IGNORED

Great Result, but….

Davefevs

25 minutes ago, UncleRed said:

If you thought Carrick wasn’t going to make sure they came back out after half time completely different then that’s just ignorant.

No, imho it feels more ignorant for fans to give Carrick credit and not critique Manning in some measure???  No?

• Flames 1

I didn’t see the game so am following the subject of the change in formation and the second half with interest

But , in his interview he’s just given in RB he didn’t explain it , said how effective we were and how well we excecuted the plan in the first half, suggested Cornick was knackered hence the sub , didn’t explain why he went to a 5 but ‘you are always going to come under pressure’ , and thought it worked well in the second half 

So I’m still none the wiser why he actually changed  

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Just now, Port Said Red said:

What about them? HAS HE SAID WHY HE CHANGED THE PLAN IN THE SECOND HALF? 

He made it right off the bat, not in response to Carrick - e.g. it’s not like v Preston, where Lowe made a host of changes and we were slow to cotton on.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, imho it feels more ignorant for fans to give Carrick credit and not critique Manning in some measure???  No?

Give Carrick credit? I don’t see where I’ve given Carrick credit. He got out coached today in my opinion.

LM set up to hit them early whilst we had the energy in the legs, then sit back when the fatigue kicked in.

So you’d be right in saying no Dave.

Edited by UncleRed
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, UncleRed said:

Give Carrick credit? I don’t see where I’ve given Carrick credit. He got out out coached today in my opinion.

LM set up to hit them early whilst we had the energy in the legs, then sit back when the fatigue kicked in.

Sitting back probably uses more energy tbh. Both physically and mentally. 

• Like 1

Just now, UncleRed said:

Give Carrick credit? I don’t see where I’ve given Carrick credit. He got out out coached today in my opinion.

Fatigued or not, we played badly second half…that is the point of the thread.

Can we not critique the team and the Head Coach’s tactics?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

They never ask him. 

Having listened to his interview I am no clearer as to why Cornick got taken off or why we changed shape. 

It was all a bit woolly and as you say a poor interview 

I didn’t see the game , so difficult to comment , and difficult not having seen , other than others descriptions , exactly what transpired

But all I’d say - the overall subject of in game management / tactically is actually an important one (For any Head Coach / Manager - not just LM)

One of several key skill areas which will dictate how successful you are

Fwiw  And overall what I’ve seen , In game adaptability and tactical tweaks is a bit of a concern for me 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s not the point.  We were a cohesive unit 1st half, we were a mess 2nd.  The system change a huge part of that.  It’s not like we even just sat in and played on the counter, we didn’t even do that.

There was clearly a case for using our subs well given the likely player fatigue but that didn't require a switch to a back 3 and surrendering the initiative. Especially as the first half was probably the best we have played under Liam.

It always puzzles me when coaches decide to sit on a lead for an entire half but Liam is obviously keen on a back 3 and I assume we will see a lot more of it. I'm not convinced it suits our players but time will tell.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Sitting back probably uses more energy tbh. Both physically and mentally. 

You played football before? If so what type of football because that is baffling.

Having experience in doing so at any level you’d realise that.

Not like this is the first time in history a football team on Earth has sat back because they’re tired, and winning btw.

• Like 3

Someone urinate on your cornflakes this morning @Davefevs

I realise you study the game more than most of us. And I really do appreciate some of your insights that can be difficult to miss, can find some of them really interesting. But, I think that second half performance can be put down to something a lot more simpler than formations etc. The simple fact we played 120 minutes 2 and a half days ago, while they hadn't played for a week. Makes such more of a difference in today's game.

• Like 12
  • Flames 4

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Played badly how so? Not having a threat going forward? Obviously.

But the whole 11 played well in defending a two goal lead and making sure we got over the edge. Would of been a clean sheet if there wasn’t an unfortunate deflection.

More of that effort please lads.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UncleRed said:

You played football before? If so what type of football because that is baffling.

Having experience in doing so at any level you’d realise that.

Not like this is the first time in history a football team on Earth has sat back because they’re tired, and winning btw.

Yea mate I have, have you? Doesn't seem like you have. 

Constantly defending for very long periods is both physically and mentally exhausting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Manning "the plan worked well first half" 

So why did we change that plan then? 

Maybe, and this is just a hunch, Middlesboro are a decent side and Carrick gave his players a rocket at half time and they improved in the 2nd half?

I would guess that Manning was worried about players tiring after the tough schedule we have had recently and so changed shape to make us more solid. In hindsight, it didn't necessarily have the desired effect, but as per my first paragraph, Boro were always going to come out firing in the 2nd half, regardless of what formation we deployed.

Lets just enjoy the win 😀

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We didn't play badly, we defended well. We just showed a different aspect to our game

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm just wondering why you've called me out on me having an issue with us changing shape, but you've not called anyone else out. 

Says a lot that. 

Because every thread going you criticise Manning. I'd you don't like it ignore it?

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Yea mate I have, have you? Doesn't seem like you have. 

Constantly defending for very long periods is both physically and mentally exhausting.

Playing football is tiring in general I think, but not having to sit on the half way line and do 40-50 yard doggies is substantially energy saving. Clearly doesn’t seem like you have.

16 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

That was well into his reign though 

It is much the same players.

Anyway I can't be bothered for a long back and forth on history of managers. I'm happy we won finally, credit to Manning for the team selection in particular, 2nd half we'll all have our own views on, pros and cons etc.

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

A huge sense of disappointment, frustration and anger about the second half performance.

No problem with a half-time sub (assume Cornick a knock), but why the change in shape from the first half where we controlled so much of the 45 mins?

They played through us, around us, behind us.  We had no answer.  CB spacing went to pot as they slid in their forwards.

To end, well done though, three points, winless run over, a big boost after a tough set of fixtures.

And chilllllllllll. 😉

I get you, but I think you're missing the fact he's put out a weaker 11 today (forced) it certainly wouldn't have been my pick, it's worked out and he's though great, changed to the formation that was effective against Forrest and balls up the second half.

I think we had some seriously leggy players today, and they've done exceptionally well to get the win away from home, it's mental to think they, got back at 2am Thursday did recovery stretching and prep for this game Thursday afternoon most likely, then traveled up to Boro Friday and then got this result.

They all deserve a nice rest Monday with a nice sports massage.

Edited by Lorenzos Only Goal
  • Like 11
  • Flames 1