IGNORED

Ratings For Tonight V Rotherham

James M

Simple concept for a thread, innit. Argue away, or make your own ratings.

Mine:

Basso 8 - pretty solid overall. 2 outstanding saves, 1 in either half, but coming to collect the ball looked a bit unconvincing

Orr 6 - average. Made a few decent tackles and runs, but his distribution was fairly off, especially 2nd half.

Woodman 6 - decent performance, some good tackles. could've done with getting forward and crossing a bit more imo.

Heywood 7 - solid. a good block in the 2nd half, and just generally decent at the back. perhaps should've helped out from corners a bit more, but no complaints

Carey 6 - similar to heywood, but i can't think of him doing anything bar a headed clearance in the first half.

Cotterill 8 Awesome from him. his runs were great, and it just needed him to take the chance at the start of the 2nd half to get a goal he deserved.

Murray 8 - I love murray anyway, been a staunch supporter of him, and he delivered yet again today. great runs, great goal.

Noble 5 - what a meh performance. poor passing, unnoticable tackling. was he even there?

Russell 5 - read above. the centre of our midfield was poor today. not outclassed, but it lacked any edge

Brooker 9 (MOTM) - just deserved a hattrick. so awesome today. the goals, the dribbles, everything. i could literally write an essay about the good things he did today. don't ever leave stevie.

Savage 10 - I say 10 for mere COMEDY value. He was really a 3. This player has a touch that makes Drogba look like Zidane, just so pathetically poor. He looks so uncoordinated running, jumping, breathing.

Subs: none made a massive impact.

Referee 1 - what a total retard. completely rubbish, clueless, mongified. i hope instead of going home in a car, some people in a white van put a straightjacket over him and took him to a mental home. what was he doing?

Fans 9 - Was in the Dolman block B, and we get a 4 for the first half, but about 12098310283 for the 2nd. What an awesome atmosphere after the break. i could barely here anything after the first few minutes in the first half, but the 2nd half was just constant noise. it was great, exactly how football should be, so massive kudos, and keep it up

COME ON YOU REDS.

Simple concept for a thread, innit. Argue away, or make your own ratings.

Mine:

Basso 8 - pretty solid overall. 2 outstanding saves, 1 in either half, but coming to collect the ball looked a bit unconvincing

Orr 6 - average. Made a few decent tackles and runs, but his distribution was fairly off, especially 2nd half.

Woodman 6 - decent performance, some good tackles. could've done with getting forward and crossing a bit more imo.

Heywood 7 - solid. a good block in the 2nd half, and just generally decent at the back. perhaps should've helped out from corners a bit more, but no complaints

Carey 6 - similar to heywood, but i can't think of him doing anything bar a headed clearance in the first half.

Cotterill 8 Awesome from him. his runs were great, and it just needed him to take the chance at the start of the 2nd half to get a goal he deserved.

Murray 8 - I love murray anyway, been a staunch supporter of him, and he delivered yet again today. great runs, great goal.

Noble 5 - what a meh performance. poor passing, unnoticable tackling. was he even there?

Russell 5 - read above. the centre of our midfield was poor today. not outclassed, but it lacked any edge

Brooker 9 (MOTM) - just deserved a hattrick. so awesome today. the goals, the dribbles, everything. i could literally write an essay about the good things he did today. don't ever leave stevie.

Savage 10 - I say 10 for mere COMEDY value. He was really a 3. This player has a touch that makes Drogba look like Zidane, just so pathetically poor. He looks so uncoordinated running, jumping, breathing.

Subs: none made a massive impact.

Referee 1 - what a total retard. completely rubbish, clueless, mongified. i hope instead of going home in a car, some people in a white van put a straightjacket over him and took him to a mental home. what was he doing?

Fans 9 - Was in the Dolman block B, and we get a 4 for the first half, but about 12098310283 for the 2nd. What an awesome atmosphere after the break. i could barely here anything after the first few minutes in the first half, but the 2nd half was just constant noise. it was great, exactly how football should be, so massive kudos, and keep it up

COME ON YOU REDS.

