IGNORED

West Brom away tickets

Tony Tootle

6 minutes ago, Tony Tootle said:

From the OS - 'We have received the full allocation of 2009 tickets.'

West Bromwich Albion away set for priority sale - Bristol City FC (bcfc.co.uk)

What a pathetic allocation! I'm sure we've had at least 1k more in the past.

The capacity is 26,850 so max should be around 2685.

If they take off segregation and allow for the concourse sharing, it doesn't seem far short of a max allocation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

The capacity is 26,850 so max should be around 2685.

If they take off segregation and allow for the concourse sharing, it doesn't seem far short of a max allocation.

Fair enough. Have they reduced their capacity because I am sure I have been there before (excluding the FA Cup) and we've had more than that. It's just a bit of shame for what is our 2nd closest away game that's all the will be available.

6 minutes ago, Tony Tootle said:

Fair enough. Have they reduced their capacity because I am sure I have been there before (excluding the FA Cup) and we've had more than that. It's just a bit of shame for what is our 2nd closest away game that's all the will be available.

You're probably correct.

This site says 3k is the normal allocation;

https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/premier-league/the-hawthorns-west-bromwich-albion.html

21 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Exactly this, 2,000 is pathetic 

May not be the best of platforms but @phantom is there any chance that some sort of reciprocal allocation be it ratio or absolute numbers within EFL regs of course, could be raised at a future Club and Trust Meeting?

Ideally not 18 months hence but relatively soon.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

May not be the best of platforms but @phantom is there any chance that some sort of reciprocal allocation be it ratio or absolute numbers within EFL regs of course, could be raised at a future Club and Trust Meeting?

I know from a previous question asked that the club wouldn't look to restrict potential income by limiting an away allocation

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don’t think the club are going to do themselves out of the money generated from alcohol and food sales and consider tit for tat ticket allocations 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, phantom said:

I know from a previous question asked that the club wouldn't look to restrict potential income by limiting an away allocation

1 minute ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I don’t think the club are going to do themselves out of the money generated from alcohol and food sales and consider tit for tat ticket allocations 

Thanks for checking and clarifying.

It does seem a pisstake. We're too hospitable but there is not much we can do it seems while the club are in some ways, Penny Wise and Pound Foolish.

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Anecdotally I know the club said they made more money from Coventry (including tickets, food, drink etc), that was made at the Bristol Vs Leicester rugby match

Never going to turn away paying customers, especially when so many of ours that have a seat fail to attend

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks for checking and clarifying.

It does seem a pisstake. We're too hospitable but there is not much we can do it seems while the club are in some ways, Penny Wise and Pound Foolish.

True, but in this instance it shows us in a better light and poor from WBA

But then I guess we are not the only side to be hit with this at The Hawthorns this season

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Anecdotally I know the club said they made more money from Coventry (including tickets, food, drink etc), that was made at the Bristol Vs Leicester rugby match

Never going to turn away paying customers, especially when so many of ours that have a seat fail to attend

But then I guess we are not the only side to be hit with this at The Hawthorns this season

Yes, I doubt they’d have allowed as many Wolves fans unless they had to.

24 minutes ago, phantom said:

Let's for arguments sake extrapolate out £30 average ticket price for away. So far there are only two sides who fit the category AFAIK. Some other clubs have a lesser capacity so that is less of a major issue.

WBA got 3.4k? Call it 2.1k..£39k down plus whatever spent on beer, food, soft drinks etc.

However does it yield a potential saving on outlets and stewarding? Maybe even a bit less policing.

Alternatively you could segregate and open up a chunk of the Atyeo for specific matches with a limited allocation. Which would offset some albeit would also bring about some new costs.

Plus of course the intangible benefits for the team on the pitch.

If that happened a few times a season a cost would exist but not a huge one in the context of a last season £36m Group Income.

Birmingham got 3k iirc..call it again 2k, £30k plus whatever with away food and drink less any cost savings.

For want of a better term it feels like we are mugs to some extent.

A whole end, playing towards and away fans tend to be more likely to stand etc on average. .what a joy. That said it didn't harm us on Tuesday. ;)

How did Southampton allocate us, did they restrict us unduly or was it fair?

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

For want of a better term it feels like we are mugs to some extent.

