IGNORED

Murf's 1st U21 Debut

Tomo

Very interested in Murphy and Stokes next season. We’ve seen in Alex Scott how young players can go from ‘prospect’ to ‘first team regular’ if they’re good enough.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Very interested in Murphy and Stokes next season. We’ve seen in Alex Scott how young players can go from ‘prospect’ to ‘first team regular’ if they’re good enough.

Yes. I saw Stokes in one of the televised FA Cup games earlier in the season and he stood out a mile. Him, Murphy and hopefully Bird ( who I've not seen) look like being excellent signings.

• Like 1

Just now, Roger Red Hat said:

Yes. I saw Stokes in one of the televised FA Cup games earlier in the season and he stood out a mile. Him, Murphy and hopefully Bird ( who I've not seen) look like being excellent signings.

You win nothing with kids 😉

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

24 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Ok do when foner expect to see Murphy, Stokes, & Bird bring first team ready?

Bird will obviously be first team ready,  Murphy, Stokes and Palmer-Houlden will be first team squad in my opinion, but back up. In a squad of 22 for example 

Whilst I was very impressed with his 27 minutes performance, it's really difficult to judge whether Manning would include him in next season's 1st team squad. 

U21 football is what it is and City and Charlton have both struggled with results this season. Some will say that results don't matter, it is a 'development league'. However, the jump from U21 to Champ is huge as we know. Not everyone is an Alex Scott unfortunately.

The personnel and make up of our u21 squad will look very different next season with a lot of players being released soon and u18 players stepping in. 

It's going to be very interesting to follow the pathway of Murphy and the U18's stepping up. 

I called it a few weeks back that Forest Green may look at some of our u21 released players or even those players staying, who maybe loaned out next season. Ping! - Cotts was at the gate yesterday, so it will be interesting to see if anything happens on that front.

14 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Whilst I was very impressed with his 27 minutes performance, it's really difficult to judge whether Manning would include him in next season's 1st team squad. 

U21 football is what it is and City and Charlton have both struggled with results this season. Some will say that results don't matter, it is a 'development league'. However, the jump from U21 to Champ is huge as we know. Not everyone is an Alex Scott unfortunately.

The personnel and make up of our u21 squad will look very different next season with a lot of players being released soon and u18 players stepping in. 

It's going to be very interesting to follow the pathway of Murphy and the U18's stepping up. 

I called it a few weeks back that Forest Green may look at some of our u21 released players or even those players staying, who maybe loaned out next season. Ping! - Cotts was at the gate yesterday, so it will be interesting to see if anything happens on that front.

Solid performance wasn’t it. Looked very composed and confident. I’m very much looking forward to seeing more vs FGR

3 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Be interesting to see where Idehen and Kadji end up considering they have made a handful of senior appearances between them...

I believe Leeson and Zac Bell are also at the end of their contract. Both were highly rated but it's looking like they have not made the grade to push on with us. 

Hope they mirror what Vince Harper achieved, he dropped to National League South and then reignited his EFL career. 

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

FWIW, and I’ve obviously not seen Murphy in a City shirt yet, he has the big advantage that he’s got 40 games-worth of senior football under his belt already.  Top-flight Ireland Prem is not the greatest standard but he was playing for one of the better teams there, inc playing in a couple of Euro qualifiers.

That puts him well ahead (imho) of someone who’s been on loan at Yate for example.

Do I expect him to be a first team regular next season?  Absolutely not.  But I do expect him to around the match day 20, and to get minutes here and there, and not token minutes either?  Yes, I do.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Leabrook said:

Bird will obviously be first team ready,  Murphy, Stokes and Palmer-Houlden will be first team squad in my opinion, but back up. In a squad of 22 for example 

Not too sure that Murphy & Palmer-Houlden will be first team squad..

League one loan for PH, League two for Murphy would be more likely.

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Hmmm 1

I think we'll keep Murphy and Stokes with uis up until Christmas and go from there, it's a big step up and think keeping them in this environment to help physically and with the extra intensity and standard.

