IGNORED

CITY U18 3 v 0 BURNLEY

Appreciate some info was posted on the u21 discussion, but thought the U18s deserved their own topic, unless I’ve already missed it.

I went last night and there was a decent crowd to watch a very entertaining game.

Thought I’d give my eye witness view on our boys.

I’m no expert or coach, just an interested fan, so be kind if you decide to continue reading.

Joe Duncan goalkeeper, quite tall but slightly built in the image of Max. Saved a penalty in the last minute(and the follow up shot) to keep a clean sheet, very competent display, left footed with a kick like a mule, interestingly he often kicked high and wide to the full backs who were high up the pitch (Pring and McCrorie?).

Joseph James, first team game to his name, got beaten a couple of times by the Burnley winger who was extra quick, but didn’t have an end product. JJ stuck to his task and got forward well.

Taine Anderson, believe he has trained with the first team, tough no nonsense full back, good first touch, like JJ got forward well.

Josh Campbell-Slowey, CB, quick, decent in the air, seemed to have plenty of time when in possession.

Archie Taylor CB, not as quick as Josh but very much a front foot CB, decent distribution, good in the air, not captain but you could hear him talking a lot.

Calum Hewlett, son of Matt, which in itself tells you about his DNA, scored the first from the spot, always available for a pass, went about his work without any fuss.

Jed Meerholz, partnered Calum, midfield enforcer, puts his foot in when required, calm, good distribution, good engine.

Billy Philips, I’m not the best at formation reading, but I think he was what’s now called the 10. Quick feet, slight in stature but willing to get involved physically with bigger opponents, liked him a lot.

Raekwan Nelson, another who’s been involved at first team level, tricky and quick with a decent delivery, not easily intimidated, although Burnley tried.

Ephraim Yeboah, don’t know what to make of Ephraim, obviously NP liked him, he’s a tough little cookie, but didn’t get a lot of change out of the Burnley defence, switched positions in the second half so obviously versatile, and perhaps we’ve yet to decide his best position.

Elijah Morrison, like all good books the last bit is the best, scored two cracking goals, the first coming in from the right wing curled a left footer into the top corner, the second a right foot shot from outside the box, has been involved with the first team I believe, like Ray Nelson he is very quick and again his best position WB or wide in a midfield three remains to be seen.

Brandon Bak, Zach Ali and Henry Kasvosve had sub cameos, Bak is a big unit, traditional CF type, Ali midfielder, calm in possession, Kasvosve is another big lad who battled well and looked to be pretty quick.

Dare I say the team is very much in the image of the coach Micky Bell, tough when required but no little talent spread around the side.

Would be interested in others view (if you were there), and any corrections if I’ve got anything wrong.

A thoroughly good evening watching the future unfold.

Excellent , thankyou

Always good to hear people’s thoughts and overview of the up and coming 👍🏻 And Well done the lads - good win and no mean achievement to get to ? 1/4 finals ?

Mods ( @phantom ?)

would it be possible to consider either a ‘Age groups / Academy’ pinned thread where some of these excellent posts and overviews like @petehintonand @TomSutton and others have compiled recently about the up and coming age groups, could be added  - Always find them interesting and help fill a knowledge or understanding gap of mine , and probably many others)

Sometimes you want to go back and reread them when a name comes up or appears in first team squad and it’s not easy to relocate them (And that the effort that’s gone into them , the information , eventually gets lost and wasted as such)

Any post in any thread that gives good information , overviews , about any of the age groups could be quoted to link them at least  on the pinned thread and it would be an interesting read and source of anyone interested and an interesting read back as their careers evolve ? 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Swindon have beaten Luton, Sunderland and Manchester United in the competition.

I believe the quarter final has to be staged at the clubs first team stadium 

Hopefully. Surely would get a bit of interest from both club's fans. Swindon would like to get one up on us in some way or another.

5 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

swindon have a really strong academy. Twine potentially the strongest to come out in recent years but they’ve had many cases of 17-18 year olds moving on to a CAT 1 academy such as Southampton.

Its catchment area is huge hence why they do have many good young players for them, saying that this is the most talented age group of 18 year olds we’ve had in a long time Morrison being back is a huge bonus if you get a chance see his goals yesterday. 

Unless we were to get to the semi final which is a distinct possibility I can’t see us hosting it at AG as good as it would be although the demand to watch our 18s is rising massively with the last three YAYC games being sold out.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Good thing too, would encourage more to attend.

