascal2 said:

I would have said his long throw was the only thing he offers. Nothing else he does is up to the standard needed in the Championship. Hopefully we will sign some strikers in the future and we can off load him. 

He is honest and works hard. The 300k was cheap, but clearly he is going to be on decent wages here, hes an experienced pro,,, and thats where we have the problem. we are struggling with wage budgets, allegedly, while we are paying salaries out on several of the squad now who arent really up to it. 

• Thanks 1

Don't really get the criticism for Cornick. Okay some more goals and assists would be nice..the wonder save v WBA and hitting the post v Ipswich and it rolling along the line- potential gamechanging and maybe season changing for him.

He is a depth player, who perhaps hasn't played in his best position due to the tactical needs of the side..presses well when on, probably plays less when we have a fully fit Wells, Weimann and Conway all at the same time.

£300,000 fee, depth player in a thin squad- can be a bit wider or more central, fairly versatile.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 6
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't really get the criticism for Cornick. Okay some more goals and assists would be nice..the wonder save v WBA and hitting the post v Ipswich and it rolling along the line- potential gamechanging and maybe season changing for him.

He is a depth player, who perhaps hasn't played in his best position due to the tactical needs of the side..presses well when on, probably plays less when we have a fully fit Wells, Weimann and Conway all at the same time.

£300,000 fee, depth player in a thin squad- can be a bit wider or more central, fairly versatile.

Me neither.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, Wade Wilson said:

Exactly! Grealish does it cause his calves are the size of a small country. Cornick has the thinnest legs I’ve ever seen.  One hit in the shins and he’ll probably disintegrate. 

This is what you call thin legs

IMG_5283.jpeg

Cornick always make me think like he is playing with a group of mates in a pub team for fun. He seems to enjoy himself and is willing to have a go, but if he gets the ball it is rarely cleanly taken cleanly and it seems almost by accident. If the ball gets passed to him it is like he is surprised and not ready for it, he then seems to panic and nothing he does seems very natural or comfortable.

He is hard to watch, I'd love him to live up to his song but with the odd 10 minutes here and there it's not going to happen easily or any time soon.

54 minutes ago, Corsham Alf said:

Sorry but Cornick is nowhere near good enough.

We took a punt at £300k so it’s not a great loss.

But he will never make it at Champs level. 

He seldom wins any headers, technically he is poor and he’s not quick or strong. He tries very hard but we need so much more. He’s like a better version of Bas Savage!

I can't agree with you there pal. He wins a lot of headers which is mainly down to his good timing. He reads the game better than some of our younger talent and is prepared to put in a shift for the team.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

On 18/12/2023 at 02:47, LondonBristolian said:

For me, the issue with Cornick is that he strikes me as someone who operates best as a nuisance who puts himself about and draws the defence’s attention away from more composed attackers enabling them to get into more dangerous spaces. But the way we play doesn’t really lend itself to that.

We don’t get the forwards close enough to each other so, when Cornick distracts the defence, there is nobody to take advantage.

Not his fault and he works hard but I just don’t see him as a fit with how we’ve played under either manager.

Another Matty Taylor ???

• Like 1