IGNORED

Download 2006

bucksred

Who are these people? Never heard of any of them...... where are my slippers, my Worther's originals, my cardigan? :(

Like the East End, the answer my friend is blowing in the wind...................... :blink:

MCR = quality.

don't think much of the cds- they may be better live.

Rubbish

Go on you old "mod" you may just enjoy yerself instead of all that depressing Jam stuff :whistle:

Metallica, My Chemical Romance, Trivium, and the Prodigy

Trivium look good. The rest...................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Not a bad lineup so far, Metallica are still good despite St Anger being cack. Trivium are pretty good, but still a poor mans In Flames, Prodigy are very good, more of a Reading act though, the less said about MCR the better.

May go to download this year, but if it turns out that the rumours are true and Tool are going to be playing Reading then **** download :D

Not a bad lineup so far, Metallica are still good despite St Anger being cack. Trivium are pretty good, but still a poor mans In Flames, Prodigy are very good, more of a Reading act though, the less said about MCR the better.

May go to download this year, but if it turns out that the rumours are true and Tool are going to be playing Reading then **** download :D

Spud, reckon Reading will be be all Britpop- Artic monkies, Kasiabian, Razorlight, gorillaz...don't reckon there will be any metal there.

Tool MAY play Download, aint they toured wi Metallica in the USA?

Spud, reckon Reading will be be all Britpop- Artic monkies, Kasiabian, Razorlight, gorillaz...don't reckon there will be any metal there.

Tool MAY play Download, aint they toured wi Metallica in the USA?

There should be some metal on the sunday at least, as that has always been the heaviest of the three days, if they don't get at least a few metal acts then it will not do well, as lets face it for more brit-pop style music Glasto is so much better than Reading in every way possible, the only reason reading got big was because of the demise of the donnington festivals like the monsters of Rock, which left an open gap which reading exploited. But the lineups have been getting steadily worse over the years, last year was a shocker, Iron Maiden being pretty much the only descent band there.

Tool haven't toured since Lateralus, the new album is finished and is due sometime around may accoridng to maynard, it's been five long years but it should be worth the wait, just like with Teeth was worth every single second of the 5 years that trent took with it.

I'd love to see them go old school style with Donnington at least once, that would be awesome, before some of the bands dissapear. How cool would that be ? a weekend history of metal. I know i'm dreaming but immagine having the three most influential metal bands headlinging the three days, Ozzy (as he started it all, sabbath were the first metal band) Judas Priest (just generally awesome Metal as it should be) and Iron Maiden (arguably the most influential metal band of all time, although they themselfs were influenced by their slightly earlier contemparies Judas Priest). Then pull out some of the best matal bands to come since, Metallica (even they couldn't begrudge playing under any of the other 3 acts, as they owe their very existance to the likes of priest and the NWBHM like Maiden) Slayer etc, Grab bands from the other sub genres, get some grunge there, Pearl Jam, Jerry Cantrell (alice in chains), get some good 90's metal there, Fear Factory, Sepultura/Soul fly, Machinehead, get some really heavy stuff, like in Flames, Opeth get Mike patton there as he is just awesome, nice bit of Tool would go down well too.

Even bung in some nu metal if you like, and some Emo to get a few of the little kiddies to go. Make them see that when i sit there saying that their favourite emo band play simplistic crap, it's not because i don't like it it's because when you compare that to Adrian and Dave from Maiden ripping through a solo in perfect time together, or swapping playing a solo half way through, hearing dimebag play the solo off The Sleep on cowboys from hell,or hearing Mikael Akkerfeld go from sickeningly heavy death metal vocals in one second to vocals that would not be out of place in any church choir on this planet, or hearing phill Anselmo sing with the sheer anger that only he can, or hearing Danny Carey bang out some of the most complex drum work immaginable. That MCR are just banging out a few power chords with whiney screachy vocals, and people wonder why i think they are gash :blink: Or people who think Trivium are the best thing since sliced bread (i like them and they are good) but just listen to Come Clarity, In flames new album and it is instantly obvious where Trivium get their style from and In Flames simply do it better.

