IGNORED

CITY U18 3 v 0 BURNLEY

3 minutes ago, COYR's said:

Totally agree, it's no fluke Swindon have reached the 1/4 final their u18's side is very strong. Will be a tough game and pretty sure this will be at AG.

They have good youngsters, and have recently beat Manchester United.

3 hours ago, REDOXO said:

When is the draw?

Edit 

The draw

Leeds United v Liverpool 
2 Millwall v Crystal Palace or Chelsea
3 Manchester City or Reading v Tottenham Hotspur 
4 Bristol City v Swindon Town

Any bets on the last four?
Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester City and ?
That would be some semi final to reach.

6 hours ago, TomSutton said:

saying that this is the most talented age group of 18 year olds we’ve had in a long time

I’d say 19/20 season would have had a stronger squad. Conway, Bell, Pearson, Low, Towler etc Benarous only on the bench. 

27 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Any bets on the last four?
Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester City and ?
That would be some semi final to reach.

Never take any guesses like that on youth football, cat 1 clubs can often struggle against Cat 2 & 3 when they choose to press them high and aggressively, you often see them fall because they don’t yet have the clam head and ability to play out under the pressure like they’re instructed to. Cat 1 football is almost like a different sport to Cat 2 & 3

11 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Never take any guesses like that on youth football, cat 1 clubs can often struggle against Cat 2 & 3 when they choose to press them high and aggressively, you often see them fall because they don’t yet have the clam head and ability to play out under the pressure like they’re instructed to. Cat 1 football is almost like a different sport to Cat 2 & 3

Sorry didn’t mean to appear that I know anything about youth football, just a wild guess from a fan without your knowledge.

Mind you having a clam head can’t be an advantage can it.

(sorry couldn’t resist)

31 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I’d say 19/20 season would have had a stronger squad. Conway, Bell, Pearson, Low, Towler etc Benarous only on the bench. 

Benarous was superb too. Potentially you have a point, I must say though for an u18 squad this is the most well rounded team I remember us having. 
Kasakove at 16 has all the attributes to be special and with his frame I’m in no shock prem clubs are after him.

Could make points around the whole team (Morrison,Meerholz,Anderson etc). While that 19/20 squad did have a few real quality players the way this current crop doesn’t have one player below bar and the strength on the bench we have in the likes of Ali to come on we have so much to be positive around. 
When a lot of this team make the transition into u21 football next season I hope many take that next extra step towards to first team spot. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Having played for a Cat 2 like academy I have to agree it has that real cup final moment feel against a cat 1 or a quality cat 2 as like with us currently on paper we have a cat 1 quality academy in terms of production and talent but the cost is substantial of running it.

to my knowledge, one of the key reasons we are not Cat 1 is due to the fact that we do not have a full sized dedicated indoor training pitch.

Personally, I feel the whole Cat system is a judgement on how good the facilities are rather than the talent production as evidenced by the fact we have the most “club trained” players getting minutes for the first team despite not being a cat 1.

the lure of playing for those academies are the facilities of course and you’re sold a dream. One of those I know is at Chelsea now having played for the youth teams at city on a pro deal and the figures he earns for a teenager are frightening and in truth I don’t believe beneficial to the teens at all.

We have all been 17-18 and know how nice it is to show your mates your new clothes or shoes or bike but to have thousands of pounds pumped in (not including sponsorships too) it must take your mind off the football.

Edited by TomSutton
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, TomSutton said:

Having played for a Cat 2 like academy I have to agree it has that real cup final moment feel against a cat 1 or a quality cat 2 as like with us currently on paper we have a cat 1 quality academy in terms of production and talent but the cost is substantial of running it.

to my knowledge, one of the key reasons we are not Cat 1 is due to the fact that we do not have a full sized dedicated indoor training pitch.

Personally, I feel the whole Cat system is a judgement on how good the facilities are rather than the talent production as evidenced by the fact we have the most “club trained” players getting minutes for the first team despite not being a cat 1.

the lure of playing for those academies are the facilities of course and you’re sold a dream. One of those I know is at Chelsea now having played for the youth teams at city on a pro deal and the figures he earns for a teenager are frightening and in truth I don’t believe beneficial to the teens at all.

