IGNORED

Leeds United at home match thread

6 minutes ago, Jimbo76 said:

Really surprised by some of the comments on various threads tonight.

We lost 1-0 to a team that are basically a premier League team and will be again next season.

If we play well against West Ham or Forest and then have an inferior performance, it's not because we have a bad team, it's because we don't have a strong squad.

Leeds can bring players off the bench that we couldn't buy for the first team.

Key injuries plus 7 games in 3 weeks, or whatever it is, means our lack of squad depth is exposed. The likes of Williams, James, even Pring, can't play at the required intensity in so many games.

For me, it was most evident in the back 3 tonight. All 3 making so many errors despite high praise recently. Bottom line, they have to play every game because we have no choice. But the result is inevitable. 

I have no criticism of Manning or the players. Our current squad lacks the quality in depth to have sufficient rotation and to play quick succession matches at the required tempo.

This post is far too sensible. You won’t get much of a hearing on here tonight. 

6 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

They are average. We are inconsistent and lacking quality. What has changed since we ran them close at their place? We made a bog standard Leeds team look like Real Madrid tonight. I’m actually surprised by how poor this league is this year given the big clubs involved. I just can’t see a way back for Manning after tonight. 

My best friend who I drove up to ER said it was an even game, I was confused, it was 20+ shots for us, 8 on target, I think you had less than 10 shots and 1-2 on target.

You had more moments than tonight by far but once Archie Gray worked out how to play your LW it was comfortable.

2 minutes ago, SPAZZA said:

My best friend who I drove up to ER said it was an even game, I was confused, it was 20+ shots for us, 8 on target, I think you had less than 10 shots and 1-2 on target.

You had more moments than tonight by far but once Archie Gray worked out how to play your LW it was comfortable.

Proper player him, absolutely outstanding.

It was a 1-0 stuffing Spazza

Ran us ragged and we did our best to help 

• Like 1

The QPR, Sheff W and Cardiff games at the back end of February are make and break for the season it feels! 

Said at the start of the season I would be happy with a top 10 finish, obviously didn’t expect nige to go but that doesn’t change my expectations/goal for the team this season. If we win those threes hopefully we can push on in the latter stages of the season and climb back into the top half.

Would be nice to have a really good end run going into the summer and next season, usually doesn’t happen for us. 

Fair enough to Manning for admitting we weren’t good enough in every area today, no point getting overly worked up on this one. More annoyed by the Preston and millwall games personally. 

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Proper player him, absolutely outstanding.

Yeah, if we don’t go up he’ll be picked off I think for a fair sum, he’s a midfielder who’s played RB nearly all season.

Hopefully his family are on his ear and give us a year or two in the top flight before he moves on (if we get there), he’s scary good.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Jimbo76 said:

Really surprised by some of the comments on various threads tonight.

We lost 1-0 to a team that are basically a premier League team and will be again next season.

I agree to a point, and I accepted the situation a while ago (NP out, LM in).

I have tried to be balanced on LM but if we aren’t going to pick up wins against the teams around us (Millwall, Blackburn etc) then we HAVE to pick up points in home games against better teams like Leeds don’t we?

One thing that we were excellent at previously was never going more that a few games without a win. How many is that now in the league?

Edited by Kibs
  • Like 2

No doubt about it, we were really poor and totally outplayed for virtually the whole game.

For those who go on about how good Leeds are, let’s remember that other clubs outside of the top six, have beaten them or got a draw. They are a good team, but not invincible.

We gave them far too much respect, room and time, and it looked like we went into the game lacking belief and ideas. Contrast that with how pretty-average Preston applied themselves when they beat Leeds recently.

• Like 7

Leeds are a very very good side. And it’s always the case that you can only play as well as a good side like Leeds let you.

But what was disappointing tonight is that we didn’t even reach that standard. Too many players just had poor games. I reckon the whole back five had probably their worst games for ages, all on the same day.

I don’t know if it’s just the number of games catching up with us. But if so, doesn’t bode well for the next few weeks. 

6 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

One of the absolute worst posts I’ve ever read on here. A complete embarrassment of utter nonsense from start to finish.

Enjoy the game @SPAZZA - you deserve to win after putting up with that!

That was a bit uncalled for wasn’t it?

@SPAZZA Apologies for the hostility mate, it’s been a long week and I misinterpreted the tone of your post. Thanks for the explanation.

An apology from you please Chippenhamred. You’re one of the best posters on here, but there was really no need to be so offensive.

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Piss poor 

Leeds by far the better team

And can someone explain why Anis Mehmeti wears gloves when it was 12/13 degrees? 

He’s rubbish 

We would have been better taking the player off & not bringing him on.

I bet Pring is delighted to have a bloke in front of him for half an hour who thinks it’s fine to jog back when we lose the ball, put an absolutely token effort in to challenge their defender seeing the ball out for a goal kick & generally switch off whenever we are defending.

Bell has taken some stick on here but at least he puts in a shift, Mehmeti is often a complete passenger.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 6
6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

We would have been better taking the player off & not bringing him on.

I bet Pring is delighted to have a bloke in front of him for half an hour who thinks it’s fine to jog back when we lose the ball, put an absolutely token effort in to challenge their defender seeing the ball out for a goal kick & generally switch off whenever we are defending.

Bell has taken some stick on here but at least he puts in a shift, Mehmeti is often a complete passenger.

Yep reached my tipping point with Anis tonight & has had more than enough chances. Unfortunately, just not good enough is he.

• Robin 1
12 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

That was a bit uncalled for wasn’t it?

@SPAZZA Apologies for the hostility mate, it’s been a long week and I misinterpreted the tone of your post. Thanks for the explanation.

An apology from you please Chippenhamred.

No worries, most strangers to forums are *****. 👍

• Thanks 1

One thing I will say…

Where the hell do you sell coffee, walked in past the live band, inside and the length of the Dolman, nothing.

Had some Haze which I didn’t really want!

In the coffee shop next to the bar and shop. Nice coffee too!

I'll start by saying that Leeds were probably the best side I've seen this year, Played at pace moved the ball and players moved brilliantly. Then they could even go direct and they had players the width of the pitch, that could hold and move the ball and create space. Pace throughout the side , good technically and strong. 
I know we were poor, but that is the biggest chasing I've seen us get this year.

As for us, the complete opposite, wasteful , ponderous , continually giving away possession , poor touch allowing them to close , simple passes going astray in fact there are no redeeming features about tonight. The only player who I thought you could say played pretty well was Max, and even his kicking drags him back. 

With Leeds dominating so much, I'm amazed that Manning just sticks with his formation, Tommy did ok but feels wasted out wide, Knight does not look a good fit for whatever position that is and it just doesn't make enough chances for the strikers.

Sadly , I think we are stuck with this system for the time being. I hope he can start getting a consistent performance out of them soon as playing like that we will be looking over our shoulders all too soon.

• Like 2