IGNORED

Great Result, but….

Davefevs

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

A huge sense of disappointment, frustration and anger about the second half performance.

No problem with a half-time sub (assume Cornick a knock), but why the change in shape from the first half where we controlled so much of the 45 mins?

They played through us, around us, behind us.  We had no answer.  CB spacing went to pot as they slid in their forwards.

To end, well done though, three points, winless run over, a big boost after a tough set of fixtures.

And chilllllllllll. 😉

Totally agree but it’s early days and he needs results so can’t blame him for that 

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 5

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

A huge sense of disappointment, frustration and anger about the second half performance.

No problem with a half-time sub (assume Cornick a knock), but why the change in shape from the first half where we controlled so much of the 45 mins?

They played through us, around us, behind us.  We had no answer.  CB spacing went to pot as they slid in their forwards.

To end, well done though, three points, winless run over, a big boost after a tough set of fixtures.

And chilllllllllll. 😉

What did they create, Max had one decent save to make? It was fine, we just needed to see the game out without expending too much energy and we did it. 

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, UncleRed said:

As I mentioned in the matchday thread. Some people think having a “good” performance is dominating the ball for 90 minutes and the opposition keeper making 10+ saves.

Not being 2-0 up away from home and defending the lead against a team who on paper, should be substantially higher than us in the league.

Theyve also had 6 days rest instead of 3, and did zero travelling since the Chelsea game.

If you thought Carrick wasn’t going to make sure they came back out after half time completely different then that’s just ignorant.

We were never going to carry on playing 433 and go end to end like we did the first half. Especially when you look at the schedule and travelling contrast between both teams.

Defending has been our reliable strength so far. I don’t think it’s stupid with the said parameters to rely on this and see if you could grind out the result.

Happy for the travelling fans.

Bang on the money 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, UncleRed said:

As I mentioned in the matchday thread. Some people think having a “good” performance is dominating the ball for 90 minutes and the opposition keeper making 10+ saves.

Not being 2-0 up away from home and defending the lead against a team who on paper, should be substantially higher than us in the league.

Theyve also had 6 days rest instead of 3, and did zero travelling since the Chelsea game.

If you thought Carrick wasn’t going to make sure they came back out after half time completely different then that’s just ignorant.

We were never going to carry on playing 433 and go end to end like we did the first half. Especially when you look at the schedule and travelling contrast between both teams.

Defending has been our reliable strength so far. I don’t think it’s stupid with the said parameters to rely on this and see if you could grind out the result.

Happy for the travelling fans.

Still we are often more compact and cohesive with a 4-3-3. Not just in terms of dominant and or flowing football either.

This could be a building block however.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And chilllllllllll. 😉

That’s a fair point if we’d had six days to prepare like Boro and not 120 minutes on Wednesday. But we looked shattered in the second half. Rob Dickie was knackered. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Malago said:

Yes,  the way we played in the 2nd half you’d have thought we had played 120 mins against a Premier leagues team less than 3 days ago.

That’s not the point.  We were a cohesive unit 1st half, we were a mess 2nd.  The system change a huge part of that.  It’s not like we even just sat in and played on the counter, we didn’t even do that.

9 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

What did they create, Max had one decent save to make? It was fine, we just needed to see the game out without expending too much energy and we did it. 

Really?  It’s just about keeper saves, it’s the chances they created and missed. How about the 1v1 or the unorthodox punch off a defkection…which one you not counting, plus the desperate defending in our six yard box.

If we can praise the first half, we can critique what was almost a costly second half.

Chasing the ball knackers you!  We had 24% possession second half.

• Like 12
  • Flames 2
  • Facepalm 7

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

Fast getting to the point where I throw something at the TV when LM reverts to three at the back. How much evidence does he need to see it doesn't suit these players? Gotta take on board what's staring us all in the face eventually I hope.

I was all but shouting at the radio when we switched it up in midweek.

It feels like the wrong shape at the wrong time in most circumstances atm.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Anger 🤣🤣🤣

Its not anger is it, we are all happy with the result but I question why the change at half time..

If Boro had scored mid second half we would have been in trouble and that would have been down to the half time change in tactics.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Just now, joe jordans teeth said:

Would we gone for the throat when Pearson was in charge from the start,as someone who thought he was harshly treated I honestly don’t think he would of,then for people to criticise because after doing that and getting yourself in front and protecting is a bit strange 

We did at times, it varied under NP.

A succession of games in which we started fast..or a range.

Swansea, West Brom, Plymouth, Stoke.

Mixed results and the 2nd was a 0-0 but we came out with a strong tempo- Stoke game we kinda screwed ourselves.

He's experimenting. We are at that point in the season.

Trying different things in each half v the same side.

Seeing truly what works and what doesn't. What players can do, what they can't. Who he has in his plans who he doesn't.

It's a super long pre season, ready to hit the ground running.

I don't think we'll see a back 3 in any game until we are 2 up, allowing us to work on it while ahead.

And yes, I'm joking

• Haha 1

Both Cam and Dickie picked up knocks in the first half, I would imagine he wanted to take the pressure off the defence. we dominated in attack in the first half and did the same defensively in the 2nd. 

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Manning "the plan worked well first half" 

So why did we change that plan then? 

Has he said yet, or did you not bother waiting to hear before posting? Having to defend himself after a win now, for ***** sake. 

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Both Cam and Dickie picked up knocks in the first half, I would imagine he wanted to take the pressure off the defence. we dominated in attack in the first half and did the same defensively in the 2nd. 

Has he said yet, or did you not bother waiting to hear before posting?

Did you not notice the quotation marks? 

• Like 1