IGNORED

Do You Remember The Time? (part 3)

Dollymarie

Right we are onto the 70's now, and the legends we have from the period 1970 -1979 are:

Paul Cheesely (1973 - 1977)

Chris Garland (1966 - 1971 and 1976 - 1983)

Gerry Sweeney (1971 - 1982)

Tom Ritchie (1969 - 1981 and 1982 - 1984)

You can post your memories on here, or email to info@bristolcityst.org.uk alternatively you can send your memories to Bristol City Supporters Trust, Ashton Gate Stadium, Bristol, BS3 2EJ

Thanks

Right we are onto the 70's now, and the legends we have from the period 1970 -1979 are:

Paul Cheesely (1973 - 1977)

Chris Garland (1966 - 1971 and 1976 - 1983)

Gerry Sweeney (1971 - 1982)

Tom Ritchie (1969 - 1981 and 1982 - 1984)

You can post your memories on here, or email to info@bristolcityst.org.uk alternatively you can send your memories to Bristol City Supporters Trust, Ashton Gate Stadium, Bristol, BS3 2EJ

Thanks

Take our lot today, sit them down and watch the 70'S players and they would see what the game is about! passion, flare, TEAMWORK , yet they still enjoyed a pint! difference was when they put that red shirt on + support from the famous EAST.

Paul Cheesley was the man, big and strong, a natural goal scorer and target man. Had he not suffered the terrible knee injury in only his second game in Division One, who knows.......

Most will remember his goal at Highbury in 1976, but I remember him thumping in the goals to get promotion the previous season. A nice bloke too.

Gerry Sweeney was Mr Utility, could play anywhere and run all day. He scored a fantastic goal at Sunderland in March 1976, and was a much underrated player in his career. We could do with him now though.

Chris Garland...... hmmmm. He wasn't the same when he came back from Chelsea and Leicester, but I do remember him scoring in a 6 - 1 win against the Gas. He rounded the keeper, stopped the ball with his foot on the goal line, got down on his hands and knees and nodded it in. Class. And VERY funny.

Tom Ritchie was another geat player, whose work rate was phenominal. He had to take a lot of stick from defenders and yet, despite being not the biggest bloke himself, could certainly handle himself.

These and many more were the lifeblood of the club. Present players take note: these guys gave 100%, played for next to nothing, and gave us a club of which we could be justly proud.

Guest pentlandsl

I remember Tom Ritchie being the best penalty taker we've ever had. He always hit them hard and low and were unstoppable.

Another player from this era who I remember was Jimmy Mann, who had a phenominal shot on him, the likes of which only Alan Walsh has come close to since. He scored one fantastic goal against Nottingham Forest, against the then world no. 1 keeper, Peter Shilton, from 42 yards (measured by the Evening Post using the stripes in the pitch to work it out) from the moment it left his boot it was in the top corner of the net, right in front of me in the East End - still makes me tingle now thinking about it. This was in the days of City getting the occasional 38000-40000 crowds - now look at us.

Other memorable players were Pertii Jantunan and Gert Meyer - both very skilful players and probably the greatest goalkeeper we have had in Jan Moller - unbelievable prescence in goal, a great shot stopper (anyone remember the one-handed save on his debut?) as well as a great catcher and puncher of the ball. If only we could attract players of that calibre now instead of the current crop of duds.

Unlike the current crop of players these 70's players had ambition, drive and determination and were a credit to the club. Maybe that's the problem with the current squad - a lack of ambition. They know that they aren't good enough for the Championship so why bust a gut to put themselves out of a job. And if they go down then that will give them 2 years minimum before they are out of their depth?

I remember Tom Ritchie being the best penalty taker we've ever had. He always hit them hard and low and were unstoppable.

Another player from this era who I remember was Jimmy Mann, who had a phenominal shot on him, the likes of which only Alan Walsh has come close to since. He scored one fantastic goal against Nottingham Forest, against the then world no. 1 keeper, Peter Shilton, from 42 yards (measured by the Evening Post using the stripes in the pitch to work it out) from the moment it left his boot it was in the top corner of the net, right in front of me in the East End - still makes me tingle now thinking about it. This was in the days of City getting the occasional 38000-40000 crowds - now look at us.

