IGNORED

Andi Brehme Dies

Silvio Dante

Realise this may come up in the “dead of 2024” thread on the general forum but this one is a bit of a shock. For a lot of us, Italia 90 was a real moment and the German team are as fresh in the mind as the England team - players like Klinsmann, Voller and particularly Matthaus (in my best team ever).

Brehme was huge in there and the best left back in the world at that time. For the three Dutchman at AC Milan, read the three Germans at Inter for who underpinned the best teams in the world.

Just one that makes you realise how long ago that summer was, and seems way too young. How can players from the era of Barnes, Lineker etc be leaving us already?

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Realise this may come up in the “dead of 2024” thread on the general forum but this one is a bit of a shock. For a lot of us, Italia 90 was a real moment and the German team are as fresh in the mind as the England team - players like Klinsmann, Voller and particularly Matthaus (in my best team ever).

Brehme was huge in there and the best left back in the world at that time. For the three Dutchman at AC Milan, read the three Germans at Inter for who underpinned the best teams in the world.

Just one that makes you realise how long ago that summer was, and seems way too young. How can players from the era of Barnes, Lineker etc be leaving us already?

Agreed , no age and a bit of a shock

I was lucky enough to be in the Olympic Stadium that evening to watch him stroke home the winner after the Argentinians had , not unusually , disgraced themselves.

I still occasionally play Championship Manager 93/94 because I found the gameplay became overly complicated and slow on later versions so that they ended up going to charity shops.

At the youngest end you have Nicky Butt, now about fifty, and at the older end Ray Wilkins, Alvin Martin and Peter Shilton.

City's older players include Gary Shelton and Mark Aizlewood.

Whilst I can't name even one player from most Premiership teams these days, I can give most of the squad from that time for some teams.

City from memory:

G - Welch, Leaning 

D - Osman, Llewellyn, Scott, Bryant, Tinnion (central defender in that version), Thompson, Harrison, Shail, Atteveld.

M: Shelton, Aizlewood, Martin, Pennyfather, Robinson

A: Dziekanowski, Rosenoir, Morgan, Bent, Baird, McIntyre

Looking up the ones I missed:

Munro, Gavin, Allison.

Of those I have had Bent playing for England several times, and once or twice Bryant made the squad.

When I first got into football, aged 8 or so, I tended to have clubs and footballers are really liked and followed the progress of for wholly spurious reasons - I think probably because I liked the names. I was excited about Plymouth Argyle and Sheffield Wednesday because they had unusual names and there were multiple players I followed the career of, one of which was Brehme - which is not that surprising given Italia '90 was the first major tournament I remember. Feels really sad and shocking for someone who felt such a  part of my initiation into football to have suddenly gone. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I had about 10 Brehme swapsies I remember! 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Left footed, scored the winning goal in a World Cup with his right foot! RIP

I’m surprised barely anyone that I’ve seen - here, on the news outlets, social media etc - is mentioning he scored the free kick against us in the semi as well (with the Parker ‘assist’).  I remember him a lot more for that sad moment as a young nipper than I do the final! 

Fantastic player and so young.  RIP Andreas.