IGNORED

Should Phillips Be In Goal Wednesday?

Guest legend1

Guest The Codfather 0312

Yes he should as he is the only fit keeper we have apart from at youth team level. Phillips now has a chance to show Gj that he is worth a starting place every week and he needs to take this opportunity with both hands.

With his current form in mind I also believe it is down to having a new baby as suddenly you are meant to be a mature responsible adult then add on all the sleepless nights and post Natal depression from the misses and maybe Phillips suffered/suffering from post Natal depression. It is becoming very common in men nowadays.

So there are a wide range of reasons with Phillips has made a few mistakes and he needs to work on them with Gj and sort out any problems he may have in his private life.

If Phillips continue to show the attitude he showed then yeh, I would rather see a youth team keeper instead.

What is this "attitude" you talk of? In the past, Steve's attitude has always been very good and he's been one of the hardest workers in the squad.

This injury to Basso should be an opportunity for Steve to reclaim his place in the side. He needs to play out of his skin for the next game(s) and make himself undroppable. If he doesn't do that then I have no problem with Basso coming back in.

If Steve works hard he has the ability to get back in and stay there. If his attitude is really as poor as you suggest then Johnson will drop him as soon as Basso is back.

in response to the original post, exactly what else should we do? Presumably chuck in a 16 year old kid, after all, it's hardly an important game is it?!? If Basso is unfit, Steve should play, we should back him fully, and hopefully, he can put in a First Class display (As he normally does!), and give GJ a selection headache.

Guest The Codfather 0312

Yes Steve Brooker usually does put in a first class display but sorry mate we're talking about Phillips and the goalkeeping situation.

Phills just isn't good enough, simple.

But Phillips is all we have at the moment, Players don't become bad over night especially a player of Phillips ability so there obviously other factors involved here. It was pure bad luck today and lack of preperation for why he made that mistake. He wouldn't of sat down and watch a vid of the gills like Basso would of done as he wasn't expected to be playing.

Phillips has saved us on many occasions in the past and I bet you were one of the people singing "englands number one" when he has saved a few vital shots. Give him a chance V Rotherham and show encouragement towards him.

So, presumably his fellow Pro's know nothing about football? They just randomly vote for the Team of the Year do they? Get real!

Not as much as me, I watch him 40 times a season, they play against him twice.

Codfather, I have never rated him massively, yes he's had good seasons, I've never denied that but I'm talking about now, not over his 10 year career, like all his fans do.

What is this "attitude" you talk of? In the past, Steve's attitude has always been very good and he's been one of the hardest workers in the squad.

Its his reaction to be being dropped that reveals his poor attitude.Its almost as if Phillips had considred the goalkeeping spot to his own largely because he's had no competition for ages.As soon as a serious rival comes in and his weaknesses are revealed he can't handle it.

This injury to Basso should be an opportunity for Steve to reclaim his place in the side. He needs to play out of his skin for the next game(s) and make himself undroppable. If he doesn't do that then I have no problem with Basso coming back in.

Phillips won't make the most of it because he's been weak in so many area's for so long that he won't work on them.He'll never command his box and catch crosses because he never has and you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

If Steve works hard he has the ability to get back in and stay there. If his attitude is really as poor as you suggest then Johnson will drop him as soon as Basso is back.

Spot on. Basso will be back in goal as soon as he's fit unless Phillips can show that he's developed an all round game before then - and that ain't likely.

Guest The Codfather 0312
Pointless debate, as Phillips WILL play on Wednesday. What happens after that depends on how he does, he needs to make himself 'undropable'.

I think you have summed up the whole thread in two sentaces.

Archived