IGNORED

Jon Lansdown on distribution and FA Cup

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/jon-lansdown-facup-bristol-city-9287898

Surprised there isn't a thread. Like a broken clock, he is right twice a day but anyway tend to agree albeit it does make me fest that if we get and work towards two models without the registration that perhaps we stagnate or regress.

I'm not too optimistic and Manning isn't the issue. A combination of some sustainability drive, awaiting future redistribution and new rules and just being in a bit of a holding pattern as a result.

6 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Totally agree with what he has said. 

But why didn't we release a statement when this happened? 

Which is ironic and I stopped reading when he started moaning about how long the review body is taking. 

As we saw when the European Superleague was announced and was buried through an unprecedented and united backlash, timing is everything. Being mute at the time, and piping up months later adds nothing - even if the message is correct. 

• Like 1

A lot of common sense, well done Jon, just one point though, why does he (or anyone come to that) feel the need to wear a poppy six months either side of the month you are meant to be wearing one (petty I know but for some reason it bugs me) 😒

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

All true I guess, I was at the parliamentary committee that is referred to. Parish and Bloom were there running the old "be careful you don't damage the best league in the world" crap.

Parish even had the audacity to say that the fact he has to write bigger cheques in the PL than he did in the Championship was a good thing! He talks a good talk but it's shallow and full of holes.

This bit "You’ve got people in government saying you should accept an offer, but you’ve got no offer… so, how does that work?" Is reference to current DCMS secretary Lucy Frazer telling EFL clubs to accept an offer a couple of months ago, and saying that any offer the regulator imposes would be worse. So "take it now or else" basically.

The regulator is coming. No doubt about that. We're working to make sure it has proper powers to impose a financial distribution agreement.

Hopefully City can show a bit more leadership on this, maybe Jon can go to the next committee rather than the chairs of Bolton, Brighton or Palace.

I'm glad we've finally said something.

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

A lot of common sense, well done Jon, just one point though, why does he (or anyone come to that) feel the need to wear a poppy six months either side of the month you are meant to be wearing one (petty I know but for some reason it bugs me) 😒

Unless you’re whooshing us, the photo that accompanied the article was the stock image used from LM’s appointment in……November!

35 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

All true I guess, I was at the parliamentary committee that is referred to. Parish and Bloom were there running the old "be careful you don't damage the best league in the world" crap.

Parish even had the audacity to say that the fact he has to write bigger cheques in the PL than he did in the Championship was a good thing! He talks a good talk but it's shallow and full of holes.

This bit "You’ve got people in government saying you should accept an offer, but you’ve got no offer… so, how does that work?" Is reference to current DCMS secretary Lucy Frazer telling EFL clubs to accept an offer a couple of months ago, and saying that any offer the regulator imposes would be worse. So "take it now or else" basically.

The regulator is coming. No doubt about that. We're working to make sure it has proper powers to impose a financial distribution agreement.

Hopefully City can show a bit more leadership on this, maybe Jon can go to the next committee rather than the chairs of Bolton, Brighton or Palace.

Has it occurred to Parish that EFL clubs need money to develop the kinds of players his club likes to sign?

I'm not inclined to look to our club for leadership, though there's a first time for everything I suppose.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Bristol Sport got its employees to sign up on here in order to influence the fanbase. 

I'm not sure that's the kind of leadership we need on this issue. 

Our 'leaders' would be acting the same way as Bloom and Parish if we were in the premier league, let's not pretend otherwise. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/jon-lansdown-facup-bristol-city-9287898

Surprised there isn't a thread. Like a broken clock, he is right twice a day but anyway tend to agree albeit it does make me fest that if we get and work towards two models without the registration that perhaps we stagnate or regress.

I'm not too optimistic and Manning isn't the issue. A combination of some sustainability drive, awaiting future redistribution and new rules and just being in a bit of a holding pattern as a result.

A couple of comments jump out..

“Actions speak louder than words, right." - Indeed they do Jon.

"you’d like to think people’s memories aren’t that short" - They aren't, Jon.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Has it occurred to Parish that EFL clubs need money to develop the kinds of players his club likes to sign?

I suspect he sees those fees as part of the distribution of money.

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Our 'leaders' would be acting the same way as Bloom and Parish if we were in the premier league, let's not pretend otherwise. 

Possibly. Parish tried to run that argument as well...which still boils down to him saying "yes we're self-interested, but that's ok because everyone else would be".

I still try to be optimistic and hope that maybe we might find some compassion for the EFL if we ever go up. Maybe that's a naive or hollow hope, but I'd like it to prove true.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2

It’s all about cash. 
Jon hints at that here. If the “redistribution” deal is right, and EFL clubs get more money, then they’ll all happily trade that off for the cup replays. 
None of his comments suggest he has the ‘fans interest’ at heart. It’s all about money. 
We want more money from the EPL and we’ll suck up anything you wanna do with the FA cup. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Unless you’re whooshing us, the photo that accompanied the article was the stock image used from LM’s appointment in……November!

Haha, didn’t know Dave, thanks for pointing that out, apologies to JL then, my point still stands about poppies in May though 😆