A whole end, playing towards and away fans tend to be more likely to stand etc on average. .what a joy. That said it didn't harm us on Tuesday. ;)

How did Southampton allocate us, did they restrict us unduly or was it fair?

There’s maybe a case for being careful about restricting other teams allocations due to what they allocated us.

It’s slightly different but we didn’t sell near to our allocation at Coventry so there’s a risk they might give us less next time and open up more for their own fans.

There are often various reasons why allocations are given in the numbers they are.

I’m sure other clubs are no different to us in wanting to make as much money as possible from the optimum number of away fans they can get for a fixture.

• Hmmm 1

6 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

There’s maybe a case for being careful about restricting other teams allocations due to what they allocated us.

It’s slightly different but we didn’t sell near to our allocation at Coventry so there’s a risk they might give us less next time and open up more for their own fans.

There are often various reasons why allocations are given in the numbers they are.

I’m sure other clubs are no different to us in wanting to make as much money as possible from the optimum number of away fans they can get for a fixture.

Agree to some level.

I read Birmingham allocate 2k to away sides. It could be a capacity thing but it could also be a new policy as is permitted by EFL Regs.

I have less of an issue with the Coventry thing so far, we didn't sell out anyway for a few reasons. We would however IMO have sold 3k or above at Birmingham and West Brom.

Mugs, I stand by it to some degree.

Do you think it can give a notable advantage to a visiting side? I'd say so..you want them as far from the pitch and as low a number as possible.

West Brom’s finances are tight at present so I would expect this is primarily an economic decision. Either they’re confident of selling the extra 1,000 tickets to home fans (where there might some uncertainty on their side as to whether we’d sell a full 3,000 allocation) or their policing and stewarding bill might be lower if there are fewer away fans. 

• Like 1

I didn't realise the Hawthorns is the smallest ground in the Championship , according to the Cardiff site  (and I have the year right ) . Anyway , looking around it seems 2009 is a usual allocation for visiting teams , so we can't complain too much. Though I agree , I would match them for tickets when they come to the Gate.

9 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I didn't realise the Hawthorns is the smallest ground in the Championship , according to the Cardiff site  (and I have the year right ) . Anyway , looking around it seems 2009 is a usual allocation for visiting teams , so we can't complain too much. Though I agree , I would match them for tickets when they come to the Gate.

Smallest? Rotherham, QPR, Plymouth, Preston, Watford, Millwall. Swansea all smaller - have I misunderstood?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

26,850 apparently the capacity.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, hollydog said:

Smallest? Rotherham, QPR, Plymouth, Preston, Watford, Millwall. Swansea all smaller - have I misunderstood?

Probably not, I couldn't see a date on the article so assumed it was current.

Forget what I said, misread the article anyway. 

What a ****T

Edited by 1960maaan

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It is a pisstake that the club continue to give an advantage especially to away sides who can clearly give more and or don't give us a fair and healthy allocation.

Do you think it’s really that much of an advantage ?

I may be wrong but I bet the players see the benefit in their wage packet from increased revenue as being more important than the extra bit of noise the extra away fans make.

If other clubs aren’t as generous with their ticket allocations then so be it.

But we clearly see the financial benefit as more important.

9 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Do you think it’s really that much of an advantage ?

I may be wrong but I bet the players see the benefit in their wage packet from increased revenue as being more important than the extra bit of noise the extra away fans make.

If other clubs aren’t as generous with their ticket allocations then so be it.

But we clearly see the financial benefit as more important.

I'd say so yeah.

Sorry crowds, fans can lift teams..seen it many times at AG and away grounds. The two can feed off each other, absolutely it is and can be an advantage.

Less decisive perhaps now than in the past of course, but the hierarchy have done a lot to dampen our atmosphere IMO. Good stuff that happens often is despite the hierarchy..absolutely it does and can make a difference yeah.

Though I wasn't there I watched it on TV in 2018 and one that always sticks in the mind was Leeds away 2018. 2-0 and cruising, fans on their back. Some random incident set their crowd off and we wilted somewhat. This was a midtable, drifting pre Bielsa Leeds.

From the away angle playing towards a big mass or your own fans for 45 mins  having the opposition facing a stand dull of them even at home.. away fans on average are noisier than home, more likely to stand etc.

Interested in your counterview and experiences as to why it isn't the case.