IGNORED

Players On Loan - Are They Needed?

samj100

Alot of talk about January and GJ bringing new players to the club, shouldn't a good manager be able to work with what he's got?

I could make a perfectly good side out of the players we own, in my opinion these signings don't improve the starting 11 atall.

Shouldn't GJ be sticking with a side so that they get to know how to play with and for eachother instead of using these loan signings?

I make my point again, shouldn't a good manager be able to work with what he's got?

Alot of talk about January and GJ bringing new players to the club, shouldn't a good manager be able to work with what he's got?

I could make a perfectly good side out of the players we own, in my opinion these signings don't improve the starting 11 atall.

Shouldn't GJ be sticking with a side so that they get to know how to play with and for eachother instead of using these loan signings?

I make my point again, shouldn't a good manager be able to work with what he's got?

The league table never lies :ph34r::ph34r:

agreed, the players are at the club, if the team could go unchanged now until January and get there confidence going (down to GJ and coaching staff) there is no reason why we would not end up midtable+by January. Confidence is the key! get rid of loans unless there is a chance of a contract for them. I think GJ would do best not reading forums or local papers.

I agree totally that the players we have got at present have the quality abd ability to get us out of this position with the right tactics, coaching and leadership. However i think Johnson feels that once the dominoes have started falling its better to build fresh than try and save the falling ones. Johnson believes we need freesh players and to re build. I don't agree with this but he is in charge so he has to do what he feels will get the best results and what he is capable of. I personally would have wanted a manager who would have come in and said we have the ability already at this club and i will get them to use it. Rather than start frash and bring in more new faces.

With regard to the table never lies comment. Yes your right, the players we have now have got us in this position, but was it not millwall who were top of div one at christmas and then managed to get relegated with those same players in the same seaon. Anyway your comment has been noted.

Guest redphilc

We could all pick a side which looks good on paper!! Unfotunatly though the real thing is a little different to playing Championship manager, something which Brian Tinnion soon found out.

Okay IMO.

Not Good enough.

Carey

Woodman

Golbourne(sp?)

J Smith

G Smith

Gillespie

Fortune

don't SEEM to care

Stewart

Phillips (only lately!)

Care about the club.

Murray

Brooker

Wiltshire

Bridges

Haywood

Carey is city through and through and is good enough. Phillips too and he IS a good keeper. agree with the rest of that though

We could all pick a side which looks good on paper!! Unfotunatly though the real thing is a little different to playing Championship manager, something which Brian Tinnion soon found out.

Yes i agree that picking a side always looks better on paper, what I'm saying is that a team sheet with are loan signings is no better than a team sheet with players that we own.

In other words these loan players are no better than what we already have.

Carey is good enough, but he has been p1ss poor this season.

I don't think you can say Golbourne isn't good enough, he is potentially very good and is widely regarded as being better than Hill was at his age (who was a damn good defender for us).

I would still like to see Grant Smith played in central midfield, he hasnt had a chance there- before I can make my mind up about him.

Carey is good enough, but he has been p1ss poor this season.

I don't think you can say Golbourne isn't good enough, he is potentially very good and is widely regarded as being better than Hill was at his age (who was a damn good defender for us).

I would still like to see Grant Smith played in central midfield, he hasnt had a chance there- before I can make my mind up about him.

OK maybe goldbourne is good enough i think that he was thrwon in at the deep end with tinion being so young and being a key part of his first 11. In the main i think young players need to be gradually worked into the side. Gouldbourne was probably not quite at first team level although he did show he has the potential to be there.

Loan him out to make him that 1st team player? Charlton are doing just the same with sankofa.

Well personally from the players that we currently have available (including loans in/out) I would only keep the following:

Philips

Partridge

Heywood

Russell (Has only had two one game and a bit - was nearly Torquays saviour)

Murray (Regaining form)

Bridges

Brooker

Stewart (Has had little service all season)

Cotterill (Definately needs to work on his end product, and learn to pass more)

Wilkshire

Goldbourne

Gillespie

Brown

Skuse

Keogh

Sankofa

Joseph (Looked quite impressive against Swindon)

That is a total of 17 players - 1 Goalkeeper, 6 Defenders, 5 Midfielders, & 5 Strikers (one is Cotterill - can also play midfield if needed).

I haven't included Basso, as I've only seen him play the one game. He didn't look bad (not a lot he could have done for the goals) but looked a bit shaky at times (IMO). I've also not included any reserve/academy players, as I'm not in a position to see many (if any) games.

Could you work with that as a Squad?

Well personally from the players that we currently have available (including loans in/out) I would only keep the following:

Philips

Partridge

Heywood

Murray (Regaining form)

Bridges

Brooker

Wilkshire

Goldbourne

Gillespie

Brown

Skuse

Keogh

Sankofa

That is a total of 17 players - 1 Goalkeeper, 6 Defenders, 5 Midfielders, & 5 Strikers (one is Cotterill - can also play midfield if needed).

I haven't included Basso, as I've only seen him play the one game. He didn't look bad (not a lot he could have done for the goals) but looked a bit shaky at times (IMO). I've also not included any reserve/academy players, as I'm not in a position to see many (if any) games.

So after 1 full game each, you decide that Russell had a better game than Basso?!??!?! :doh::dunno:

So after 1 full game each, you decide that Russell had a better game than Basso?!??!?! :doh::dunno:

Basso played last season at Woking (non league). Russel played at Torquay (in this league). AR according to a few Torquay supporters (who opinions I have read on here previously) almost single handedly kept them up last season (their words not mine).

Ok fair enough, Arsenal trialled Basso, and he supposedly turned down the chance to play for Boca Juniors before coming here, so who knows.

I'll add him in if you like? I don't mind :dunno:

Make that 18 players, 2 of which are goalkeepers then. :shutup:

Philips

Partridge

Heywood

Murray (Regaining form)

Bridges

Brooker

Wilkshire

Goldbourne

Gillespie

Brown

Skuse

Keogh

Sankofa

Yes definately, although i would include carey and woodman (who in recent games has looked a stronger and more agressive player, especially after being dropped that game under GJ)

Apparently there are some good players in the reserves, i watched the FA youth cup V rovers lst week & players tht impresses ws forward Tristan Plummer - a pacey "live wire" potential of a leroy lita, defender Mike Taylor who looks q solid. Frankie Artus (who i have played with and against) did have a slightly quiet game but is a quality player (C Midfielder)

don't be surpreised to see these lads coming into the 1st team some time soon

Apparently there are some good players in the reserves, i watched the FA youth cup V rovers lst week & players tht impresses ws forward Tristan Plummer - a pacey "live wire" potential of a leroy lita, defender Mike Taylor who looks q solid. Frankie Artus (who i have played with and against) did have a slightly quiet game but is a quality player (C Midfielder)

don't be surpreised to see these lads coming into the 1st team some time soon

i hope this is true. look at ipswitch this season. messed up with injuries, and looking shakey, they turned to some youth players who gave the rest of the more jaded looking senior pros a jolt of enthusiasum.

as i mentioned in another thread Elliot Benyon was in the squad the last time we played chesterfield, so maybe we'll see him some time soon. he is definatly the sort of player who marcus stewart could help develop.

Archived