IGNORED

Attendances this past season

What ever you think of the season just finished , and it has been a strange mixed bag IMO , the fans/supporters have seen something. Across the board we have seen increased following , not sure I can put my finger on why, but that is good news. 
The numbers may not be massive , the home ones are reaching our max anyway , but an average rise of nearly 300 for away games shows more are doing the longer trips as the close ones sell out anyway. I wonder if the trend will continue next year, if it does it will surely mean a good season.

Thought I'd share as I found it interesting . 

Screenshot2024-05-06at08_08_23.png.43db37ca92c35d19ae8cb512c51c94a1.png

Screenshot2024-05-06at08_07_41.png.7de55d5f3eaf287d33ca38011e7af671.png

Screenshot2024-05-06at08_07_13.png.120ca78cbe37231957386110344adf7f.png

Screenshot2024-05-06at08_09_19.png.5c7a585a1ef37a514e502df1e143d9e8.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Robin 2

Can only put it down to the gentrification of the club, the amount of what I would describe as middle class families at games is off the scale when compared to before.

Our support is phenomenal, I know plenty like to moan about it on here (“typical Bristol apathy” is one phrase) but this shows that to be utter bollocks. Away support much better than you would believe if you lurked on here, too.

As an aside what a small club Swansea are, huge catchment area but poor away following & their home crowds nothing to crow about either.

As fans i don’t think this bunch have been questioned in their attitude either which goes a long way with fans. They may not always be quite good enough but they generally can’t be accused of not trying which can’t be said of some players in the past. 

• Like 1

Is the average home support inclusive or exclusive of away fans as their attendance can be a real moveable feast dependant on allocation, timing of fixture, their form etc. I realise though it can only be a reasonable reflection as ST holders are counted whether they attend or not (and I missed a few this year due to ill health, now happily resolved). 

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

What ever you think of the season just finished , and it has been a strange mixed bag IMO , the fans/supporters have seen something. Across the board we have seen increased following , not sure I can put my finger on why, but that is good news. 
The numbers may not be massive , the home ones are reaching our max anyway , but an average rise of nearly 300 for away games shows more are doing the longer trips as the close ones sell out anyway. I wonder if the trend will continue next year, if it does it will surely mean a good season.

Thought I'd share as I found it interesting . 

Screenshot2024-05-06at08_08_23.png.43db37ca92c35d19ae8cb512c51c94a1.png

Screenshot2024-05-06at08_07_41.png.7de55d5f3eaf287d33ca38011e7af671.png

Screenshot2024-05-06at08_07_13.png.120ca78cbe37231957386110344adf7f.png

Screenshot2024-05-06at08_09_19.png.5c7a585a1ef37a514e502df1e143d9e8.png

Even with the cost of living being so high, what this shows is Club's have been proactive in marketing themselves more towards families, with only 4 clubs showing marginal losses in home support.

I'm sure if most clubs did a breakdown in the demographics of who actually goes to games nowadays the era of cheap U12s and Under 19s tickets has increased the numbers of children coming to games massively.

To avoid the anticipated drop off when the under 19s go into Adult prices, City are one of the only clubs I reckon to do Under 22 and Under 25 tickets as well.

Will be interesting to see if we keep the momentum going, but next season's sales have I think shocked a large number of us over how high they actually are.

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Is the average home support inclusive or exclusive of away fans as their attendance can be a real moveable feast dependant on allocation, timing of fixture, their form etc. I realise though it can only be a reasonable reflection as ST holders are counted whether they attend or not (and I missed a few this year due to ill health, now happily resolved). 

There are two tables showing that. We are up on both, 11% on total, just under 10% on home only. Still can’t compete with the gas on Away %’age though, they take 76,000,000% more fans away than at home……..

As said in another post the amount of middle class ( not knocking it ) families who seem to go now has risen dramatically. I personally think a lot to do with it has been the huge improvement of the facilities and how decent a stadium Ashton gate is ( though no doubt there will be the  it was better as it was agendas crowd piping up ) I think the teams in our league are some big clubs aswell which attract people to come and watch , Leeds , Leicester etc etc ( I won’t say the other just in case Tinnion & Manning read this and it blows there head off with excitement) Also any one new to the area and students etc along with young kids growing up are always going to choose City over Rovers at the moment unless you come from a diehard Rovers family , Some won’t like this on our day ( far to inconsistent for my liking ) we have played some decent football,  Plymouth Leicester xxxxxxxxxxx 👀at home and Watford Norwich away stands out .

• Like 1

I can't quite put my finger on it as to why attendances are up accross the board. Its interesting. 

As for away attendences. I always find it pointless to compare ours to other clubs. Swansea have to travel over an hour just to get out of Wales for example. 

Would Birmingham, Coventry and West Brom get the away attendences they do if they were located in Swansea for example? Instead of being quite central? 

I did once see a away attendence table that factored in all the miles fans have to travel and I believe we were quite high up on that. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I can't quite put my finger on it as to why attendances are up accross the board. Its interesting. 

As for away attendences. I always find it pointless to compare ours to other clubs. Swansea have to travel over an hour just to get out of Wales for example. 

Would Birmingham, Coventry and West Brom get the away attendences they do if they were located in Swansea for example? Instead of being quite central? 

I did once see a away attendence table that factored in all the miles fans have to travel and I believe we were quite high up on that. 

It makes the numbers that travel for Plymouth and Norwich more impressive than they first appear too even though Plymouth aren`t covered by those charts.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Yes that’s exclusive of away fans as I saw somewhere else that our total average attendance this season was 22,548. So 20,649 average just for home fans must leave only 2.5k ish available as home capacity (i.e. without the Atyeo) must be around 23k. 

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Home support in terms of tickets sold is bloody great. Our away support remains fairly poor though, no reason we should have a lower average than the likes of Preston and QPR

Yeah I think there are a lot of variables though like who you are playing on what days etc. Also some clubs like Preston historically take loads to teams around them and we get our allocation limited in games like Swansea and Cardiff. But you are right we should have higher attendances. 

However those home attendances aren’t exactly accurate are they? There were several games at home where fans on here were saying that there was a few thousand short of what was being announced. I guess that happens everywhere but hard to tell. 

22 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Yeah I think there are a lot of variables though like who you are playing on what days etc. Also some clubs like Preston historically take loads to teams around them and we get our allocation limited in games like Swansea and Cardiff. But you are right we should have higher attendances. 

However those home attendances aren’t exactly accurate are they? There were several games at home where fans on here were saying that there was a few thousand short of what was being announced. I guess that happens everywhere but hard to 

Yes, Preston have about five or six trips closer/shorter than here to Reading; Blackburn is 10 miles from Preston (Twerton Park was further for most of us) and they are given a whole end, about 7000.

It's good to see our away numbers going up and people enjoying their away days following the City a bit more. Just need a thrilling season now, to bump them even more.

• Like 1

I think the the fact that all but 2 teams had an increase in their home crowd has a lot to do with the other 6 teams that make up the league (you’ll note that only the 18 who were in this league for both years are listed). 

I’d imagine that for most clubs. There would be a fair few more on the home gate to watch Leeds, Leicester & Southampton than there would have been for Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton. 
And on a smaller scale, the same could be said for Sheff Weds, Ipswich & Plymouth rather than Blackpool, Wigan & Reading. 

18 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Although of course, sometimes those attendees are City fans living in different parts of the country.

When I lived in London, I always watched our games there.  No 125-mile road trip for me - just a tube journey.