It pains me to say it but Metal is dieing, not because it is becoming unpopular but it's popularity is strangling the life out of it, it's all the same now with a few exceptions but not enough. When i started listening to metal 11 or so yars ago now, there was not only the wealth of music already about, but some bands were coming into thier prime, not long before Sepultura had released Chaos AD (their defining album) and were about to release Roots, Fear Factory had released the interesting Soul of a new Machine and were about to follow with one of my personal favourite metal albums Demanufacture. Machinehead were releasing a debut album which made me sit up and think "wow" after hearing Burn My Eyes for the first time. Marilyn Manson was actually good, and not so far up his own arse he can see what he had for breakfast. There were a flood of new bands that kept it interesting and were banging out some damn good music. The last debut album that made me sit up and take note was SOAD, which was 8 years ago now.

If i was in that position now, being 11, not realy knowing anything about the genre in general, i don't think i would be able to get into Metal, because i relied so heavily on the new bandscoming out at the time to find what i liked, i just don't think i could do that now. I don't think there is enough diversity in new artists now, i bought some seriously cack albums in my early ventures into the world of metal, but it was all part of the learning process, now there is so much new stuff that all sounds the same that it's not easy to find what you like unless you know what you are looking for, even i struggle at times now to find good metal, except from bands i know.

Metal has given me so many memories that i will never forget, like te feeling of being in a crowd of people going mental for the first time when i was 13 seeing Biohazard, or stomping around like a nutter hearing Pantera tear through their songs at Ozzfest, seeing an crowd calm and then just burst into complete carnage when Fear Factory kicked into Shock when i saw them in 97 or so, or the sheer presence of seeing NiN Last july, i have never felt anything like the feeling of hearing Hurt Live, and the feeling i know i will get when i see Tool when they tour. The music has been with me through both good, bad, great, poo and indifferent times, and it just pisses me off that the last metal album of a completely new band i bought was Triviums album, and the rest of the time i'm finding bands that have been around for ages, or just the steady stream of new releases from bands i have been listening to for years.

The good new music i have been buying at the moment is not in the metal Genre, there is some stunning Drum and Bass coming out at the moment, Dj shadow is coming out with some incredible trip-hop, but i deerly want to be buying great new metal albums, it's my favourite music and one that is very dear to me (well i suppose it has to when i have about 1,800 quids worth of metal albums) but i jsut can't find them :(

Anyway that was a random and pointless rant, but it was fun :D If anyone made it this far umm cheers.

MCR have NOT been annuonced for Download. The only bands confirmed so far are Metallica, Prodigy, Bullet For My Valentine and Trivium. Deftones have apparently self confirmed. The next big announcement is this wednesday apparently.

Your right got MCR confuzzed. Wont rush if Deftones are playing................

Kerrang confirms Deftones, Korn and Clutch added to Metallica, Prodigy, Trivium and BFMV.

Nibor

Cheers Nibor, wondered why Kerrang sold out.......... baggy @ssed metal there this year. *Yawn* I just saved the money for that gig.Hope Raading is better, cos I don't fancy Beep Durple/ Malice Hooper either.

Clutch are good though.

Metallica suck live too...... and yes I have their cds bar St Anger, that got binned.

cue abuse from the baggy @ssed brigade...Dilligaf, :laugh: kiddie winks?...............I think not. :w00t:

Cheers Nibor, wondered why Kerrang sold out.......... baggy @ssed metal there this year. *Yawn* I just saved the money for that gig.Hope Raading is better, cos I don't fancy Beep Durple/ Malice Hooper either.

Clutch are good though.

Metallica suck live too...... and yes I have their cds bar St Anger, that got binned.

cue abuse from the baggy @ssed brigade...Dilligaf, :laugh: kiddie winks?...............I think not. :w00t:

No they don't - but you are entitled to your opinion :laugh:

And yes, Kerrang have sold out, its the new Smash Hits!

