IGNORED

Surely Now It Proves

Pete1975Legend

That Phillips is not as good as most forum users predicted, having witnessed the last few games it is obvious that Basso has as good as credentials as Phillips in goal and he comes out for crosses too. I for one have been very impressed with his start in a city shirt and would be very happy for him to sign a longer term deal.

On Saturday he saved shots like Phillips and Came for crosses unlike Phillips and if he talks a bit more to his defence this guy could be a hell of a keeper.

Anyone disagree?

i still believe that phillips is one, if not the best keeper in this league but i think he felt that he had no competition for places so got a bit complacent.

basso's samba like dives and his "easy, easy easy" claps when he's trying to keep warm make i laugh.

remember phillips wouldnt of played 150odd consecutive games for no reason

That Phillips is not as good as most forum users predicted, having witnessed the last few games it is obvious that Basso has as good as credentials as Phillips in goal and he comes out for crosses too. I for one have been very impressed with his start in a city shirt and would be very happy for him to sign a longer term deal.

On Saturday he saved shots like Phillips and Came for crosses unlike Phillips and if he talks a bit more to his defence this guy could be a hell of a keeper.

Anyone disagree?

I agree. I thought seeing someone who could actually come out and catch crosses would be a big difference. Takes the pressure off our usually poor defence.

Guest Ronmeister

They both have poor communication, but both of their shot stopping is excellent, although I prefer Basso's kicks, Phillips always kicked to the Centre circle instead of into the final third, with Brooker there this will always give us a good chance.

Guest North Street

I agree. I thought seeing someone who could actually come out and catch crosses would be a big difference. Takes the pressure off our usually poor defence.

No Alex the big difference is Heywood and Carey being a settled partnership along with Noble and Russell providing real cover which Wilkshire and Skuse simply do not.The side now has a more robust look to it and is unlikely to fold in the same manner as in the recnent past. Basso has done well but saturday he could have lost the game in the first five minutes due to his flapping. He is certainly not the most verbose of chaps and our two centre halfs both gave him withering looks saturday for not giving them a shout, Basso on a couple of occasions put pressure needlessly on to our defence! Bristol City are now in the position of having two quality keepers for the first time for years and i hope that it willl remain so.

No Alex the big difference is Heywood and Carey being a settled partnership along with Noble and Russell providing real cover which Wilkshire and Skuse simply do not.The side now has a more robust look to it and is unlikely to fold in the same manner as in the recnent past. Basso has done well but saturday he could have lost the game in the first five minutes due to his flapping. He is certainly not the most verbose of chaps and our two centre halfs both gave him withering looks saturday for not giving them a shout, Basso on a couple of occasions put pressure needlessly on to our defence! Bristol City are now in the position of having two quality keepers for the first time for years and i hope that it willl remain so.

I'd rather have 5 minutes of flapping than 85 with Phillips. It's the catching of set pieces etc that makes such a big difference between him and Phillips. But I do agree that Heywood and Carey have been doing well too.

i still believe that phillips is one, if not the best keeper in this league but i think he felt that he had no competition for places so got a bit complacent.

basso's samba like dives and his "easy, easy easy" claps when he's trying to keep warm make i laugh.

remember phillips wouldnt of played 150odd consecutive games for no reason

Phillips played 150 odd consecutive games not because he is good

but rather as you said earlier in your post he didn't have any competition.

It really is hard to believe - City have been well served for the past gour seasons by Phillips, and he was good enough to be in the PFA Team of the Year, as voted for by his fellow Pro's, and yet people still slate him as though he is a butter-fingered buffoon.

Phillips was an excellent Third Division keeper, and Basso has done well, although North Street is probably more accurate in the reason why the keeping has improved. Have your preference, but give full respect to a guy who has served City well, and will hopefully serve us well in future.

Steve Phillips is going to swansea in january anyway. I also understand that we are interested in chris weale.

Whats the point in this comment?!? :disapointed2se:

Don't see any truth in it. I think City will keep Phillips as we have two quality goalies, like what GJ had when at Yeovil in Weale/Collis. Only a matter of time I think till Phillips comes back for a few games when it is evident he is superior in training, then Basso etc...

Don't see any truth in it. I think City will keep Phillips as we have two quality goalies, like what GJ had when at Yeovil in Weale/Collis. Only a matter of time I think till Phillips comes back for a few games when it is evident he is superior in training, then Basso etc...

Is your picture depicting poppies and the cross really appropriate for something as shallow as footaball????????

Is your picture depicting poppies and the cross really appropriate for something as shallow as football????????

It really is hard to believe - City have been well served for the past gour seasons by Phillips, and he was good enough to be in the PFA Team of the Year, as voted for by his fellow Pro's, and yet people still slate him as though he is a butter-fingered buffoon.

Phillips was an excellent Third Division keeper, and Basso has done well, although North Street is probably more accurate in the reason why the keeping has improved. Have your preference, but give full respect to a guy who has served City well, and will hopefully serve us well in future.

