IGNORED

Scotland Euros squad

GrahamC

Tommy , imo , is not the full deal , but has the potential to become so. Hopefully he will be advised to stay here , where he will get game time, so he can continue to improve and then eventually move on (if he must) to a much bigger club and a much higher fee than is likely now.

Everyone wins 

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

I don't think Conway is good enough yet, sorry to say it but I think he'd be really found out against the defenders in Scotland's group.

Does not work consistently hard enough in my view and positional play needs work. A raw talent, but can improve certainly.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Harry said:

It’s not because Shankland is based in Scotland. It’s because Shankland is the top scorer in Scotland. By some distance (6 goals clear this season). And has 48 league goals in 74 league games in the last 2 seasons. 

Hes not tall and hard running is he?

Hopefully this might bring Conway back down to earth a bit. Because if you’ve got Lyndon Dykes ahead of you, you know you’ve got work to do!

The times I have seen Dykes play for QPR or Scotland, he has been useless.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Hopefully this might bring Conway back down to earth a bit. Because if you’ve got Lyndon Dykes ahead of you, you know you’ve got work to do!

The times I have seen Dykes play for QPR or Scotland, he has been useless.

I hope so too, kid aint as good as he thinks he is imo

• Like 6
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, The Original OTIB said:

Does not work consistently hard enough in my view and positional play needs work. A raw talent, but can improve certainly.

Conway needs coaching in how to be a single striker if that’s what many coaches now want, including at international level. Too often he’s not where he needs to be when there are goal scoring opportunities. And I think that’s down to the fact that until last season he had been playing in a front pair with Wells. Penalties aside, playing with another forward at the start of 2022-23 was when he looked the most proficient. But assuming that he stays for next season, I don’t see Manning moving to a formation with a front 2.

As for Conway taking quick tap corners, rather than being in the penalty box at a corner, don’t get me started! (Hint: Harry Kane is probably the best English lone striker - he doesn’t take quick short corners.)

• Flames 1

6 hours ago, 2015 said:

I don't think Conway is good enough yet, sorry to say it but I think he'd be really found out against the defenders in Scotland's group.

You don't think he'd bully Rudiger or Hummels?!

5 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Hopefully this might bring Conway back down to earth a bit.

I suspect what it will actually do is make Conway believe, more than he already does, that he really needs to be playing for a team that creates chances for him and for a team that doesn't use him first and foremost as an auxiliary defender and also for a team that gives him a whole lot more support as a lone striker than the, frankly, mediocre wide attackers and ACMs we currently have.

In other words, not Bristol City under Liam Manning and the attacking players at his disposal.

Promises of signing Scott Twine to improve that won't cut it.

So the odds have to be that he's off.

Not to the Prem and I can't see a top end Champ team thinking he's the starting no.9 to win them promotion either.

Which - when you're trying to push your way into Joe Jordan's or Kenny Dalglish's Scotland shirt (the very thought) - leaves you choosing between Celtic and Rangers.

Playing for either of those, Tommy can fill his boots with goals and the Daily Record (that's a newspaper, young people) will be full of stories about Taunton Tommy, the English country bumpkin, riding to the rescue of Rob Roy, Rab C Nisbet et al and Steve Clarke won't be able to ignore him.

Playing as centre forward for either of those clubs is like shooting fish in a barrel for a living.

Even as a sub getting regular minutes and some goals, he'd be better off than playing Manningball for another year.

The question we all have to ask is - If you were Tommy Conway and you had offers on the table from elsewhere (which he obviously has, given we've been offering him a new contract for about 18 months without reply), why would you stay at City.

Compared, for instance, to going to Scotland for a pay rise and shooting fish in a barrel for a living.

So it's Cheerio Tommy, all the best!

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 4
  • Flames 2

7 hours ago, Harry said:

I assumed when you said “non-Scottish” in your first post that you were referring to them not playing in Scotland. 
Hadn’t realised it was in reference to their ancestry. 

I thought the same.

Turns out it was a bloody good gag.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I suspect what it will actually do is make Conway believe, more than he already does, that he really needs to be playing for a team that creates chances for him and for a team that doesn't use him first and foremost as an auxiliary defender and also for a team that gives him a whole lot more support as a lone striker than the, frankly, mediocre wide attackers and ACMs we currently have.

In other words, not Bristol City under Liam Manning and the attacking players at his disposal.

Promises of signing Scott Twine to improve that won't cut it.

So the odds have to be that he's off.

Not to the Prem and I can't see a top end Champ team thinking he's the starting no.9 to win them promotion either.

Which - when you're trying to push your way into Joe Jordan's or Kenny Dalglish's Scotland shirt (the very thought) - leaves you choosing between Celtic and Rangers.

