IGNORED

Harry Cornick

Redminer

2 minutes ago, Topper 123 said:

Why is our recruitment only around the U.K. there must be players abroad that are willing to come to the U.K. on a 3 year contract.we must be the only team in championship without a foreign player 

That’s the bit I’m critical about.  I think they have improved in the last couple of years.

And whilst Brexit made getting work permits very difficult for a period for the types of player profile / budget we were looking at, those rules changed in the summer.  Boro and Sunderland were out of the traps taking advantage straight away.  It remains to be seen whether we will try to play catch-up.  My gut feel is - I very much doubt it.  We will retain our focus predominantly on players in the UK.  Other clubs have long standing networks in Ireland too.

• Like 2

Just watched that vid, looks sharp there-good range of different types of goals. Assuming the 2021-22 season?

At Luton there was a fundamentally different shape for one, it happens.

Here again I go back to the WBA and Ipswich games. One wonder save, one really unlucky hit woodwork and roll along the line.

Could that have sparked something for Cornick, we may have gained 4 points from the 2 games instead of 1. Second butterfly effect, might NP still be here had Cornick been a bit luckier with those 2 moments.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It doesn’t seem to take into account things like that, relegation reductions, players going OOC and dropping levels either in terms of division or profile of club, etc.

Nor do they account for loyalty bonuses, appearance bonuses, sub bonuses, international appearance bonuses, or any other kind of ratchet or bonus.

Player pay is kind of complex (in many ways it's also pretty simple).

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I wouldn’t post on here or lay claim  on a pod, that player x is on £x p.w.  I might say “I reckon he’s in this ball-park”.

Quite, nor would I. But I don't think it's much of a secret that we pay a first team player in the region of £12k per week as a basic wage. Some will get higher, others a little lower than that.

I don't know every player, but I've checked a few on FM especially and they are pretty close on most.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s the bit I’m critical about.  I think they have improved in the last couple of years.

And whilst Brexit made getting work permits very difficult for a period for the types of player profile / budget we were looking at, those rules changed in the summer.  Boro and Sunderland were out of the traps taking advantage straight away.  It remains to be seen whether we will try to play catch-up.  My gut feel is - I very much doubt it.  We will retain our focus predominantly on players in the UK.  Other clubs have long standing networks in Ireland too.

To be honest I highly doubt our recruitment network is wide structured or comprehensive enough to not only find players abroad but find good ones. Personally I think we have a very amateur scouting and recruitment network at the club which imo needs HUGH improvements this isn't any in the know knowledge its just my gut feeling. Isn't this something Brian tinion heads up ? :laugh: says it all really.

Edited by BCFC31

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

My best guess for Cornick would probably be in the £10-15k per week range. Unsure how bonuses etc factor into that, perhaps that would be basic, but it isn't uncommon for the level.

Its highly likely to be in that region,, and that salary should get us a higher level striker, or the attacking midfielder we are apparently looking for? Free up joe williams too and thats another 10-15k a week as well!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Its highly likely to be in that region,, and that salary should get us a higher level striker, or the attacking midfielder we are apparently looking for? Free up joe williams too and thats another 10-15k a week as well!

Why is everyone so surprised that 10-15k a week is a lot of money? Relative to your average man It is a truckload of cash, but in Chamipship football terms it's nothing more than average.  If you don't adjust for skew and the crazy amount of money the top teams in our league pay, it's way below average.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

One of the issues with Cornick is that he played in a specific role. Up there with Adebayo was some of his best output.

Whereas Cornick isn't necessarily a wide right, lone striker probably not- played either alongside or behind Adebayo at Luton. 3-5-2 or some version of.

I don't know if he had significant injuries prior to joining us, I know Williams had plenty when he was here to his and our detriment.

2 hours ago, BCFC31 said:

To be honest I highly doubt our recruitment network is wide structured or comprehensive enough to not only find players abroad but find good ones. Personally I think we have a very amateur scouting and recruitment network at the club which imo needs HUGH improvements this isn't any in the know knowledge its just my gut feeling. Isn't this something Brian tinion heads up ? :laugh: says it all really.

The breadth of coverage is not in line with a club with dreams of the PL.. what would we do if we suddenly got there?  Spin up a European scouting team in the close season, when no games are played!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Seriously though, it is a serious point.  And as we are on the Harry Cornick thread, imagine what you could get in terms of scouting for £300k?

Mark Ashton used to say our recruitment was “world class”, “the envy of others”, “you’d be surprised at how many clubs come and want to have a look at our recruitment set-up”.  Of course he did.  It was BS though wasn’t it.

From scouting through to Technical Recruitment it is not what it should be, although it has improved…from a low bar.

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One of the issues with Cornick is that he played in a specific role. Up there with Adebayo was some of his best output.

Whereas Cornick isn't necessarily a wide right, lone striker probably not- played either alongside or behind Adebayo at Luton. 3-5-2 or some version of.

I don't know if he had significant injuries prior to joining us, I know Williams had plenty when he was here to his and our detriment.

FWIW he played a lot I& his early career as a right winger, before gradually moving infield.  Playing off of Adebayo was “peak” Cornick.

Playing with someone is likely to see Cornick do better, how better, I dunno.

• Thanks 1

On 18/12/2023 at 16:03, SomeRandomBristolian said:

It will be interesting to see how Cornick fits in now Wells is back from injury. I think he does do a lot off the ball, and does hold the ball up well up front. He hasn't scored many goals for us and maybe needs a bit more game time and like people have said on this thread, maybe need to play him with another striker along side as a front 2? 

Yes a big agree here 

Edited by Rocking Red Cyril
I rite pooh