IGNORED

Jason Knight’s Big Pockets!

Davefevs

Did we make a tactical change at h-t?

Knight seemed to play less alongside Tommy w/o the ball, and a bit deeper and central with it.

It seemed to stop West Ham playing through the middle, whilst gave us a central, forward passing option for our deeper midfielders…as he found lots more space.

Thoughts?

+++++

Saw someone else suggest Mehmeti played narrow second half, but he’s been doing that most games anyway (not Millwall tho’).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Did we make a tactical change at h-t?

Knight seemed to play less alongside Tommy w/o the ball, and a bit deeper and central with it.

It seemed to stop West Ham playing through the middle, whilst gave us a central, forward passing option for our deeper midfielders…as he found lots more space.

Thoughts?

+++++

Saw someone else suggest Mehmeti played narrow second half, but he’s been doing that most games anyway (not Millwall tho’).

Yes 👍🏻

I thought both JK and AM both tucked into , almost old fashioned Inside Forwards second half Dave

Def tweak and worked well

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A bit harsh maybe but I thought Knight was our worst player by a distance today. His scuffed pass straight to Zouma on the break in the second minute set the tone for our bad start and didn't see him in the game much after that.

3 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Usually quite critical of Bell but thought bar a couple of loose passes/ bad touches he looked really good. Mehmeti also looked dangerous .

Agreed, they both did really well

• Like 1

Key change in the game was Paqueta going off injured. Had he stayed fit I think we would have been well beaten. He is their best player and way above anything you will see in the championship. 

Once he went off we established a foothold in the game and 2nd half we were excellent. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, The Gambler said:

Key change in the game was Paqueta going off injured. Had he stayed fit I think we would have been well beaten. He is their best player and way above anything you will see in the championship. 

Once he went off we established a foothold in the game and 2nd half we were excellent. 

The guy that came on for him up front was pretty useless thankfully

51 minutes ago, The Gambler said:

Agree. He was brilliant for three minutes.

Also didn’t realise how good Bowen is. 

it’s a really good wham team and we we matched them for all but first five minutes (when pacqueta was on pitch). Coufal basically plays as a right forward but thought Pring and Dickie did really well against him and Bowen. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, The Gambler said:

Exactly this. Talking to a West Ham fan (who was very complimentary about not only our side but our fans) said the same. They rely on him too much. Hadn't dawned on me until he said it, how his substitution changed the whole game. 

I do like Knight as a player. However, at times, it’s a bit of a waste having him as a no10. It was more evident today, he’s not very good in the final third. He was a decent first touch but it’s rarely a touch in the right direction. I would prefer someone more likely to score and assist in that role. Judging by the rumours, the club is looking at it.

• Like 3

I thought Mehmeti played more inside in the 1st half, Cam was so far up on the left he was playing as our widest attacker. With Tanner playing his usual defensive role, it was almost like a back 3 with Cam coming back to help out. 

1 hour ago, Henry said:

I do like Knight as a player. However, at times, it’s a bit of a waste having him as a no10. It was more evident today, he’s not very good in the final third. He was a decent first touch but it’s rarely a touch in the right direction. I would prefer someone more likely to score and assist in that role. Judging by the rumours, the club is looking at it.

Amen to that

Knight has a big role to play against possession sides but when we are taking the initiative he is pretty invisible/slows play down too much imo

I was saying in the pub before the game how we need to condense the midfield rather than leaving Bell & Mehmeti wide all the time. And as you say JK too advanced so he can be effective from deep & yet he still got into advanced positions late in the game, what an engine. 
I think Anis sometimes came central when there was a potential overlap but we all know his decision making can be erratic.

Great game & terrific atmosphere.

It was a strange view for me, not normally watching from behind the goal, or so far away so missed a lot of the nuances .

I thought Knight was very quiet , specially first half . He did seem deeper , or less inclined to get forward all game. It did seem like TC had more room 2nd half and we did look a little more compact. Definitely looked more of a midfield unit. If only we could reduce those misplaced, under hit and scruffy passes and Tommy could just learn to hold the ball up a little better , I think we'd be on to something. 

I really need to see the game back to gauge it properly . One word on Joe Williams, how many are saying get rid now ? That was a leaders performance right there.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

It was a strange view for me, not normally watching from behind the goal, or so far away so missed a lot of the nuances .

I thought Knight was very quiet , specially first half . He did seem deeper , or less inclined to get forward all game. It did seem like TC had more room 2nd half and we did look a little more compact. Definitely looked more of a midfield unit. If only we could reduce those misplaced, under hit and scruffy passes and Tommy could just learn to hold the ball up a little better , I think we'd be on to something. 

I really need to see the game back to gauge it properly . One word on Joe Williams, how many are saying get rid now ? That was a leaders performance right there.

💯

11 hours ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Exactly this. Talking to a West Ham fan (who was very complimentary about not only our side but our fans) said the same. They rely on him too much. Hadn't dawned on me until he said it, how his substitution changed the whole game. 

Yeah, I was sat with the WH fans and they love him. (They seem to love Kudus more). 

In fairness, re running away with it, when they scored and Pacqueta was still on pitch, I told my WH mate I was sat with that this might get tough for us and he said he almost guaranteed that there would be points in the game where West Ham fans would be nervous. Which proved right. Think the fans there are used to the team losing control of games that really they should be bossing with the players they have. 

They also all loathe Danny Ings and booed him when he came on. He had about 4 touches but all really classy - imagine he's still a very good player.

Anyway, the fans I spoke with thought we were decent, played nice football, and Max got a lot of compliments for his worldie saves.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I thought Mehmeti played more inside in the 1st half, Cam was so far up on the left he was playing as our widest attacker. With Tanner playing his usual defensive role, it was almost like a back 3 with Cam coming back to help out. 

I thought first half it was a back 3 and then we stitched back to 4 for the second half. 

• Like 1