Edited by Natchfever

13 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I can't see any sign of that in the competition rules: https://www.thefa.com/-/media/thefacom-new/files/competitions/2023-24/fayc/rules-of-the-fa-youth-challenge-cup-2023-24.ashx

1 hour ago, Countryfile said:

Appreciate some info was posted on the u21 discussion, but thought the U18s deserved their own topic, unless I’ve already missed it.

I went last night and there was a decent crowd to watch a very entertaining game.

Thought I’d give my eye witness view on our boys.

I’m no expert or coach, just an interested fan, so be kind if you decide to continue reading.

Joe Duncan goalkeeper, quite tall but slightly built in the image of Max. Saved a penalty in the last minute(and the follow up shot) to keep a clean sheet, very competent display, left footed with a kick like a mule, interestingly he often kicked high and wide to the full backs who were high up the pitch (Pring and McCrorie?).

Joseph James, first team game to his name, got beaten a couple of times by the Burnley winger who was extra quick, but didn’t have an end product. JJ stuck to his task and got forward well.

Taine Anderson, believe he has trained with the first team, tough no nonsense full back, good first touch, like JJ got forward well.

Josh Campbell-Slowey, CB, quick, decent in the air, seemed to have plenty of time when in possession.

Archie Taylor CB, not as quick as Josh but very much a front foot CB, decent distribution, good in the air, not captain but you could hear him talking a lot.

Calum Hewlett, son of Matt, which in itself tells you about his DNA, scored the first from the spot, always available for a pass, went about his work without any fuss.

Jed Meerholz, partnered Calum, midfield enforcer, puts his foot in when required, calm, good distribution, good engine.

Billy Philips, I’m not the best at formation reading, but I think he was what’s now called the 10. Quick feet, slight in stature but willing to get involved physically with bigger opponents, liked him a lot.

Raekwan Nelson, another who’s been involved at first team level, tricky and quick with a decent delivery, not easily intimidated, although Burnley tried.

Ephraim Yeboah, don’t know what to make of Ephraim, obviously NP liked him, he’s a tough little cookie, but didn’t get a lot of change out of the Burnley defence, switched positions in the second half so obviously versatile, and perhaps we’ve yet to decide his best position.

Elijah Morrison, like all good books the last bit is the best, scored two cracking goals, the first coming in from the right wing curled a left footer into the top corner, the second a right foot shot from outside the box, has been involved with the first team I believe, like Ray Nelson he is very quick and again his best position WB or wide in a midfield three remains to be seen.

Brandon Bak, Zach Ali and Henry Kasvosve had sub cameos, Bak is a big unit, traditional CF type, Ali midfielder, calm in possession, Kasvosve is another big lad who battled well and looked to be pretty quick.

Dare I say the team is very much in the image of the coach Micky Bell, tough when required but no little talent spread around the side.

Would be interested in others view (if you were there), and any corrections if I’ve got anything wrong.

A thoroughly good evening watching the future unfold.

Great post. Tough to see Yeboah through the middle not sure that’s his best position, like you say Morrison superb which is great to see as he’s just coming back from a serious knee injury and numerous other knocks. 
Would be interested in your take on Bak I really rate him hasn’t come up in the traditional youth system I remember playing him when he was Weston Super Mare. Broke into their first team start of this season (National League South) and scored. Was soon signed up from city, you see plenty of these players get hardened through the non league system who go into thrive due to their physical nature at academy level which while more technical is typically no where near the physical level. 

Like all the team still so young but he will only grow into his frame we just have to hope he doesn’t become another Louie Britton who showed all the promise but when push came to shove didn’t have it and now applies his trade and Maldon and Tiptree after failed moves in the Irish Premier League and being moved on from Marine in his second season.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

Excellent , thankyou

Always good to hear people’s thoughts and overview of the up and coming 👍🏻 And Well done the lads - good win and no mean achievement to get to ? 1/4 finals ?

Mods ( @phantom ?)

would it be possible to consider either a ‘Age groups / Academy’ pinned thread where some of these excellent posts and overviews like @petehintonand @TomSutton and others have compiled recently about the up and coming age groups, could be added  - Always find them interesting and help fill a knowledge or understanding gap of mine , and probably many others)

Sometimes you want to go back and reread them when a name comes up or appears in first team squad and it’s not easy to relocate them (And that the effort that’s gone into them , the information , eventually gets lost and wasted as such)

Any post in any thread that gives good information , overviews , about any of the age groups could be quoted to link them at least  on the pinned thread and it would be an interesting read and source of anyone interested and an interesting read back as their careers evolve ? 

