IGNORED

Our Best Win At Swindle?

ashton_fan

I was in the home end when Junior Bent scored. Before the game we asked if we could be moved to the away end but police refused to move us, think City only had 600 tickets for the game. We got moved to a 'no-mans land' bit of the ground after the goal. Got a cheer from the city fans at the end of the game when we were allowed to join them.

:laugh: you must be kidding, there must have been nearer 3,000 of us there!!!! Away end was mobbed, there was a City section in the main stand which was packed...I was in the open end, whole place went utterly mental every time we scored. Jumping up and down probably saved us from drowning!!!!

In 1995 we had striker Robert Fleck on loan from Norwich for 10 games. Joe Jordan signed him towards the end of the season when we were struggling against relegation. He only scored one goal during that period (in this game against Swindon) but was always a handful for defenders and City's fortunes briefly improved. Unfortunately the board at the time decided they couldn't afford his wages and he returned to Norwich, which sealed our fate in terms of relegation.

Actually, he was at Chelsea at that time, having moved from Norwich for an absolute shedload of cash, then it just didn't happen for him in London. When he came to us, he hadn't scored in over a year IIRC, so when it went in he nearly burst into tears!

Great night...and Junior scored!!!!!

Might well have been 2002/3 season on a Sunday afternoon. I remember watching the game in the Roo bar, going a bit crazy when Hill scored!

Jan 12th 2002 my 40th Birthday! My wife thought she was doing me a big favour getting me a "match day experience" for me and my mates at a game, she picked Swindon away because it was on the actual day of my birthday! A classic example of someone trying to be nice and getting it slightly wrong :facepalm:! it turned into a great day out though, I seem to remember Matty celebrating with the "cradle rock" as he had just become a dad and Leapy scoring a terrific free kick.

We got a lovely reception from the home fans around us as we celebrated as you can imagine :fear: !

The bizarre bit was at the end we were all shuffled into a room and asked to pick the man of the match, it turned out that there were a lot more City fans there than Swindle, but they brought some Swindon player (don't ask me who) in after about 30 minutes and claimed that he was the one we had given the MOM too! Nobody wanted to give him the award, so one of the club staff stepped forward and handed it to him and he left very quickly!

Archived