Youve got no chance from half of this lot

One can only presume that Phillips played 150 consecutive games because he is rubbish and one of the worst keepers ever to play for the club. Any manager worth his salt, when confronted by a poor player, would make sure they stuck them in for 150 consecutive games wouldn't they? Surely that is logical. I mean, why would you want a good player in the side who could help you succeed at your job when you can play poor players and lose 150 games on the spin (which is what I thought Johnson was trying to do until a fortnight ago!!).

Phillips is a decent, competent keeper, end of story. If he wasn't "any good" he would not have the experience he does in professional football. You may not rate him as your kind of player, that is your opinion, but to infer he isn't any good is about as sensible an opinion as that shared by people who come on this forum and claim that Marvin Brown, with no takers in the Football League upon his release, was the best player since Pele.

Phillips has always been probably the best shot stopper in the league. But his basics are well.............basic, and not very well executed. He needs a first class coach to teach him how to control his defence and when to come/leave crosses.

Basso is not exactly Cech, but I think he is at this moment in time better than Phillips. Competition for places is healthy, and if SP does not like it then perhaps he should 'wake up and smell the coffee' that his god given right for the no 1 shirt is at an end

Phillips should not be sold either, particularly if it is to make way for the Yeovil keeper who is supposed to be a good shot stopper but poor at the more rudimentary skills. :englandsmile4wf:

Is your picture depicting poppies and the cross really appropriate for something as shallow as footaball????????

Is your picture depicting poppies and the cross really appropriate for something as shallow as football????????

I agree entirely, the poppy in that context is to represent those poor souls who gave up their lives so prats like scrumpy could waste their memory on a cow shed

They both have poor communication, but both of their shot stopping is excellent, although I prefer Basso's kicks, Phillips always kicked to the Centre circle instead of into the final third, with Brooker there this will always give us a good chance.

poor communication...you played for city at the back have you??

no didnt think so ..oh i know you must have a radio link. :dunno::dance:

Guest Ronmeister

poor communication...you played for city at the back have you??

no didnt think so ..oh i know you must have a radio link. :dunno::dance:

I think the point on Saturday when Carey kicked it almost out of Basso's hands would kind of hint towards a lack of communication... :dunno:

Guest MaloneFM

At the risk of starting another thread old Uncle Rog was not happy about seeing the poppies and cross thing with REMEBRANCE on it around remembrance sunday.

I whined to a few but some still have it.

Please replace it now. Its an insult.

I'd rather have 5 minutes of flapping than 85 with Phillips. It's the catching of set pieces etc that makes such a big difference between him and Phillips. But I do agree that Heywood and Carey have been doing well too.

Alex bcfc you really don't rate phillips do you, i still say we would not have lost at swindon had phillips been in goal, Basso's catching was first rate on saturday mind!!!!!!!

I would like to see phillips in goal now behind a settled defence, you don't get voted the best keeper in the division and then 2 years later become rubbish.

Alex bcfc you really don't rate phillips do you, i still say we would not have lost at swindon had phillips been in goal, Basso's catching was first rate on saturday mind!!!!!!!

I would like to see phillips in goal now behind a settled defence, you don't get voted the best keeper in the division and then 2 years later become rubbish.

I like Phillips as a person, he is City through and through etc. I like his shot stopping too but that is where my liking ends. He can't catch, kick, command his defence and area. Also I doubt he would have saved either shot at Swindon.

Steve Phillips will not stay at City unless he is guaranteed first team football, he is not prepared to "wait in the wings".

In the circumstances there is every possibility that he will leave when the transfer window opens, it is just a case of who will come in for him, my guess is Notts Forest.

I for one will be sad to see him go., he has been a good servant to the club.

It's a toughy because Phillips is a very good quality keeper who could perform well at a higher level in my opinion (you only had to watch match of the day on Saturday and Mark Crossley in goal for Fulham and I thought we have two keepers better than him!). You also only have to watch MotD to see that keepers at all levels make mistakes. I don't recon Phillips should have been dropped but full marks to Basso for taking his chance. Yet I haven't felt full of confience while watching him so far, I think he lacks Phillips' quality. As for the reason he was dropped I think it was to do with some comments after the Southend match in the dressing room if i read between the lines correctly in the post match interview. After which GJ said somthing like this "there are some people in that dressing room who won't take the criticism I'm giving them, experienced players who have played a lot of gmaes for the club, I won't name names but they should know better". Make of it what you will ...

Sam :city:

so you don't think as i assume you believe SP isnt good enough - wouldn't you have thought we would have tried to sign another goalkeeper??? :doh:

Guest PapaLazarou

you like his kicks!

that sounds like something a 5 year old would say.

idiot

Guest Ronmeister

you like his kicks!

that sounds like something a 5 year old would say.

idiot

I was referring to the fact that his goal kicks are better (and longer) than Phillips'. :)

Archived