IGNORED

Don't Think We Can Make Play-offs

PhatWill

If we take 4 points from our next 2 games (which is a reasonable guess) then we will be left on 30 points with 20 games left to play.

Now, I think that the points total needed for a play-off place this year will for the second season running be very low. Probably somewhere between 70-72 points.

That would still leave us needing 40+ points from our remaining 20 games.

Realistically then, we'd have to win at least a dozen of our remaining 20 matches and pick up some draws, losing probably 3/4 games maximum.

We're running out of home games to rely on as well - after Walsall just 9 to go. We'd have to win at least 8 of those I reckon!

So, all in all, let's just secure our place in this league and build for next seasons promotion push!

:rofl2br: i love this forum! 3 weeks ago people was saying we are down and GJ ant the right man for the job! now we are going up :grr:

I will settle for midtable and build for next season

And they say we're fickle!

Gary Johnson's duty is to steer us towards a top half finish. Next season the expectations are higher, and that's when we should contemplate promotion. Nowt wrong with optomism though.

if we take max points in the next two(yeovil, wallsall) then we should start taking a look above us, cause we've got a convenient 12 day break followed by three games in seven days (scunny, colchester, blackpool). these three will then become key, and if we win them, playoffs are possible.

but all this requires SIX wins on the bounce, aided only by a 12 day break. plus if we're bedding in any new signings there is bound to be an adjustment period.

:city: We still have the quality to do well in this division and as corals have just given me 18/1 on city winning the playoffs then i think my 20 on sixth place will do my summer hols nicely!!! Brooker stays fit a goal score comes in next month and basso keeps flying around i'm sure we're capable!!! :pray:

At the moment we are 10pts down on the same stage last season.If we win our next 2 that would put us only 8 pts down.

last season comparison.

end of jan 44pts

end of feb 52pts

end of march59 pts

end of season 70pts

after monday we have 20 games left.

Last season last 21 games won 8

drawn 7

lost 6

total31 pts

make your own mind up as to our fate this season.

Mid table seems the most likely and I'd certainly take that. However, it's not impossible to see City going on a long winning run in the new year - much as it's not impossible to see them going on another losing run.

The fact is that while mid table is the most likely finish, we could still finish anywhere and this will have been an exciting season whatever happens!

If we take 4 points from our next 2 games (which is a reasonable guess) then we will be left on 30 points with 20 games left to play.

Now, I think that the points total needed for a play-off place this year will for the second season running be very low. Probably somewhere between 70-72 points.

That would still leave us needing 40+ points from our remaining 20 games.

Realistically then, we'd have to win at least a dozen of our remaining 20 matches and pick up some draws, losing probably 3/4 games maximum.

We're running out of home games to rely on as well - after Walsall just 9 to go. We'd have to win at least 8 of those I reckon!

So, all in all, let's just secure our place in this league and build for next seasons promotion push!

Have a go on this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...tor/default.stm :pray:

• Admin

Remember Crystal Palace, on Boxing Day 2003 they were 20th in the table with stats of

H 3 5 5

A 4 2 6

GD-11 and 28 points.

On the last day of the season (after a 2-1 defeat) they were 6th with

H 10 8 5

A 11 2 10

GD+11 and 73 points.

They then won the play-offs and gained promotion to the Prem.

I wouldn't bet my house on City doing it, but it can be done...................

According to my predictions after the next two games we'll be 17th (Yoevil draw, then home win v Walsall) and we'll be 9 points off Chessie in sixth. That's a pretty impressive state of play considering our plight a month ago.

Maybe I still believe after all!

Strangely, according to my predictions, Swindon remained rock bottom after tough games with Swansea and Hartlepool. Poor Piggies.

So, I was right - 30 points on the board with 20 games to go.

An average of 2 points per game will give us 70 points.

If I were GJ I would be making the players know this fact and saying to them - that's your aim for now until the end of the season.

It may not get us into the play-offs, but to achive 70 points from the position we were in before Johnson took over would be quite amazing and very unexpected in my opinion.

70 points is exactly what Tinnion achieved last season and now its seen as an achievable goal for this season ....... :dunno:

Tinnion did not achieve 70 points last season, Leroy Lita did.

This season, when Johnson took over a bunch of players who ruled this club we had 7 points from 9 games.

I, as many other City fans maintain, am willing to pay the price of 7 league defeats in order for Johnson to have got in players that put in 100% and get results.

You're looking in the short-term and seem to be blinkered by one bad run of form.

Do injuries, suspensions, bad refereeing, appauling discipline in Bristol city centre mean nothing to you?

:rofl2br: i love this forum! 3 weeks ago people was saying we are down and GJ ant the right man for the job! now we are going up :grr:

I will settle for midtable and build for next season

that maybe because then we had lost 9 games on the bounce and at one point we were bottom of the league,

But now we have a 6 game unbeaten run, and the league is very very close all of a sudden, and we have seemed to have found our strongest team.

Nowt wrong with this forum, every fan amongst any team will be reacting the same mate.

Tinnion did not achieve 70 points last season, Leroy Lita did.

And who selected Lita, gave him his chance and stuck with him after he'd not even got onto he bench at the Millenium under Wilson?

I, as many other City fans maintain, am willing to pay the price of 7 league defeats in order for Johnson to have got in players that put in 100% and get results.

There are also many fans who think 7 league defeats was too heavy a price.After all City's only chance of any excitement over the next 20 games is the possibilty of a relegation battle.

You're looking in the short-term and seem to be blinkered by one bad run of form.

And 7 points from 9 games wasn't a bad run of form? If Johnson had got just 5 points from those 7 defeats then City would still be with a shout of the play offs.

Do injuries, suspensions, bad refereeing, appauling discipline in Bristol city centre mean nothing to you?

Look at the players that played at Swansea - because of injuries and suspensions not because they were first choice.

Guest Harry Dolman

70 points is exactly what Tinnion achieved last season and now its seen as an achievable goal for this season ....... :dunno:

The difference, Tinnion took over a team that had finished 3rd two years running. He then helped them finish 7th - thats regression (although personally, for a rookie manager I thought it an ok return).

He then got rid of the elements of the squad he didn't want & got his own team in. When he left they were 2nd bottom - thats serious regression.

If we finish anywhere above the drop zone, then Johnson will have achived progress - in must peoples eyes progress = good, regression = bad.

You need to look at the longterm picture, when Johnson took over most people said survival was the limit of their ambition. If someone would have said to me that by early Jan we will be a few points clear of the relegation zone & playing the best football since the "Murray season" a while back then I would have snatched their hand off.

The debate about the handgrenade is getting dull & is ultimately futile - who knows if Carey or Woodman would have started playing well had they not been dropped ??? The truth is that none of us know & whilst about 6 weeks ago it was apparently well known that Johnson had "lost" the dressing room.......... he certainly seems to have retained it now.

The only real difference between our winning and losing run is our Midfield pairing. If we lose one of them, then I think a massive slump will be in order. Skuse, Wilkshire and Brown have all proved to me that they aren't good enough in the middle.

Keep Russell and Noble fit, or bring in adequate back up and I think our decent form can continue.

We are playing better more objective football now under Johnson, and when we win games it looks a lot more comfortable than when we were winning under Tinnion. We now actually look capable of forcing our way to goal rather than lumping the ball high and seeing what happens.

If we are to have any chance of keeping our run going we need to keep the midfield fit, or get in decent cover.

Archived