Other memorable players were Pertii Jantunan and Gert Meyer - both very skilful players and probably the greatest goalkeeper we have had in Jan Moller - unbelievable prescence in goal, a great shot stopper (anyone remember the one-handed save on his debut?) as well as a great catcher and puncher of the ball. If only we could attract players of that calibre now instead of the current crop of duds.

Unlike the current crop of players these 70's players had ambition, drive and determination and were a credit to the club. Maybe that's the problem with the current squad - a lack of ambition. They know that they aren't good enough for the Championship so why bust a gut to put themselves out of a job. And if they go down then that will give them 2 years minimum before they are out of their depth?

Shilton told my mate at a "do" recently " Bristol City eh? The best goal ever scored against me was by your bloke (Mann) unbelievable!"

After which loud chants of SuperMann SuperMan could be heard from a PACKED East End :englandsmile4wf:

Jimmy Mann scored a great goal from a free kick to win a cup tie at Torquay. Remember that??? WIN A CUP TIE????

Gerry Sweeney (1971 - 1982).....

......a great player for us and almost ever present in our top flight team from 1976 - 1980 if my memory serves me correct. I can't think of a BCFC player that has been more physically fit than Gerry Sweeney - a great professional player who was always full of running. Unlike the 'yard off the pace' bozos we now have at Ashton Gate.

Gerry Sweeney was also put in temporary charge of BCFC as manager after Joe Jordan left for the second time. I understand that Gerry Sweeney won every game as manager at BCFC - making Gerry Sweeney this clubs most successful manager ever ???!!!

Cheesley: Signed at the same time as Ernie Hunt if my memory serves me right. A top class striker who was sorely missed after his collision with Peter Shilton. A cracking header at Highbury will live long in the memory

Garland: Came back to City just when we needed a striker. Seemed to spend a good deal of time sat on his arse around the box, but came good when we needed him. Utterly loved this club!

Sweeney: I'd never seen penalties taken like it before or since. A terrific bloke into the bargain

Ritchie: A 100% trier. He simply did not give up chasing the ball. He deserved every good piece of luck that came his way.

The best of the lot... Gerry Gow!

Cheesley: Signed at the same time as Ernie Hunt if my memory serves me right. A top class striker who was sorely missed after his collision with Peter Shilton. A cracking header at Highbury will live long in the memory

Garland: Came back to City just when we needed a striker. Seemed to spend a good deal of time sat on his arse around the box, but came good when we needed him. Utterly loved this club!

Sweeney: I'd never seen penalties taken like it before or since. A terrific bloke into the bargain

Ritchie: A 100% trier. He simply did not give up chasing the ball. He deserved every good piece of luck that came his way.

The best of the lot... Gerry Gow!

Just reading down this thread and was going to post "what about Gerry Gow?"

Pewsham great minds think alike

The 70¬s when we had life, atmosphere at the Gate the East End roared and I attended all home games and most away. Oh yes I remember them well. Commitment and passion by some truly great players.

A far far cry from the present p.c world. :@

Guest bristolbred

Without a doubt, being at Highbury on 21 Aug 1976 when we beat the Mighty Arsenal 1 - 0 in front of 41082 fans, and ALL my friends at school on the following Monday had now heard of Bristol City!!, whereas before it was why do you support them??, ( i was living in Virginia Water, Surrey then!).

We were in the First Division!!

Something that you wonder if it will ever be repeated, playing at the top flight!!.

We had a great team of players!!, it was the best time for me as a City fan!!.

Hero's every one of them.

I'd have to go for Gerry Sweeney.

Top Class Defender, especially when playing alongside Norman Hunter.

Lets not forget GEOFF MERRICK a brillant player and captain. I watched him play for the England youth side at Wembley in 1966 versus West Germany. He was captain of England as well and England won 2-1.This was a good omen on what was to happen in the World cup finals of 66.

Archived