IGNORED

Jason Knight

FNQ

3 hours ago, FNQ said:

This will no doubt go against the grain, but in my opinion he ain’t up to it.

In such a critical position we need better. JK has a great engine, never stops running or trying, but he’s lacking the quality that we desperately need in such a critical midfield position. If we are to move on then so does JK.  He’s the weak link when compared to Matty James, TGH, Sykesy, or Joe Williams, and even Scott Twine..

There I’ve said it..

I respect anyone's opinion on a forum - that is what they are for. To constructively agree and disagree on topics. 

HOWEVER... on this occasion, I can't disagree any further. I would even go as far as saying he is our player of the season so far. 

You are correct in identifying the critical nature of this role - but I would say his performances to date, his contribution with goals and assists have been a real stand out for the season. At times I feel his is playing a non-natural role, due to his versatility, and that may go against him.

You must also remember he is only 22 - his output based on that age is above average and in the off-season I fully expect Matty James to move on, and Knight is the perfect replacement. When Knight was dropped from the starting line-up recently, we lost our shape entirely. 

I don't know if this is a Bristol City attribute, but for some reason we seem to always feel a need for a midfield scapegoat. Thinking back - Marlon Pack and Cole Skuse fill this void, and for some fans you only realise what they offered, when they have gone.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

In a word... Nonsense.

Go against the grain... Yes it will, not just on here but against the grain of just about anyone in football.

A good player now with even better potential who we got for a bargain price.

Whether we use him correctly is another matter.

**** me. A forum is all about debate and different opinion and i respect that, but what the actual ****!!!!!! Some of the threads and posts today are insane. 

To have one now about Jason knight not being good enough! Really? Some people (thankfully not all) need to get their head out their ass, **** off and support Man City instead.

• Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

**** me. A forum is all about debate and different opinion and i respect that, but what the actual ****!!!!!! Some of the threads and posts today are insane. 

To have one now about Jason knight not being good enough! Really? Some people (thankfully not all) need to get their head out their ass, **** off and support Man City instead.

Bit harsh.. my point is that we are clearly not top 6 worthy and for us to reach those heights then we need to improve. Whilst JK’s effort and application are exemplary I personally feel that we need more quality in midfield. If things don’t change, they stay the same..

Just now, FNQ said:

Bit harsh.. my point is that we are clearly not top 6 worthy and for us to reach those heights then we need to improve. Whilst JK’s effort and application are exemplary I personally feel that we need more quality in midfield. If things don’t change, they stay the same..

Fundamentally disagree.  The midfield is fine, our problem is the quality of the two wide forwards.  I’ve seen enough of Mehmeti to think he won’t make it at this level and Bell is very much a work in progress.

A fit Sykes on the right and Tommy and Nakhi interchanging between the centre and left is worth trying and may solve the creative problem.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fuber said:

Think it comes down to squad balance.

As a whole we don't have a creative enough squad - that applies to all of Williams, James, Mehmet, Bell, among others.

Namely because we, under NP, were more interested in focusing transitions and counter attacks. Don't need creativity if the opposition are over committed.

None of them consistently have the vision or ability to thread thirty yard through ball or beat a man.

We have five players out of contract out of season allowing some changing of the guard. It's then that Tinns will need to earn his keep.

Based on the evidence this window - that's not something I have any faith is going to happen. Yet.

Who are the 5 OOC? (Sorry if this has already been asked).

13 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Sorry but you opening sentence in your firdt post says he's not up to it! You didnt say we need to improve the quality of midfield more broadly - you've focused it on him (and as per the thread title).  I dont disagree if your point is we need to improve the quality in areas across the squad IF we're to progress.

4 hours ago, FNQ said:

This will no doubt go against the grain, but in my opinion he ain’t up to it.

In such a critical position we need better. JK has a great engine, never stops running or trying, but he’s lacking the quality that we desperately need in such a critical midfield position. If we are to move on then so does JK.  He’s the weak link when compared to Matty James, TGH, Sykesy, or Joe Williams, and even Scott Twine..

There I’ve said it..

The last time I used the immortal phrase "There I've said it"-

it worked out really well for the player. Me... not so much.

47 minutes ago, Malago said:

Fundamentally disagree.  The midfield is fine, our problem is the quality of the two wide forwards.  I’ve seen enough of Mehmeti to think he won’t make it at this level and Bell is very much a work in progress.

A fit Sykes on the right and Tommy and Nakhi interchanging between the centre and left is worth trying and may solve the creative problem.

100% This.

Both show flashes of good play. But both lack serious consistency for Championship level.

Fine for squad players, but both shouldn't be starting. Hopefully Bell has time and development on his side, but Mehmeti, seems to lack the require football intelligence to make it at this level. You can see the player he wants to be, but his decision making is just terrible. Hopefully Manning and Hogg can educate him, and we see the player he has the potential to be. 

Good player , a still young leader , hungry , experienced for his age , Athlete ,  committed , sell on value 

Good Vfm 

Whats not to like .....

* Some good points on best use and absolute suitability in a NP v LM side, and definitely looks a NP player much more so than a LM player to me , and a slight concern one of our better players (IMO) and one of our better signings (IMO) in recent years may not be an ideal profile for the new man

In fact I thought BT talked about athletes and runners going back - and I don’t see that as a priority in profile of player LM would have in mind, which is all a bit strange 

I don’t need to repeat what several of you have said.  He’s had a couple of quieter games.

But watch the opening 25 mins last night again…pretty much all of our breaking the lines passes from midfield / wingbacks were received by Knight in that right hand pocket.  We didn’t get anything like that from Mehmeti (yeah, yeah, low bar).  Knight enabled us to play / break lines in the opp.final 30 yards, which is something we’ve not been able to do hardly at all in weeks.

Yep, his final ball was off.

But too much focus on goals and assists as being how a player contributes.  It’s much more than that.

• Like 1