If they both stay fit can see both becoming embedded squad players next season and being rotated in and out based on form and fitness. Stokes in particular, seems to suit this 'two number 10's' formation really well and wonder if that will help is progress quicker. 

• Like 1

Tinnion has already indicated SPH will be staying and feature in the matchday squad, presumably as an understudy to a new signing of similar style and physique, and my impression is the idea is to fast track Murphy and he may have even featured this season but for needing to get up to speed fitness wise and a couple of niggling injuries resulting from that .

I don't see SPH or Murphy as likely to either go out on loan or be regular first choice starters, but they'll be regulars on the bench and make a reasonable number of first team apps. over the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't see SPH or Murphy as likely to either go out on loan

I agree. I think those 2, and Stokes are going to be 1st team squad, not go out on loan, and maybe surprise a few on here with the amount of games they play. But what do I know.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

Numbers wise there would have to be more signings made this summer than I’m expecting for that to be the case.

If James moves on & Bird is his replacement then we are still King’s usual place on the bench down after a season where we often only named 8 subs.

I’m expecting Stokes, Seb P-H & Murphy, alongside the likes of Backwell & Knight-Lebel to be the players we look to for 2 of these spots.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That puts him well ahead (imho) of someone who’s been on loan at Yate for example.

How very dare you! 🤣

2 hours ago, hinsleburg said:

I think we'll keep Murphy and Stokes with uis up until Christmas and go from there, it's a big step up and think keeping them in this environment to help physically and with the extra intensity and standard.

If they both stay fit can see both becoming embedded squad players next season and being rotated in and out based on form and fitness. Stokes in particular, seems to suit this 'two number 10's' formation really well and wonder if that will help is progress quicker. 

Well given that Manning has shown zero interest in giving youth players proper senior minutes then I'd say it's a big leap to assume that either of them will be utilised next year.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Tinnion has already indicated SPH will be staying and feature in the matchday squad, presumably as an understudy to a new signing of similar style and physique, and my impression is the idea is to fast track Murphy and he may have even featured this season but for needing to get up to speed fitness wise and a couple of niggling injuries resulting from that .

I don't see SPH or Murphy as likely to either go out on loan or be regular first choice starters, but they'll be regulars on the bench and make a reasonable number of first team apps. over the season.

He's probably the overseas striker Tinnion mentioned.... Bringing Seb into the squad from Wales and Murphy from Ireland we're going proper multicultural.....!

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

How very dare you! 🤣

Well given that Manning has shown zero interest in giving youth players proper senior minutes then I'd say it's a big leap to assume that either of them will be utilised next year.

He's probably the overseas striker Tinnion mentioned.... Bringing Seb into the squad from Wales and Murphy from Ireland we're going proper multicultural.....!

It was mentioned by another post in another thread.

What youngsters should of been  given more minutes over the first team out of interest?

1 hour ago, RedRoss said:

It was mentioned by another post in another thread.

What youngsters should of been  given more minutes over the first team out of interest?

I haven't watched any of the kids to be honest, but straight off the bat Knight-Lebel. An obvious one at that.  He moved around several players, including Sykes to LWB, rather than play him in some dead rubbers in his natural position.  Came off the bench at Forest and looked calm and assured - surely should have been given a chance in the final two matches at the very least.  The repeatedly understaffed bench rather than bringing some along for the senior match day experience. Again, as well documented elsewhere, he's never been one to give youth a chance in either of his previous EFL jobs.

Let me flip it round.  Seeing as Tinnion is always banging on about the pathway etc, what signs are you seeing that make you believe that he will utilise the very expensive tool at his disposal...? For my money we might as well release SPH as there's no way he's going to make it here.  Manning plays 1 striker and a "number 10", both positions that we are stated to be recruiting in.  SPH, no matter how good he may be, won't be getting in the squad ahead of Cornick, Wells and Conway. 

The Academy has been a minable product that has helped to keep the club from going into administration over the past 10 years.  It feels to me though that Manning is doing all he can to ignore it.

