IGNORED

West Brom away tickets

Tony Tootle

Personally I think it is the level of away support throughout the leagues that make English Football special. I like a good away crowd for the atmosphere that that provokes the home crowd to respond to. Should the away crowd shout loud and proud , then I feel we should not try and restrict them, but rather respond to them. We do , quite simply have the numbers.

Who needs a library…….

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd say so yeah.

Sorry crowds, fans can lift teams..seen it many times at AG and away grounds. The two can feed off each other, absolutely it is and can be an advantage.

Less decisive perhaps now than in the past of course, but the hierarchy have done a lot to dampen our atmosphere IMO. Good stuff that happens often is despite the hierarchy..absolutely it does and can make a difference yeah.

Though I wasn't there I watched it on TV in 2018 and one that always sticks in the mind was Leeds away 2018. 2-0 and cruising, fans on their back. Some random incident set their crowd off and we wilted somewhat. This was a midtable, drifting pre Bielsa Leeds.

From the away angle playing towards a big mass or your own fans for 45 mins  having the opposition facing a stand dull of them even at home.. away fans on average are noisier than home, more likely to stand etc.

Interested in your counterview and experiences as to why it isn't the case.

I was just interested in your thoughts, don’t have a counter argument.

I’ve never really thought to deeply about away allocations from either ours or the away teams perspective.

I’m afraid football is just a business nowadays so I’d imagine that all clubs would wish to maximise the attendances at their matches and that would include away allocations.

I’d imagine players would rather play in a ground where there is a heightened atmosphere, I would have thought they would have found it pretty flat and boring during the covid days.

7 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I’ve never really thought to deeply about away allocations from either ours or the away teams perspective.

I’m afraid football is just a business nowadays so I’d imagine that all clubs would wish to maximise the attendances at their matches and that would include away allocations.

I’d imagine players would rather play in a ground where there is a heightened atmosphere, I would have thought they would have found it pretty flat and boring during the covid days.

I don't like the Away fans getting the run of the ground and their noise drowning out ours, albeit at a lot of grounds Away fans tend to drown out Home these days for a range of reasons.

Well yes they can thrive off the atmosphere but if the Away drown out the Home, then it is arguable that the Away side will thrive off it more.

This isn't a criticism of the Home fans or Safe Standing area but the location is terrible, the size is too small and it feels like the club do a lot to try and dampen down our atmosphere.

Football is quite a partisan, tribal game or has been and it just feels like the Club are getting the balance wrong- some things are National or League wide and beyond our control.

WBA 2k, Birmingham 2k..sounds like some clubs are perhaps putting cash behind Home Advantage to an extent.

I would have to look at a host of clubs and their capacities. Some will be money based, some will be SAG imposed, some will be striving for Home Advantage, some a mix of all.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We got 2kish at Birmingham iirc.

Let's give WBA around 2,009 next year if they play us and let's give Birmingham 2kish.

Yep. Leeds do reciprocal pricing, time for us to do reciprocal allocations. 

If they want 3.5k at Ashton Gate then they should give us 3.5k. Simple really. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

You may also be interested in this thread, @Back of the Dolman

I firmly believe it makes a positive difference. Maybe I'm wrong or outdated.

5 hours ago, North London Red said:

West Brom’s finances are tight at present so I would expect this is primarily an economic decision. Either they’re confident of selling the extra 1,000 tickets to home fans (where there might some uncertainty on their side as to whether we’d sell a full 3,000 allocation) or their policing and stewarding bill might be lower if there are fewer away fans. 

Very doubtful as their average attendance is only about 70 more than ours and 3,000 under capacity.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You may also be interested in this thread, @Back of the Dolman

I firmly believe it makes a positive difference. Maybe I'm wrong or outdated.

Russell Martin made some interesting comments regarding the positive impact of the atmosphere on Tuesday evening. 

“The atmosphere here was really good, you see the crowd are really with their team...We felt the energy might go at some point and I think it was on the verge of that when we had the chance, and they made a mistake but then we allow them to score pretty soon after that and, of course, the energy changes. Then they get the second and the energy of the whole place completely changed and then that’s difficult“.

I think that the crowd really can make a difference on the pitch.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tony Tootle said:

Russell Martin made some interesting comments regarding the positive impact of the atmosphere on Tuesday evening. 

“The atmosphere here was really good, you see the crowd are really with their team...We felt the energy might go at some point and I think it was on the verge of that when we had the chance, and they made a mistake but then we allow them to score pretty soon after that and, of course, the energy changes. Then they get the second and the energy of the whole place completely changed and then that’s difficult“.

I think that the crowd really can make a difference on the pitch.

Bilic said similar about it last season just before the International break, when we played game after the Lincoln collapse, we were unexpectedly good and spirited v Watford.

That's a game that sticks in the mind for me as it was relatively low expectations, yet the crowd and the team fed off each other somewhat. The two grew together as the game went on.Screenshot_20240216-113619_Chrome.thumb.jpg.194c9869be54bd91641a6d36b590e2b8.jpgScreenshot_20240216-113703_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1c93632c57d374f93c2233f8fce5565c.jpg

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

20 hours ago, phantom said:

I know from a previous question asked that the club wouldn't look to restrict potential income by limiting an away allocation

Atyeo half full of City fans with unreserved seating might help the club which seems happy to afford away sides any advantage going.

2 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Atyeo half full of City fans with unreserved seating might help the club which seems happy to afford away sides any advantage going.

Wonder what % would need to go to segregation.

I don't disagree with this btw Natch, just trying to think how it works logistically. EFL Regs stipulate 10% capacity or 2k whichever is lower can go to away sides.

2-2.1k, Segregation then the rest for Home POTD or transfer for selected games. Certainly vs clubs who shortchange us (and likely other sides) when they have the capacity to give more.

The other bit I've never fully got, the Atyeo when it was purely a Home stand held around 4.2k iirc. Now it is 3.4k..unreserved seating could play a role but it doesn't fully stack.

Could be a moveable feast, club gives us 10% we give 10%, club keeps us to 2k when their ground holds similar or more than us we do likewise, club gives us 3k..etc.

• Like 1