Don't fancy the Foo Fighters/Motorhead at Hyde Park then?

No they don't - but you are entitled to your opinion :laugh:

And yes, Kerrang have sold out, its the new Smash Hits!

Don't fancy the Foo Fighters/Motorhead at Hyde Park then?

Didnt cos of prices in London, but yes I now have tickets to it, QTSA also on the bill there, and (I belive) 2 more bands to be added

Love the joke about Kerrang, :laugh::laugh: sadly most of us only buy it fer gig dates, prefer Hammer & Classic Rock meself :rolleyes:

Anyone else goin to Hyde Park? :dunno:

Might go to Hyde Park to see Lemmy, but won't bother with Download, although I still think Metallica are good live.

If you wait until Oct/Nov Maiden will be out on the prowl, on the back of the new album, they're just about to make a start on.

Just got the new "Death On The Road" DVD,and I can honestly say in my humble opinion, it's the greatest Maiden one to date, bloody awesome.......but then I would wouldn't I ?

Still awaiting AC/DC's long awaited return, as they're supposed to be releasing a new album this year, and expecting a tour.

Of the newer bands, the best one I've seen live of late, Dragonforce, as they realy tear it loose live, bless 'em!

Long live rock'n'roll !

There should be some metal on the sunday at least, as that has always been the heaviest of the three days, if they don't get at least a few metal acts then it will not do well, as lets face it for more brit-pop style music Glasto is so much better than Reading in every way possible, the only reason reading got big was because of the demise of the donnington festivals like the monsters of Rock, which left an open gap which reading exploited. But the lineups have been getting steadily worse over the years, last year was a shocker, Iron Maiden being pretty much the only descent band there.

Tool haven't toured since Lateralus, the new album is finished and is due sometime around may accoridng to maynard, it's been five long years but it should be worth the wait, just like with Teeth was worth every single second of the 5 years that trent took with it.

I'd love to see them go old school style with Donnington at least once, that would be awesome, before some of the bands dissapear. How cool would that be ? a weekend history of metal. I know i'm dreaming but immagine having the three most influential metal bands headlinging the three days, Ozzy (as he started it all, sabbath were the first metal band) Judas Priest (just generally awesome Metal as it should be) and Iron Maiden (arguably the most influential metal band of all time, although they themselfs were influenced by their slightly earlier contemparies Judas Priest). Then pull out some of the best matal bands to come since, Metallica (even they couldn't begrudge playing under any of the other 3 acts, as they owe their very existance to the likes of priest and the NWBHM like Maiden) Slayer etc, Grab bands from the other sub

genres, get some grunge there, Pearl Jam, Jerry Cantrell (alice in chains), get some good 90's metal there,

Fear Factory, Sepultura/Soul fly, Machinehead, get some really heavy stuff, like in Flames, Opeth get Mike patton there as he is just awesome, nice bit of Tool would go down well too.

Even bung in some nu metal if you like, and some Emo to get a few of the little kiddies to go. Make them see that when i sit there saying that their favourite emo band play simplistic crap, it's not because i don't like it it's because when you compare that to Adrian and Dave from Maiden ripping through a solo in perfect time together, or swapping playing a solo half way through, hearing dimebag play the solo off The Sleep on cowboys from hell,or hearing Mikael Akkerfeld go from sickeningly heavy death metal vocals in one second to vocals that would not be out of place in any church choir on this planet, or hearing phill Anselmo sing with the sheer anger that only he can, or hearing Danny Carey bang out some of the most complex drum work immaginable. That MCR are just banging out a few power chords with whiney screachy vocals, and people wonder why i think they are gash :blink: Or people who think Trivium are the best thing since sliced bread (i like them and they are good) but just listen to Come Clarity, In flames new album and it is instantly obvious where Trivium get their style from and In Flames simply do it better.