Playing for either of those, Tommy can fill his boots with goals and the Daily Record (that's a newspaper, young people) will be full of stories about Taunton Tommy, the English country bumpkin, riding to the rescue of Rob Roy, Rab C Nisbet et al and Steve Clarke won't be able to ignore him.

Playing as centre forward for either of those clubs is like shooting fish in a barrel for a living.

Even as a sub getting regular minutes and some goals, he'd be better off than playing Manningball for another year.

The question we all have to ask is - If you were Tommy Conway and you had offers on the table from elsewhere (which he obviously has, given we've been offering him a new contract for about 18 months without reply), why would you stay at City.

Compared, for instance, to going to Scotland for a pay rise and shooting fish in a barrel for a living.

So it's Cheerio Tommy, all the best!

Yes. In every managerial appointment there will always be winners and losers. Mehmeti for example benefited from the managerial change. 

Tommy unfortunately does not suit what Manning wants from a striker. To be fair to Tommy he has worked hard to do what Manning has asked him to do. He didn't join up with the training camp so he could have that time on the grass here with Manning. 

Why our head coach tried to change the way Tommy plays I do not know. 

Tommy can't score if he's not given the chances. Even with the addition of Twine in our team, things didn't improve much for Tommy. 

Under Manning I don't think Tommy could have done anymore than he has done to earn a place at the Euros. 

Scotland may not qualify for another tournament in Tommys career. This could have been his only chance to play at a major tournament and due to all of the above he's missed out. Considering Tommy is incredibly driven I suspect he's gonna be quite annoyed to have missed out as I believe he thinks he is good enough to have gone. 

If Tommy is here next season, it's not because he's signed a new contract, because in my opinion he wont. It will be because he will be seeing his contract out. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Yes. In every managerial appointment there will always be winners and losers. Mehmeti for example benefited from the managerial change. 

Tommy unfortunately does not suit what Manning wants from a striker. To be fair to Tommy he has worked hard to do what Manning has asked him to do. He didn't join up with the training camp so he could have that time on the grass here with Manning. 

Tommy can't score if he's not given the chances. Even with the addition of Twine in our team, things didn't improve much for Tommy. 

Under Manning I don't think Tommy could have done anymore than he has done to earn a place at the Euros. 

Scotland may not qualify for another tournament in Tommys career. This could have been his only chance to play at a major tournament and due to all of the above he's missed out. Considering Tommy is incredibly driven I suspect he's gonna be quite annoyed to have missed out as I believe he thinks he is good enough to have gone. 

If Tommy is here next season, it's not because he's signed a new contract, because in my opinion he wont. It will be because he will be seeing his contract out. 

Well, if he's seeing out his contract, it will be because no decent offers have been made won't it?

And by decent, I mean anything over £3M (I don’t see £5M+ except as an add on package), and by a club offering a higher profile and tripling his money.

I think he's been on his way since long before Liam Manning turned up, but I agree that by not setting up the team to suit TC (and the merits of that can be debated), it won't sway his career plans.

Wherever he goes, I wish him well, but will regret he's not here kicking on with us. But that's what happens when you're an unfashionable mid table Championship team.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

To be fair to Tommy, is there any striker who would thrive in a Manning team? I have criticised Conway for how he has played, but we struggle to score from open play because of how we set up, and it’s not just because he and Wells are terrible finishers. The one time that Tommy actually got a through ball he could do something with (and wasn’t caught offside, another thing he needs to improve) was away at West Ham. And that stands out because it was so different to how we have generally played.

9 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

To be fair to Tommy, is there any striker who would thrive in a Manning team? I have criticised Conway for how he has played, but we struggle to score from open play because of how we set up, and it’s not just because he and Wells are terrible finishers. The one time that Tommy actually got a through ball he could do something with (and wasn’t caught offside, another thing he needs to improve) was away at West Ham. And that stands out because it was so different to how we have generally played.

Unpopular thought, that it’s constrained Pring too.  Remember when he used to get to the byline!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Glen hump said:

Listened to that on talk sport earlier’ the blokes now trying to say he done it on purpose’ 🤥

Which he very clearly did. 
Was a perfect set up. 

and for anyone who has been on the moon for a decade and never heard it, here you go. It’s a classic. 

43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Unpopular thought, that it’s constrained Pring too.  Remember when he used to get to the byline!

Unpopular thought, Manning favours a control, cautious, try not to lose type of football rather than front foot attacking football.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mozo said:

That's a blow for Tommy 

Might be the reality check he needs. If he was half the player he thinks he is, he would surely be in the squad.

Taking away his penalties, his goal tally last season was underwhelming. He needs to get back to the fast and aggressive player he was when he first came into the first team.

• Like 1

On 22/05/2024 at 21:07, Dr Balls said:

Didn’t he miss a 1 v 1 against Rotherham and won a penalty with the other when he was fouled but overran the ball? He’s not prime Batigol just yet…..in fact, for me, he has a bit of work to do to go up a level and get regular minutes.