I disagree on three points. I thought Cotterill looked very lightweight and ordinary tonight, and would have taken him off mid way through the second half for Wilkshire.

Also I thought Russell was outstanding. His through balls are what we have lacking since Tinman retired and his bite in midfield was awesome.

Finally Baz. Yes, he looks a bit awkward and cumbersome at times, but this guy can play. Tonight he was a great foil for Brooker, and some of his groundplay was remarkable for a big guy. He well deserved his ovation when he was replaced by Stewart.

have done mate.

I disagree on three points. I thought Cotterill looked very lightweight and ordinary tonight, and would have taken him off mid way through the second half for Wilkshire.

Also I thought Russell was outstanding. His through balls are what we have lacking since Tinman retired and his bite in midfield was awesome.

Finally Baz. Yes, he looks a bit awkward and cumbersome at times, but this guy can play. Tonight he was a great foil for Brooker, and some of his groundplay was remarkable for a big guy. He well deserved his ovation when he was replaced by Stewart.

Cotterill: he is lightweight, that's just his build and such, you can't expect him to power past men, but he certainly got through with pace and skills tonight, his nutmeg in the first half was ace.

Russell: seriously, what through balls? I can think of one to cotterill in the first half, but he rarely had the ball. I know he's a very good player, just had an off night i think

Baz: i can't comeback to that, i really thought he was abysmal, and from where i was at least, the cheer was for him going off, not due to his performance.

• Admin

Russell: seriously, what through balls? I can think of one to cotterill in the first half, but he rarely had the ball. I know he's a very good player, just had an off night i think

You do realise he also set up Brooker's second?

Re: you giving both central midfielders "5"..... games are won and lost in central midfield and on the back of us winning 3-1 (and not exactly "undeserved"), they must have done something right. They basically held their shape, put a foot in when needed and played simple balls to the forwards and wingers plus the odd through ball. Exactly what I want to see from a central midfielder.

You do realise he also set up Brooker's second?

Re: you giving both central midfielders "5"..... games are won and lost in central midfield and on the back of us winning 3-1 (and not exactly "undeserved"), they must have done something right. They basically held their shape, put a foot in when needed and played simple balls to the forwards and wingers plus the odd through ball. Exactly what I want to see from a central midfielder.

Completely agree with Madger. I think the key phrase is "held their shape". Somehow, despite only playing a few games together, they seem to know when the other player will drop off or go for the tackle. They are the reason our early season dire defence is starting to look stronger. However, I'm still concerned that Woodman is very suspect in the air. Once again we conceded to a header at the far post that Woodman should have been defending.

Also, did anyone else notice how Wilkshire and Stewart started playing 10 yard one-twos, triangles etc and for a while some of our other players caught the bug (the bug otherwise known as "proper football"). I wouldn't start with either Wilkshire or Stewart whilst we're in a relegation dogfight but it's good to know we have quality players to call on if need be.

• Admin

Completely agree with Madger. I think the key phrase is "held their shape". Somehow, despite only playing a few games together, they seem to know when the other player will drop off or go for the tackle. They are the reason our early season dire defence is starting to look stronger.

A good example of their "shape holding" was in the second half when Russell went in for a sliding tackle and didn't win the ball. he could have just lamented on having given it a good go, but rushed to his feet and got goal-side of the Rotherham player and blocked his route on goal, forcing him into playing a sideways pass where Noble nipped in and poked the ball out to Savage.

However, I'm still concerned that Woodman is very suspect in the air. Once again we conceded to a header at the far post that Woodman should have been defending.

I'm not totally convinced by either of our full-backs (although there were signs again today that Orr is growing into the role) but at present I wouldn't touch the defence as 3 goals conceded in 5 games is probably our best run of the season defensively. (I cannot be assed to look it up though)

Also, did anyone else notice how Wilkshire and Stewart started playing 10 yard one-twos, triangles etc and for a while some of our other players caught the bug (the bug otherwise known as "proper football"). I wouldn't start with either Wilkshire or Stewart whilst we're in a relegation dogfight but it's good to know we have quality players to call on if need be.