It pains me to say it but Metal is dieing, not because it is becoming unpopular but it's popularity is strangling the life out of it, it's all the same now with a few exceptions but not enough. When i started listening to metal 11 or so yars ago now, there was not only the wealth of music already about, but some bands were coming into thier prime, not long before Sepultura had released Chaos AD (their defining album) and were about to release Roots, Fear Factory had released the interesting Soul of a new Machine and were about to follow with one of my personal favourite metal albums Demanufacture. Machinehead were releasing a debut album which made me sit up and think "wow" after hearing Burn My Eyes for the first time. Marilyn Manson was actually good, and not so far up his own arse he can see what he had for breakfast. There were a flood of new bands that kept it interesting and were banging out some damn good music. The last debut album that made me sit up and take note was SOAD, which was 8 years ago now.

If i was in that position now, being 11, not realy knowing anything about the genre in general, i don't think i would be able to get into Metal, because i relied so heavily on the new bandscoming out at the time to find what i liked, i just don't think i could do that now. I don't think there is enough diversity in new artists now, i bought some seriously cack albums in my early ventures into the world of metal, but it was all part of the learning process, now there is so much new stuff that all sounds the same that it's not easy to find what you like unless you know what you are looking for, even i struggle at times now to find good metal, except from bands i know.

Metal has given me so many memories that i will never forget, like te feeling of being in a crowd of people going mental for the first time when i was 13 seeing Biohazard, or stomping around like a nutter hearing Pantera tear through their songs at Ozzfest, seeing an crowd calm and then just burst into complete carnage when Fear Factory kicked into Shock when i saw them in 97 or so, or the sheer presence of seeing NiN Last july, i have never felt anything like the feeling of hearing Hurt Live, and the feeling i know i will get when i see Tool when they tour. The music has been with me through both good, bad, great, poo and indifferent times, and it just pisses me off that the last metal album of a completely new band i bought was Triviums album, and the rest of the time i'm finding bands that have been around for ages, or just the steady stream of new releases from bands i have been listening to for years.

The good new music i have been buying at the moment is not in the metal Genre, there is some stunning Drum and Bass coming out at the moment, Dj shadow is coming out with some incredible trip-hop, but i deerly want to be buying great new metal albums, it's my favourite music and one that is very dear to me (well i suppose it has to when i have about 1,800 quids worth of metal albums) but i jsut can't find them :(

Anyway that was a random and pointless rant, but it was fun :D If anyone made it this far umm cheers.

Say WHAT !!!1

Might go to Hyde Park to see Lemmy, but won't bother with Download, although I still think Metallica are good live.

If you wait until Oct/Nov Maiden will be out on the prowl, on the back of the new album, they're just about to make a start on.

Just got the new "Death On The Road" DVD,and I can honestly say in my humble opinion, it's the greatest Maiden one to date, bloody awesome.......but then I would wouldn't I ?

Still awaiting AC/DC's long awaited return, as they're supposed to be releasing a new album this year, and expecting a tour.

Of the newer bands, the best one I've seen live of late, Dragonforce, as they realy tear it loose live, bless 'em!

Long live rock'n'roll !

Purgatory: d'you have any probs with the DVD, cos loads including me have?

Dragonforce are the nads saw em in Oxford a month ago, but Tokyo Dragons, The Answer and the Glitterati are the biz too, and for those of ya based up Bucks/Beds/Herts/London there is an ace band called Red Star Rebels who SERIOUSLY kick @ss!! Check em out if you get a chance.

AC/DC album, and Maidens to due in the autumn.........touring next summer? Download/Monsters Of Rock headliners? :rolleyes::laugh:

Metallica, past their sell by date these days. Trying to keep credible with the kidz. The last album was utter excrement....dunno anyone who DOES like it.

The D.O.T.R. DVD has a problem only on the stereo version of the two recordings.

If you play the Dolby 5.1 it's absolutely perfect, evidently most copies have the same problem.

Mr Harris is said to be less than happy.... blame those bloody Danes again, as that's where it was pressed. :rolleyes:

Look out for a few shows this December in the U.K. I hear.......... :whistle:

Red Star Rebels ?

