IGNORED

16 years ago today

JBFC II

Both semi final legs of the playoffs that year are right up there in terms of great games since we left the top flight.

All 4 goals were scored were of the highest quality & for a side with such a dismal playoff record, to win both of them against Warnock (who had never lost in the playoffs before) was some achievement.

I have read some rubbish on here recently about that side, it was an excellent one & you really don’t fluke getting into that position after 48 games at Championship level.

Cue “you know who” to mention beating Hartlepool (!) was better than this & make up a load of lies about the Hull game..

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 12

24 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

One of the great Ashton gate nights this century, how time flies

it wasn't just the sky mic that picked up the sound of Watson's pen hitting the post - I distinctly remember hearing it from the Williams stand.

The only time that evening you could hear a pin drop (or post get hit 😇)

Who said you can’t get a good atmosphere at Ashton gate , the place was fxxking bouncing and very intimidating ( not in an aggressive way ) just so passionate, 

nothing to do with the ground just the football that’s being played and the people in the ground , fans & football makes atmospheres not stadiums .

• Like 2

Great night, fantastic memories, one of the best down the gate in many a long year.

Although, look where Palace are now, the losers on that night, and where they've been and what they've achieved in the last 16 years.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, OneCity said:

Great night, fantastic memories, one of the best down the gate in many a long year.

Although, look where Palace are now, the losers on that night, and where they've been and what they've achieved in the last 16 years.

Always interesting looking at those tables.

Also in the playoffs were Watford (been up and down twice since, with 6 PL seasons in total), and Hull, obviously, who went back up again in 15/16 but then were in L1 in 20/21! Excitement at least.

You have to go down to Plymouth in 10th before you find a club who haven't been up to the PL in that time.

Leicester were relegated from the Championship that year... Along with Scunthorpe and Colchester who will both be playing non league next year. 

Just now, IAmNick said:

Always interesting looking at those tables.

Also in the playoffs were Watford (been up and down twice since, with 6 PL seasons in total), and Hull, obviously, who went back up again in 15/16 but then were in L1 in 20/21! Excitement at least.

You have to go down to Plymouth in 10th before you find a club who haven't been up to the PL in that time.

Leicester were relegated from the Championship that year... Along with Scunthorpe and Colchester who will both be playing non league next year. 

Colchester stayed up, mate.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Colchester stayed up, mate.

Quite right, I still wouldn't be able to tell you off the top of my head exactly how many it is from each division without looking...

Championship 3 go down, L1 is 4, L2 is 2, and the National League has some crazy 6 team playoff for promotion.

Why is it so random?

Good memories. Watched the away leg on sky - as Noble shaped to shoot my Dad yelled, "not from there!" only to see if fly in. Scenes of unbridled joy across the living room.

As you can imagine, we then said "not from there" every time somebody looked like they might shoot from the edge of the box just in case they were the magic words.

Home leg was on my 16th birthday. Had GCSE exams the next morning. As @Reigate Red says it turned on the penalty miss - as he stepped up it looked like our season was over but after that we all started to believe.

Partly it was being young I guess but I had such faith in that team - having followed us through a long 7 or 8 years in league one playing the likes of Port Vale, Oldham and Chesterfield every year I thought our time had finally come - Johnson Snr could do no wrong, Carey was an inspirational leader, Elliott was an absolute beast, Trundle was a maverick genius etc. Looking back I might have got a bit carried away...! But it was still a team to be proud of.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, JBFC II said:

One of the great Ashton gate nights this century, how time flies

Has there ever been a moment where somebody has shaped up to shoot, 20 yards out, bodies and goalkeeper in the way but as soon as he took his first touch you just knew it was going in?

I can't think of a player in the last 20 years I would have rather had on the end of that second goal than Trundle, his natural and technical ability was phenomenal! 

5 hours ago, Chrizzler said:

I didn't appreciate how good that team was at the time. Lee Trundle was class. 

He was, but he underperformed generally for us if my memory is right. Only scored about 6 goals all season? Considering his price tag he was very underwhelming in general, albeit some special goals.

I remember going to the toilet at the end of the 90 and the guy next to me having a right old moan about him - I recall saying to him don't worry, Trundle will turn up in ET 🥲

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

23 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

He was, but he underperformed generally for us if my memory is right. Only scored about 6 goals all season? Considering his price tag he was very underwhelming in general, albeit some special goals.

I remember going to the toilet at the end of the 90 and the guy next to me having a right old moan about him - I recall saying to him don't worry, Trundle will turn up in ET 🥲

He scored a couple against Scunthorpe in August and then disappeared.

Great season. McIndoe was superb, remember his goal against a recently relegated Sheffield Utd on Sky and thinking, hmm we might have half a chance in this league. Marvin Elliotts 30 yarder against Stoke another highlight. Bradley Orr was magnificent all season. As was the entire backline. Shame the January signings didn't push us on. Nick Carle was a good idea and Dele Adebola definitely did a job but we needed more cutting edge up front. 

The David Noble goal also slightly overshadows an unbelievable strike from Carey in the opening game. 

But that 2nd leg remains my favourite City moment (I'm around 30, for some reason a 94th minute West Burns winner again Middlesbrough is also up there). Managed to get tickets in the Eastend and it was nail biting stuff but the Trundle goal in particular still gives me goosebumps. 

Edited by Chairman Mao
  • Like 1
  • Robin 2

Cracking goals against Scunthorpe! Trundle also got one at Norwich in a 3-1 (?) win if memory serves.

Probably not the signing we needed in hindsight, and maybe a few years too late for him to step up to that level.l ad well. Played his part nonetheless.

Went to 44 matches that season, the sort you follow a club like City to really enjoy. That was a great side, full of characters.  Gary Johnson really pulled (most of!) the fan base together. Amongst the best times of my City supporting life.

• Robin 1

6 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Went to 44 matches that season, the sort you follow a club like City to really enjoy. That was a great side, full of characters.  Gary Johnson really pulled (most of!) the fan base together. Amongst the best times of my City supporting life.

It was my first season as an ST holder as I'd just passed my driving test. Did every home game and about half the away games, going up on the coaches every week. Was such a good season.

• Robin 2