• Like 8
  • Robin 1

5 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

They've got pre-season to flip the script

23 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I haven't watched any of the kids to be honest, but straight off the bat Knight-Lebel. An obvious one at that.  He moved around several players, including Sykes to LWB, rather than play him in some dead rubbers in his natural position.  Came off the bench at Forest and looked calm and assured - surely should have been given a chance in the final two matches at the very least.  The repeatedly understaffed bench rather than bringing some along for the senior match day experience. Again, as well documented elsewhere, he's never been one to give youth a chance in either of his previous EFL jobs.

Let me flip it round.  Seeing as Tinnion is always banging on about the pathway etc, what signs are you seeing that make you believe that he will utilise the very expensive tool at his disposal...? For my money we might as well release SPH as there's no way he's going to make it here.  Manning plays 1 striker and a "number 10", both positions that we are stated to be recruiting in.  SPH, no matter how good he may be, won't be getting in the squad ahead of Cornick, Wells and Conway. 

The Academy has been a minable product that has helped to keep the club from going into administration over the past 10 years.  It feels to me though that Manning is doing all he can to ignore it.

I understand that and trust me I always like seeing youngsters given a chance but they atleast have to be good enough. I expect they won't be another Alex Scott (I wish) who just comes into the fold and looks first team straight away but they have to be able to get to the standard. You basically said one player. We've been very lucky with players coming through in recent years and resold for good money, a very important part of our business. However, that gravy train will stop from time to time. It can't always produce. This is exactly why we've signed Murphy and Stokes to supplement what we have. I don't think any of the experienced youngsters Kadji, OTC, Idehen, Francois ect are good enough frankly. Shows what a desperate and great job Nigel did having to use them. For the likes of Morrison and JKL ect they are literally 18 or 19 and time will tell. Also the academy is not the only revenue stream for us either. I'll say it's likely Roberts will be worth millions for us in a couple of years and we brought him in for free.

I think its a little early to say LM won't play youngsters. Especially considering he seemed to fighting for his job not so long ago. Post that losing streak I don't blame him for playing experience and playing it safe. His job and reputation was seriously under threat. Perhaps with a better start he might find trust in SPH for example. I agree if he doesn't next season in parts, it does go against the club ethos which is reiterated by Tins all the time. Whether that is SPH or Murphy or whoever is good enough.

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

Why not? Conway won't be here, Cornick is doing his best to lose his place in the squad and Wells isn't getting any younger.

2 hours ago, RedRoss said:

I understand that and trust me I always like seeing youngsters given a chance but they atleast have to be good enough. I expect they won't be another Alex Scott (I wish) who just comes into the fold and looks first team straight away but they have to be able to get to the standard. You basically said one player. We've been very lucky with players coming through in recent years and resold for good money, a very important part of our business. However, that gravy train will stop from time to time. It can't always produce. This is exactly why we've signed Murphy and Stokes to supplement what we have. I don't think any of the experienced youngsters Kadji, OTC, Idehen, Francois ect are good enough frankly. Shows what a desperate and great job Nigel did having to use them. For the likes of Morrison and JKL ect they are literally 18 or 19 and time will tell. Also the academy is not the only revenue stream for us either. I'll say it's likely Roberts will be worth millions for us in a couple of years and we brought him in for free.

I think its a little early to say LM won't play youngsters. Especially considering he seemed to fighting for his job not so long ago. Post that losing streak I don't blame him for playing experience and playing it safe. His job and reputation was seriously under threat. Perhaps with a better start he might find trust in SPH for example. I agree if he doesn't next season in parts, it does go against the club ethos which is reiterated by Tins all the time. Whether that is SPH or Murphy or whoever is good enough.

But surely once we (and he) were safe is the ideal no pressure time to try some. Elijah Morrison considered good enough for a few minutes here and there. See what they can do with a 90 minutes under their belt. It also doesn't excuse not having some on the bench for that experience.

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

Why not? Conway won't be here, Cornick is doing his best to lose his place in the squad and Wells isn't getting any younger.

Because we've already been told that the targets in the summer are a new number 9 and a number 10 (likely Twine). He clearly sees something in Cornick as he brings him on enough. If he didn't rate him he's shown with Mebude that he'd be left warming the bench. I'd love to see him take Cornick's place on the bench and given a chance but I don't believe he will.