IGNORED

Our Best Win At Swindle?

ashton_fan

In 1995 we had striker Robert Fleck on loan from Norwich for 10 games. Joe Jordan signed him towards the end of the season when we were struggling against relegation. He only scored one goal during that period (in this game against Swindon) but was always a handful for defenders and City's fortunes briefly improved. Unfortunately the board at the time decided they couldn't afford his wages and he returned to Norwich, which sealed our fate in terms of relegation. The energy he provided is demonstrated in this 3 goal victory at the County Ground, I can't remember a better scoreline there, let's hope for the same Saturday week:

http://youtu.be/k_lWEVbly0Q

That brings back some memories. Wasn't there but remember the delight and surprise at hearing the result. I recall Swindle were struggling too at the time.

Swindon doesn't seem a happy hunting ground for City to me. Been there 6 times - only seen us win once. I think Matt Hill scored but couldn't really celebrate as was in the Swindon stand. I could tell there was a few other City in there too, as we pushed the 'polite' applause as far was safe to do so.

That brings back some memories. Wasn't there but remember the delight and surprise at hearing the result. I recall Swindle were struggling too at the time.

Swindon doesn't seem a happy hunting ground for City to me. Been there 6 times - only seen us win once. I think Matt Hill scored but couldn't really celebrate as was in the Swindon stand. I could tell there was a few other City in there too, as we pushed the 'polite' applause as far was safe to do so.

And Lee Peacock scored a screamer of a free kick.

Not a happy hunting ground for us, the only time I've seen us win there. Having grown up near Swindle, this is as big a game as the Gas for me.

I was in the home end when Junior Bent scored. Before the game we asked if we could be moved to the away end but police refused to move us, think City only had 600 tickets for the game. We got moved to a 'no-mans land' bit of the ground after the goal. Got a cheer from the city fans at the end of the game when we were allowed to join them.

I have vague recollections of a game on local telly (bizarrely), City wearing green and black away shirts, pretty sure they won. Sometime around 2001 maybe....

....or did I dream that?

There was one where we had Matty Bryant sent off and Leroy Rosenior had to play the whole of the second half at centre half. Can't remember when or the final score though (a draw maybe?).

Not sure that's the same game I'm thinking of. If it was around 2001 that's too late for Bryant and Rosenior.

A 2-1 win where Hill and Peacock scored. They had that dirty full back (Sol Davis?) and the donkey Reeves at centre-half - think he got sent off for kicking out at someone. They still managed to pull a goal back and we, in typical City style, were hanging on. The only time I've seen us win there.

I'm pretty sure we've beaten them once away since ive been supporting city, think in the early Wilson days perhaps? I know we drew 1-1 with lee miller missing 'that' header. I went when we had mark robins on loan and drew 1-1, should have won that game. We tend to get at least 4 points from Swindon over a season as far as I can recall.

A 2-1 win where Hill and Peacock scored. They had that dirty full back (Sol Davis?) and the donkey Reeves at centre-half - think he got sent off for kicking out at someone. They still managed to pull a goal back and we, in typical City style, were hanging on. The only time I've seen us win there.

Was on sky wasn't it? I remember saying at the time there was more away fans than home fans for that game

The original post. Was that the night england caused troubles in ireland and the game got called off?

I remember fleck. Tore em to pieces that night. He later got done for selling fa cup tickets on the black market didnt he?

Yes, that was the night. I was at the Swindon game - Remember leaving school and rushing down to get the CATS coaches. Remeber listening to the build up for the England game on the radio on the way to Swindon and them it was a great night!

Here are a couple of others I remember 1990 just after promotion a 1-0 junior bent scored after running half the pitch and for some reason we were in their home end rather then the Stratton end and a league match around 86/87 we came from behind to win 2-1 steve Neville scored twice it was a sunday match for some reason

I was there when we were 3 down in ten mins. Completely battered them 2nd half, lost 3-2 but shouldve comfortably won 6-3. Akinbiyi missed everything and i think it was Colin Cramb pulling the strings 2nd half.

Strangest game ive ever been to, and dry!!!

Been soaked to the bone in that sh1tty open end many times!!

In 1995 we had striker Robert Fleck on loan from Norwich for 10 games. Joe Jordan signed him towards the end of the season when we were struggling against relegation. He only scored one goal during that period (in this game against Swindon) but was always a handful for defenders and City's fortunes briefly improved. Unfortunately the board at the time decided they couldn't afford his wages and he returned to Norwich, which sealed our fate in terms of relegation. The energy he provided is demonstrated in this 3 goal victory at the County Ground, I can't remember a better scoreline there, let's hope for the same Saturday week:

One of my favourite away games ever this.

Archived