Who's that ????? Tommy D.Coles Phillips . haha!

I get Classic Rock too, and have heard some of them on the freebie cd, some good stuff to be sure.

Went to see Larry Miller again last Saturday, he's 'kin excellent, and can sure play his banjo !

The D.O.T.R. DVD has a problem only on the stereo version of the two recordings.

If you play the Dolby 5.1 it's absolutely perfect, evidently most copies have the same problem.

Mr Harris is said to be less than happy.... blame those bloody Danes again, as that's where it was pressed. :rolleyes:

Look out for a few shows this December in the U.K. I hear.......... :whistle:

Red Star Rebels ?

Who's that ????? Tommy D.Coles Phillips . haha!

I get Classic Rock too, and have heard some of them on the freebie cd, some good stuff to be sure.

Went to see Larry Miller again last Saturday, he's 'kin excellent, and can sure play his banjo !

All three of my discs have problems, and I'm less than chuffed, first time ever had duff Maiden gear. Returning em till the problem is sorted.

As fer RSR, think Crue, without makeup, and hard drug use, and serious party animals.

Hot off t presses G n F'n R confirmed fer Download..

funny old thing though, check out euro festivals, and loads of decent brit bands playin, including Maiden.

And for the guy who reckoned Tool for Reading: They are playing Rock Am Ring with Metallica, Korn, Deftones, Placebo.so I reckon they will also be at Download, along with Placebo.

Thank God I got Foos tickets...........

All three of my discs have problems, and I'm less than chuffed, first time ever had duff Maiden gear. Returning em till the problem is sorted.

As fer RSR, think Crue, without makeup, and hard drug use, and serious party animals.

Hot off t presses G n F'n R confirmed fer Download..

funny old thing though, check out euro festivals, and loads of decent brit bands playin, including Maiden.

And for the guy who reckoned Tool for Reading: They are playing Rock Am Ring with Metallica, Korn, Deftones, Placebo.so I reckon they will also be at Download, along with Placebo.

Thank God I got Foos tickets...........

That will do me, if Tool play download i will be there :)

The Euro festivals seem to be generally better than ours, they have a lot more scope, they have the Rock Am Ring wich is basically what Reading used to be, the have Rocksilde (sp?) which is more of a glasto style festival in Denmark, and then they have waken in germany which is basically a weekend of death and black metal, where all the big scandanavian bands come out to play.

Have all the DOTR discs got the same stereo problem ? haven't got round to watching mine yet, not really a problem as well i'll just watch it on my pc as i have surround speakers on that, but seems a bit stuipd to make that much of a cock up on something that will sell a lot.

Would love to see someone like opeth appear at one of the festivals, as they are incredible, although they would only get to play like 2/3 songs as a lot of their songs are 10 minutes plus long.

That will do me, if Tool play download i will be there :)

The Euro festivals seem to be generally better than ours, they have a lot more scope, they have the Rock Am Ring wich is basically what Reading used to be, the have Rocksilde (sp?) which is more of a glasto style festival in Denmark, and then they have waken in germany which is basically a weekend of death and black metal, where all the big scandanavian bands come out to play.

Have all the DOTR discs got the same stereo problem ? haven't got round to watching mine yet, not really a problem as well i'll just watch it on my pc as i have surround speakers on that, but seems a bit stuipd to make that much of a cock up on something that will sell a lot.

Would love to see someone like opeth appear at one of the festivals, as they are incredible, although they would only get to play like 2/3 songs as a lot of their songs are 10 minutes plus long.

My PC wont play ANY of the discs (Its only two months old)

Opeth are playing at Bang Your Head in Germany...not seen any British dates though-Maybe Bloodstock perhaps. Most artists at Rock Am Ring play Download too, so looks like y'get to see Tool :laugh:

My PC wont play ANY of the discs (Its only two months old)

Opeth are playing at Bang Your Head in Germany...not seen any British dates though-Maybe Bloodstock perhaps. Most artists at Rock Am Ring play Download too, so looks like y'get to see Tool :laugh:

Thats a bit poo. going to give mine a try now and see if it works.