We have all been 17-18 and know how nice it is to show your mates your new clothes or shoes or bike but to have thousands of pounds pumped in (not including sponsorships too) it must take your mind off the football.

The reason why City aren't a Cat 1 is frankly because we don't want to be, with the building of the new training ground if we had serious plans to be Cat 1 we'd have ticked every box doing it. We feel we produce enough players the way we do. As you allude to the category of a club is only defined by facilities, staff numbers and the amount of training provided as a minimum, there's nothing to say a club with a lower category can't have all of it but just choose to be a lower category. For us we've said before being Cat 1 would mean all of our academy players having to stay in house to be competitive rather than letting players go out on loans in senior football to the likes of Yate/Bath/Yeovil which we see as the route which better helps players develop rather than being around at 20/21 still playing academy football, we also believe in pushing younger players up asap when ready, something else that could be blocked if older players were kept around just to be competitive if they had no real future at first team level. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

The reason why City aren't a Cat 1 is frankly because we don't want to be, with the building of the new training ground if we had serious plans to be Cat 1 we'd have ticked every box doing it. We feel we produce enough players the way we do. As you allude to the category of a club is only defined by facilities, staff numbers and the amount of training provided as a minimum, there's nothing to say a club with a lower category can't have all of it but just choose to be a lower category. For us we've said before being Cat 1 would mean all of our academy players having to stay in house to be competitive rather than letting players go out on loans in senior football to the likes of Yate/Bath/Yeovil which we see as the route which better helps players develop rather than being around at 20/21 still playing academy football, we also believe in pushing younger players up asap when ready, something else that could be blocked if older players were kept around just to be competitive if they had no real future at first team level. 

With the loaning of those players I didn’t realise they had to stay in house, would it not be possible to like they already do train with the relevant age group and with their respective club they are on loan and when applicable and then play for them on the Saturday?

thinking of Ted Curd who’s a Chelsea goalkeeper who was on loan at Hashtag United who’s step 3. He’s on a pro at Chelsea and would train with them when it was possible while playing regular men’s football while he was not in international duty for England u18

1 minute ago, TomSutton said:

With the loaning of those players I didn’t realise they had to stay in house, would it not be possible to like they already do train with the relevant age group and with their respective club they are on loan and when applicable and then play for them on the Saturday?

thinking of Ted Curd who’s a Chelsea goalkeeper who was on loan at Hashtag United who’s step 3. He’s on a pro at Chelsea and would train with them when it was possible while playing regular men’s football while he was not in international duty for England u18

They have such a volume of players, they can afford to keep what they need in-house.

1 minute ago, TomSutton said:

I mean it as in we wouldn’t loan anyone out at all, no loans to anyone to aid player development as we would need to retain a full strength team for our u21 side if we were cat 1 to make sure games were competitive otherwise we would be on the end of heavy defeats regularly with players not developing as well as they could. 

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I mean it as in we wouldn’t loan anyone out at all, no loans to anyone to aid player development as we would need to retain a full strength team for our u21 side if we were cat 1 to make sure games were competitive otherwise we would be on the end of heavy defeats regularly with players not developing as well as they could. 

Ah I see thanks for clarifying I thought you mean there was rules against it. Like you point to in a previous post it’s not worth the cost of it particularly for a mid table championship team like we are due to staff costs and the upgrades of facilities 

• Like 1

We applied for planning to build an indoor facility at the HPC in the early stages but it was rejected. It is a requirement if wanting to be cat 1. Had it been approved and built I still doubt we would have wanted to be a cat 1 as the cost to run the academy would rise approx fivefold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Tony Tootle said:

Good spot. Interesting that he has decided to play for Wales at that age group, although in it really considering they can switch allegiances easily. Anyone know where he's from? I assume Newport or thereabouts.

He did play for Newport as a kid

• Thanks 1