IGNORED

Will he come on and score WBA winner?

Makes you realise just how weak the Championship is this year with WBA and Norwich in the play-offs, both semi’s have pretty much been no contests. Barring the top 4 it really is quite a low standard compared to the way it was 6/7 years ago.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Hankey said:

Makes you realise just how weak the Championship is this year with WBA and Norwich in the play-offs, both semi’s have pretty much been no contests. Barring the top 4 it really is quite a low standard compared to the way it was 6/7 years ago.

It's not really is it? I think it's just the effect of parachute payments.

• Flames 1

Is that the softest Pen for a while ? Almost went down before he got near the box .

Some ok finishing , but either of these two should get battered if Leeds are anywhere near on it.

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

Leeds v Saints will be an interesting match of different styles. Difficult to call.

I feel dirty wanting Leeds to win. As long as Russell Martin is crying tears of sadness at the end, I think I'll be able to reconcile it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

It's not really is it? I think it's just the effect of parachute payments.

Wouldn’t say it’s just parachute payments, whilst that has of course benefitted relegated teams, clubs haven’t quite invested as they did pre-covid and it almost seems like a drop off in quality in the league. Very few players i see these days in this league make me get out of my seat, apart from Alex Scott of course!

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Real dilemma Martin & Sunak or that tosser Andy Johnson.

All academic, a parachute payment final surprise, surprise.

Who is Andy Johnson? That bald striker from the noughties?

1 minute ago, TammyAB said:

Who is Andy Johnson? That bald striker from the noughties?

Nope Bristolian gashead who played for them & spent his entire commentary against us being incredibly disrespectful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thought it was a really disappointing game of football - ended up only half watching the second half. WBA barely even laid a glove on Southampton, I guess it was their game plan but it's hard to see what their plan to actually, you know, win the game was as opposed to just be there.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Revenue.

Screenshot_20240517-220413.png

Just makes you realise what a remarkable job Ipswich did.

The other 3 (Leicester already up with their astonishing wage bill) were all in the Prem last season & have a ridiculous financial advantage over everyone else.

They said in commentary Corberan hasn’t paid a single fee for a player at West Brom, Southampton had players on the bench tonight who cost 8 figure sums.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Thought it was a really disappointing game of football - ended up only half watching the second half. WBA barely even laid a glove on Southampton, I guess it was their game plan but it's hard to see what their plan to actually, you know, win the game was as opposed to just be there.

Crewe comeback at Doncaster aside, the play offs have been very underwhelming this year

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mr Hankey said:

I don't really agree with this.

7 years ago Huddersfield got promoted on the back of losing a third of their games, a negative goal difference and scoring only 1 goal (which was an OG) in 330 minutes of play off football. 

Norwich and WBA have looked poor because Leeds and Southampton are so strong, albeit Southampton with a weird well overrated manager.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Who ever doesn’t win will probably walk the league next season .

They’ll certainly start as the strong favourites.

Obviously all three coming back down will have a massive financial advantage as well but only arguably Sheff U are comparable in terms of size & they have been a shambles this season.

Just to add Sky’s commentary last night said Southampton had the third highest budget this season, Leicester had the biggest, Leeds second.

We probably knew this, but what a farce it really is, not exactly a competitive, level playing field.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I feel dirty wanting Leeds to win. As long as Russell Martin is crying tears of sadness at the end, I think I'll be able to reconcile it.

I want Leeds to win. As ever my attitude is lose the club that would make the division more difficult and I believe we lost twice to Leeds.

I can’t recall how we got on against Southampton.

• Haha 3
  • Robin 1

30 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Obviously all three coming back down will have a massive financial advantage as well but only arguably Sheff U are comparable in terms of size & they have been a shambles this season.

Just to add Sky’s commentary last night said Southampton had the third highest budget this season, Leicester had the biggest, Leeds second.

We probably knew this, but what a farce it really is, not exactly a competitive, level playing field.

Players mlght go but they will have the ability to replace them too .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

WBA win just to see Russell Martin crying in his post-match presser.

I do get what you mean but have a look at his upbringing and the wonderful charity he set up then you might have a different opinion of him

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Inevitable that most seasons the three teams coming down will have the highest budgets. 

It's the fact they get a massive golden handshake on the way down, and are actively encouraged to spend more money instead of attempting to balance the books, that is the problem. 

I think we could accept budgets being 10-20% higher, but when they're 50-100% bigger, it's not competition. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, phantom said:

Sneaky of Southampton to bring their advertising hoardings nearer the pitch in theory to affect the long throws of Furlong 

Great call in fairness. They were the home team you do things to give yourselves any advantage.