IGNORED

A 90 Minute Performance!

Silvio Dante

I thought the same. I've seen that opening 45m where we go in the best team a few times, only for us to lose the impetus in the second half.

Not tonight, we topped it and managed the game brilliantly. An outstanding 90m, a huge well earnt credit to all involved.

• Like 6

Absolutely brilliant, I really feel it’s all starting to click, he’s exaggerated the style at the start and you can see him taking it back now. The players have clearly bought into it. We are really starting to look like a proper good side. 
I really like LM and I like what he’s doing, it’s not always going to be exciting and some weeks it will be a bit boring but it’s effective. 

On the theme, it was interesting to listen to Radio Bristol post match where LM opined that we’d been up to the standard in 45 minutes or 60 minutes in games (other than Leeds) but that was indeed a first time where we’d done it the whole game. He did reference James in the post match as well in terms of speaking to the side and saying similar - I wonder if he’s viewing James as more integral dressing room wise and thinking it may be a very good idea to retain him.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

On the theme, it was interesting to listen to Radio Bristol post match where LM opined that we’d been up to the standard in 45 minutes or 60 minutes in games (other than Leeds) but that was indeed a first time where we’d done it the whole game. He did reference James in the post match as well in terms of speaking to the side and saying similar - I wonder if he’s viewing James as more integral dressing room wise and thinking it may be a very good idea to retain him.

With Bird coming in (Scored again tonight 👍) And if we are serious about giving it a go next season , personally Od be looking to retain Joe and Matty 

Midfield sorted with breathing space for injuries and for rotation 

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

With Bird coming in (Scored again tonight 👍) And if we are serious about giving it a go next season , personally Od be looking to retain Joe and Matty 

Midfield sorted with breathing space for injuries and for rotation 

You’d think so wouldn’t you?

The more I think on tonight and how it was a shape we were comfortable with and therefore it’s one you refine to get the best chance of success, it says to me that the (again, without getting hung up on formations) 4-2-1-3 as played is our way forward. Every good side needs two players per position. If we renew James and Williams, and even disregarding Naismith/assuming no academy come through then you’d have the following for the “2”

TGH/James/Williams/Bird

I think that looks decent at this level. The “1” is then covered by Knight - possibly Stokes depending on development as backup.

I keep coming back to - would we sign James or Williams if they didn’t play for us. I would, and I think they fit in the formation we play best.

For me , everything good about Manning’s style of football combined with everything good about Pearsons was on display tonight  ! It was a hybrid performance . I think that Manning’s style has massively improved the technical ability of the players . Our passing is so much sharper now .  Add into the mix , excellent counter attacking football that we haven’t seen much of since Nige left and you have a squad that have clearly learned masses from BOTH of this seasons coaches and tonight put it all together . 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

You’d think so wouldn’t you?

The more I think on tonight and how it was a shape we were comfortable with and therefore it’s one you refine to get the best chance of success, it says to me that the (again, without getting hung up on formations) 4-2-1-3 as played is our way forward. Every good side needs two players per position. If we renew James and Williams, and even disregarding Naismith/assuming no academy come through then you’d have the following for the “2”

TGH/James/Williams/Bird

I think that looks decent at this level. The “1” is then covered by Knight - possibly Stokes depending on development as backup.

I keep coming back to - would we sign James or Williams if they didn’t play for us. I would, and I think they fit in the formation we play best.

You could argue on tonight’s performance and the players you and Shelts mentioned that you don’t need Twine / no10.

I honestly don’t think Twine could do what Knight did tonight with Conway in leading the press / block.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You could argue on tonight’s performance and the players you and Shelts mentioned that you don’t need Twine / no10.

I honestly don’t think Twine could do what Knight did tonight with Conway in leading the press / block.

Inclined to agree Dave albeit vs those deeper lying more frustrating opponents at AG, Twine could be very useful IMO.

Nice problem to have at the least.

Have had a few celebratory jars after the game as a hangover is always ok when it’s worth it on a school night.   What an absolutely superb performance.  Incredible. Knew it was there from the FA cup games but tonight it came to fruition.     More more more of the same please.  Up the ******* City.  Onwards! 

PS please can we give James a new deal. 

Edited by lenred

6 minutes ago, lenred said:

Have had a few celebratory jars after the game as a hangover is always ok when it’s worth it on a school night.   What an absolutely superb performance.  Incredible. Knew it was there from the FA cup games but tonight it came to fruition.     More more more of the same please.  Up the ******* City.  Onwards! 

Seconded. Williams too IMO.

Quick browse of the Championship As It Happened says it all.

Screenshot_20240214-011859_Chrome.thumb.jpg.44af6eb73c70c266f3d7cdb3311153e1.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Seconded. Williams too IMO.

Quick browse of the Championship As It Happened says it all.

Screenshot_20240214-011859_Chrome.thumb.jpg.44af6eb73c70c266f3d7cdb3311153e1.jpg

Very much so.  Absolutely outstanding once again - as good as he was against Forest.  And that was very very good. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lenred said:

PS - it’s half-term! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I agree with this against Southamptton and would always start Knight against better teams.

If you come back and say something similar against QPR, Sheff Wed etc etc , teams we should be creating chances against then we will most definitely be in the play off race. Won't hold my breath though.

• Like 1

A lot said about how quiet the crowd was tonight at certain times but I honestly thought it was down to the compelling nature of the match ( very cat & mouse first half ) then when the goals came you could hear the noise levels rise dramatically. Nothing to do with poor atmosphere just a compelling watch 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

Our win at Watford this season was up there too.

As noted on another thread.  These are our two best performances of the season and the two that least resemble "Manning-ball".  The only thing we can hope is that he now recognises what works and fine-tunes that.

• Like 1

Just now, Steve Watts said:

As noted on another thread.  These are our two best performances of the season and the two that least resemble "Manning-ball".  The only thing we can hope is that he now recognises what works and fine-tunes that.

He was the Head coach so it must be Manning-ball 😉