It is certainly possible, the only concern is when we had a number of pinned posts in the past people mentioned that they often missed them

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

I had some of the Burnley staff behind me and it was something they were saying.

I wasn’t listening to their conversation but I heard the odd bit and that’s what I thought they said

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TomSutton said:

Great post. Tough to see Yeboah through the middle not sure that’s his best position, like you say Morrison superb which is great to see as he’s just coming back from a serious knee injury and numerous other knocks. 
Would be interested in your take on Bak I really rate him hasn’t come up in the traditional youth system I remember playing him when he was Weston Super Mare. Broke into their first team start of this season (National League South) and scored. Was soon signed up from city, you see plenty of these players get hardened through the non league system who go into thrive due to their physical nature at academy level which while more technical is typically no where near the physical level. 

Like all the team still so young but he will only grow into his frame we just have to hope he doesn’t become another Louie Britton who showed all the promise but when push came to shove didn’t have it and now applies his trade and Maldon and Tiptree after failed moves in the Irish Premier League and being moved on from Marine in his second season.

Bak is a bit of a rough diamond, as you say he’s pretty much there already physically, unlike say Seb PH who is only now filling out, and showing some great promise.

Bak scored the winner I think in the last round with his first touch, definitely a handful in the box, only saw a bit of him last night, tried to hold the ball up and lay it off, not always successful but the bones are definitely there to work on, one worry for me would be is he getting coached by a former forward such as Jason Euell, who could give him some real one on one stuff, I think it shows that he hasn’t come through the Academy system and that would be the worry, like as you say Britton. Don’t think he is  going to get much game time now Yeboah has dropped down.

31 minutes ago, phantom said:

It is certainly possible, the only concern is when we had a number of pinned posts in the past people mentioned that they often missed them

Sure

Was just thinking it's a subject thread never out of date as it’s about the future and a little about now

without creating another sub forum where the informative posts may still get lost I was thinking more a pinned thread where , for example last nights report or a Pete Hinton or Tom Sutton type overview could be reposted / quoted or whichever on the pinned thread , either by the op or someone else seeing value in it ,for a bit of a evolving overview archive / of the up and coming age groups

And it would be interesting to look back at over the seasons to come !

Just an idea and dependent on others and of course mostly mod views

Edited by Sheltons Army

1 hour ago, TomSutton said:

this is the most talented age group of 18 year olds we’ve had in a long time Morrison being back is a huge bonus if you get a chance see his goals yesterday.

I'd love to if the club would oblige and stick them up on YouTube. Perhaps it's still a bit early and I imagine they will as they did for the previous round against Charlton. :fingerscrossed:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I had some of the Burnley staff behind me and it was something they were saying.

I wasn’t listening to their conversation but I heard the odd bit and that’s what I thought they said

Did one of them have a West Country accent and know a fair bit about Bristol City? 👀

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not it’s not me….haha 🤣🤣🤣

++++

Was the match broadcast live?

if not if ever it was worth letting the club know of the interest in the 1/4 final. 

With fifth round proper ties still to be concluded in early February, sixth round games will then be scheduled to take place before Saturday 9 March.

Edited by REDOXO

3 hours ago, TomSutton said:

swindon have a really strong academy. Twine potentially the strongest to come out in recent years but they’ve had many cases of 17-18 year olds moving on to a CAT 1 academy such as Southampton.

Its catchment area is huge hence why they do have many good young players for them, saying that this is the most talented age group of 18 year olds we’ve had in a long time Morrison being back is a huge bonus if you get a chance see his goals yesterday. 

Unless we were to get to the semi final which is a distinct possibility I can’t see us hosting it at AG as good as it would be although the demand to watch our 18s is rising massively with the last three YAYC games being sold out.

That’s very interesting & something we should definitely be keeping an eye on.

Behind the scenes Swindon are currently in a total mess, if any of their youngsters is really impressive then we should be keeping tabs.

4 hours ago, TomSutton said:

Totally agree, it's no fluke Swindon have reached the 1/4 final their u18's side is very strong. Will be a tough game and pretty sure this will be at AG.