Will hopefull be seeing Tool anyway, as soon as tickets are on sale i will be getting two for me and my best mate.

• Admin

Hot off the press yesterday, Trivium will be supporting Maiden on the European leg of the tour Nov/Dec 2006. It's quite a short tour, with only maybe 25 dates in Europe, and 10 of those are in Scandinavia. Looks as though I may have to travel to see them.

Regarding the DOTR DVD, I only have a problem with the Stereo concert disc on my DVD Player. My PS2 will play all the discs without a problem. :dunno:

Hot off the press yesterday, Trivium will be supporting Maiden on the European leg of the tour Nov/Dec 2006. It's quite a short tour, with only maybe 25 dates in Europe, and 10 of those are in Scandinavia. Looks as though I may have to travel to see them.

Regarding the DOTR DVD, I only have a problem with the Stereo concert disc on my DVD Player. My PS2 will play all the discs without a problem. :dunno:

Only Scandinavian dates so far, but more will be added according to the offish site. Trivium eh? Thats a very big band Maiden are takin out, and the most different one ever too. Most bands would be very wary of a support band this good. Well done Maiden!!

• Admin

Only Scandinavian dates so far, but more will be added according to the offish site. Trivium eh? Thats a very big band Maiden are takin out, and the most different one ever too. Most bands would be very wary of a support band this good. Well done Maiden!!

But after the Scandinavian dates finish it only leaves potentially 15 - 18 maximum gigs for the rest of Europe in total. Which leaves the distinct possibility of only 1 or 2 gigs in the UK.

Unless they are telling porkies, but it wouldn't be the first time that the Official Site is wrong. :pray:

But after the Scandinavian dates finish it only leaves potentially 15 - 18 maximum gigs for the rest of Europe in total. Which leaves the distinct possibility of only 1 or 2 gigs in the UK.

Unless they are telling porkies, but it wouldn't be the first time that the Official Site is wrong. :pray:

Sadly Chris, they will probably only do two nights here- we don't respect our own bands. Just go for the trendies.....95,000 tickets in what four hours...no way they could do that here. Kerrang would never tolerate it, would they? They love baggy @ss rap rock, where people have issues maaaaaan, and not good time rock n roll!

Also like the avatar-that the one off the offish?

• Admin

Sadly Chris, they will probably only do two nights here- we don't respect our own bands. Just go for the trendies.....95,000 tickets in what four hours...no way they could do that here. Kerrang would never tolerate it, would they? They love baggy @ss rap rock, where people have issues maaaaaan, and not good time rock n roll!

Also like the avatar-that the one off the offish?

Sad but true about ticket sales I think. They did sell over 100k for the UK Dance of Death Tour, and after the Festivals last year I think there'll be thousands of new fans wanting to see them. Maybe a opportunity lost? Unless you the rumours that they'll be doing the 'Golden Years (84-88)' tour next Summer and not in 2008 are true.

I was lucky enough to see them twice on the DOD tour (Paris and Cardiff) and three times on the Early Days Tour ( Iceland, Paris and Hammersmith) so I don't mind travelling if I have too. In fact, I'd go as far as saying the concerts in Paris are much better. Those French are mad!!!

Yep, avatar is from the new tour posters.

Just thought i'd add to this thread as the three headliners have been confirmed.

Friday - Tool :D

Saturday - Metallica

Sunday - Guns and Roses.

Other bands there include, Korn, Trivium, Prodigy, Bullet for my Valentine, Soulfly, Lacuna Coil, Deftones, cradle of Filth, Stone sour, 36 Crazyfists, Archenemy, eighteen visions, inme, within temptation, Clutch, Soil work, hatebreed.

Not a bad lineup at all so far. three good headliners, although axl rose is a bell end, but Metallica are still damn good despite St Anger, Tool are just awesome and urinate from a great height on almost any other band :)