IGNORED

Nottingham Forest home 4th round FA Cup match thread

Jerseybean

49 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Only one team really looked like wanting to win that though Forest did have a couple of moments.

It was a good performance but we need a bit more quality up top/chance creation (same issue we’ve seen in the league last few games).

Whats really frustrating is we’re a Scott and Semenyo type player(s) away from a top 6 side IMO.

Exactly what I said a few weeks ago the 2 types of player we really are short in this team to be in with a really good shout of top 6  are 2 players we sold to Bournemouth ( not guaranteed) but with Scott & semenyo we’re top 6 ,

round and round we go rinse & repeat 

• Like 7
  • Robin 1

7 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

Or maybe give Wells a start and bring Tommy on second half giving Tommy the offers it’s all up to him now. Just make it a bit less predictable. 

My preference would be Wells and Conway up front together but apparently it’s not something modern managers do? That it’s more likely going to be a lone stronger. 

2 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

I think we are a handful of signings away from being a very very good side. 

Very true, but the same applies to a lot of mid table teams. 

6 hours ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Call that chilidish....now the crayon jibes, the greusome twosome, nest eggs, nause jokes...that's childish. My gag was at least a well constructed retort. 

No, no it wasn’t, if you thought it was then perhaps stand up or any form of comedy writing is not for you. 

• Like 1

This comment from a Forest fan is a decent summary of where we’re at

Putting our shite performance aside I think it's only fair to credit Brizzle. 

They play good possession football but with progression and awareness of movement around them. You could see a few patterns both defensively and in transition to work the ball into good areas. If they could add something in the final third there's no way they will be a mid table side for long.

it was also pointed out in their forum that this was their first clean sheet since November 

Edited by luke_bristol

38 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I thought we played well enough and easily matched Forest but as many have said, we didnt have the quality where it matters.  I thought the Cuty fans were great all night and kept supporting the team, Forest fans were very quiet, I can't remember hearing a chant! 

I know we’re a really nice bunch, but I wouldn’t say we’re “cute”.

9 hours ago, cellist said:

Do you think that's where he fits back in? Sykes more of a wide player - Knight seemed quite narrow today although he did run on to a few through balls from McCrorie towards the corner.

We've changed shape since he got injured, Twine signed and McCrorie returned. Not sure how Manning will fit them all in if/when they're all fit (though with our injury record I doubt it'd be a problem for long!)

Sykes played a lot of games centrally for his previous club, so think he would fit well there. Certainly had the attributes for it and is direct.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think tbis Derby got the wrong Bristol side. 🤣

"Crumbling old ground"..not post redevelopment it ain'tScreenshot_20240127-014511_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c273581908b94d747c87a9ec2c09c3f6.jpg

3 hours ago, Chessels Chick said:

Aren't they meaning the City Ground??

Yeah , punctuation would help I think.

Plucky underdog team, away. .......... meaning Forest

Cling on for a replay at their crumbling old ground. .......... The City Ground 

Must be a Derby poster surely ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Yeah , punctuation would help I think.

Plucky underdog team, away. .......... meaning Forest

Cling on for a replay at their crumbling old ground. .......... The City Ground 

Must be a Derby poster surely ?

Yeah, it’s clear as day what the meaning is, even with the odd sentence structure. 

• Like 4

In the cold light of day, let's have a think.

Individually;
Pring, McCrorie and Vyner stand out's for me, but everyone did their job . Thought Tanner was great too, good and solid but offered a pass for McCrorie, got ahead of him and helped out.  Mehmeti was decent, but he still isn't a team player. A few times Pring overlapped into space but AM wants to take players on all the time. James was very good and TGH worked hard and some decent deliveries from set pieces . TC , with very little service, continued to make runs, press and be a nuisance . Knight's energy is amazing, not convinced that's his best position though.

The formation gives us a solid base, gives width and we look pretty good in midfield. Where we do lack is getting decent service to TC. We managed quick movement a couple of times, got behind them and the early cross ( everyone running onto it towards goal ) lead to TC putting a decent chance wide, so it can work if we do it at pace. I don't think the slower build up always suits us, we sometime look hesitant and players don't risk a ball incase they lose possession. Hopefully that will come with more familiarity with what Manning wants.
McCrorie looks like he will add a 'Pring' type balance on the right hand side, and there were good signs of a link up with Tanner. I still have doubts about Mehmeti in this system, specially when Twine comes back. Same for Knight, he gets in some good positions, but he doesn't look a natural scorer.
I'd be tempted to drop him into midfield, maybe with Williams. Twine and maybe even Cornick ( controversial ) playing as sort of two 8's. 
The good thing is we have a few options and I hope Manning looks at those. As I've said before, we have a decent squad and the basics of a good side with players fit. It needs a tweak up top , not just sign a new striker, we need to create chance first. If we were missing loads of chances, then yeah , look for another. Thing is we aren't missing loads of chances , so the problem is elsewhere . We need to get that supply line sorted and we could have a good year.

At the end , I think we may have missed our best chance last night, that's not to say we can't win, but I think it will be harder.

9 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Okays let's  be sensible here 

Is SL really Going to fund a championship ready 20 goals striker before the end of Jan ?

As Manning made pretty clear on Radio Bristol yesterday, we are trying to sign a striker and it’s not lack of funds, or the willingness to part with them, that is frustrating us.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

As Manning made pretty clear on Radio Bristol yesterday, we are trying to sign a striker and it’s not lack of funds, or the willingness to part with them, that is frustrating us.  

Okies, I did not catch the LM interview. well that sounds positive.

But I have no doubts in the Jan. window that a striker of the quality we are after Will be difficult to source and not at a sensible price .

But hey. you never now. Fingers crossed 🤞

I am starting to see something on the pitch which is gives me a feeling of optimism. But 1/2 proven championship players and the not for sale sign needs to go up on our current squad 

COYR 

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Maybe yeah. It is on their Forest thread but seems a slightly confusing/confused post.

They’re definitely referring to Forest when they say “plucky away side” and the City ground when they say “crumbling old ground” especially on a thread about Forest.

Its the sort of thing we say about the Gas when they draw away in the cup to someone like Barnet

• Like 2