To be fair, if these players get us out of relegation trouble then it'd be a bit rough to drop them once they achieve it. If Wilkshire and Stewart are good enough then they shouldn't have (helped) get us into this position in the first place. (With Wilkshire out of contract in the Summer....) If offers come in in January for either of these two I wouldn't be too disappointed to see them leave.

Some people seem to go to games with fixed preconceptions of certain players and refuse to change their views no matter what they do. Savage is not a skillful player, but he is very adept at doing certain things. He holds the ball up well, lays it off well and has a good awareness of what is going on around him. When it comes to showing quick feet or winning headers, he's not the best, but when he does the other stuff as effectively as he did tonight, it makes us a very good unit up front and Rotherham really struggled to contain him.

Savage did a good job tonight. I know that's only one opinion, but anyone who thinks otherwise clearly has little clue about what football at this level is really about.

• Admin

Some people seem to go to games with fixed preconceptions of certain players and refuse to change their views no matter what they do. Savage is not a skillful player, but he is very adept at doing certain things. He holds the ball up well, lays it off well and has a good awareness of what is going on around him. When it comes to showing quick feet or winning headers, he's not the best, but when he does the other stuff as effectively as he did tonight, it makes us a very good unit up front and Rotherham really struggled to contain him.

Savage did a good job tonight. I know that's only one opinion, but anyone who thinks otherwise clearly has little clue about what football at this level is really about.

Not to mention the way he took his marker away from goal in order for Murray to be clear to put us ahead again at 2-1 :dance:

Completely agree with Madger. I think the key phrase is "held their shape". Somehow, despite only playing a few games together, they seem to know when the other player will drop off or go for the tackle. They are the reason our early season dire defence is starting to look stronger. However, I'm still concerned that Woodman is very suspect in the air. Once again we conceded to a header at the far post that Woodman should have been defending.

Amen to all of that!

Three reasons for our turnaround in form IMO are:

1. A proper central midfield partnership who - as the guys say above - hold their shape, plus can move the ball well and can put in a tackle when needed.

2. Playing probably our best four defenders in a settled back 4. No more recyling of Keogh, Patridge, those blokes we got on loan, etc... I don't rate Heywood (think he is a 5'10" bloke disguised as a 6'3" bloke), but he is mid-table division 1 quality, which is where we need to be!

3. Bas Savage at last providing a foil for Brooker, and giving us new options in attack.

No idea which of these is the greatest factor - but do know they all came together at the same time, and since then we look like a midtable/playoff chasing side.

My ratings:

Basso: 7

Woodman: 7

Carey: 7

Heywood: 6 (1st goal his fault)

Orr: 8

Cotrill: 6

Russell: 7

Noble: 8

Murray: 9

Savage: 8

Brooker: 10

A good example of their "shape holding" was in the second half when Russell went in for a sliding tackle and didn't win the ball. he could have just lamented on having given it a good go, but rushed to his feet and got goal-side of the Rotherham player and blocked his route on goal, forcing him into playing a sideways pass where Noble nipped in and poked the ball out to Savage.

I thought that our midfield was the weakest area last night but they are doing something that a city midfield hasn't done for a long time and that is working together and defending as a unit. On occassions their passing was off and the tackles were not good enough (and far too many fouls conceeded near our box by russell) but they worked together. As you said when one was beaten the other was close enough to help.

What I would like to see them doing more of is watching the midfield runners and for Russell to stay on his feet when challening for the ball.

The potential for this partnership is there and hopefully will keep on improving.

Also I thought Orr had one of his best games for city. Stood up in the tackle, watched his man well, defended positively and (shock horror) looked decent on the ball. It was good to see him going inside of cotterill for the 2nd goal and the cross after that goal was an absolute gem!

Archived