IGNORED

Away Tickets - Who Gets The Moolah?

Bobbie

Sorry for the slightly un-City related thread....

Me and a mate were discussing who gets the money from the sales of away tickets at league games? 

For example, if we sell the 1,000 tickets for Bramall Lane do City get the money or United?

Slightly off topic but fair play to Sheffield United for sensible ticket prices, under twenty quid for adults and a 16 year old can get in for 7 quid. Also remember that this is not yer average tin pot League One stadium, this is the best ground in the division.

Slightly off topic but fair play to Sheffield United for sensible ticket prices, under twenty quid for adults and a 16 year old can get in for 7 quid. Also remember that this is not yer average tin pot League One stadium, this is the best ground in the division.

MK dons ground and the Ricoh both better for me!

I really liked MK Dons ground especially

MK dons ground and the Ricoh both better for me!

I really liked MK Dons ground especially

MK Dons and the Ricoh are up there for the worst football grounds in British football for me.

Great prices by Sheff U though, well done to them on that, a very difficult place to go and I believe the oldest football ground in the UK?

Sky aren't getting any of my money.

Home club keeps all gate receipts for league games, split by formula for cup games.

Although this is correct , I thought the away club receives a very small percentage if they sell the tickets. Can anyone confirm this ?

Home club keeps all gate receipts for league games, split by formula for cup games.

Another way for the big clubs to get bigger and to take away the opportunity for the smaller clubs to make a bit of money when they get a chance to play in a division with some well supported clubs.

It currently works for us but when we move up a league we are small fry who struggle.

Although this is correct , I thought the away club receives a very small percentage if they sell the tickets. Can anyone confirm this ?

There will be an admin fee but as most clubs play each other home and away during the season it tends to be " you scratch my back...." And amounts to very little.

Another way for the big clubs to get bigger and to take away the opportunity for the smaller clubs to make a bit of money when they get a chance to play in a division with some well supported clubs.

It currently works for us but when we move up a league we are small fry who struggle.

It didn't used to be this way but it changed 20-25 years ago to ensure that clubs had to survive on their own attendances and couldn't depend on a couple of bumper gates away from home. To be honest this way has always seemed much fairer.

It didn't used to be this way but it changed 20-25 years ago to ensure that clubs had to survive on their own attendances and couldn't depend on a couple of bumper gates away from home. To be honest this way has always seemed much fairer.

It's questionable,although the hosts are putting on the event ,without the away club there is no match so technically the entertainment is being provided "free of charge" by the visitors.

Whilst most of us would n't get out of bed to watch a small club's team ,we still hope to see our club put on a performance , so they are contributing to the spectacle .

It's questionable,although the hosts are putting on the event ,without the away club there is no match so technically the entertainment is being provided "free of charge" by the visitors.

Whilst most of us would n't get out of bed to watch a small club's team ,we still hope to see our club put on a performance , so they are contributing to the spectacle .

So you get paid 23 times your average home league revenue for 46 appearances, same as everyone else.

There is probably an issue with police bills and laying on of extra stewards and the like. If the home team has to pay out extra for these things to cope with a large away following, unless the away side are willing to share the cost, it's only fair that the home side keep all gate receipts.

There is probably an issue with police bills and laying on of extra stewards and the like. If the home team has to pay out extra for these things to cope with a large away following, unless the away side are willing to share the cost, it's only fair that the home side keep all gate receipts.

Back in the day, the home side deducted "expenses" and the away side got a share of the rest. It was too complicated, too open to abuse and didn't force clubs to live on their own revenue. So they found new ways to live beyond their means but the current system of gate revenues is simpler and fairer.

Ricoh and stadium mk don't get anywhere near Bramall Lane, proper football ground

I agree that Bramall Lane is a good place to watch football, although there's another great old ground just the other side of Sheffield.

But it's not the case that old = good and new = bad. There are some dreadful old grounds, a certain Memorial Stadium being one. And of the new grounds I thought Stadium MK was definitely one of the better and really enjoyed it when we went there last season.

For different reasons, always think of Colchester last season too. They have achieved the distinction of replacing a really crap old ground with one of the very worst of new grounds.

You are indeed correct the home club does get a percentage of sales, something like 5%

Not sure what the % is, but yes this started some years ago. About the time that we started getting the 'we've got a small allocation of xx tickets', waiting until the very last minute to announce that it's going to be POTD, and so on. Strange that!

• Admin

Not sure what the % is, but yes this started some years ago. About the time that we started getting the 'we've got a small allocation of xx tickets', waiting until the very last minute to announce that it's going to be POTD, and so on. Strange that!

Did notice that of all the opening day fixtures, City were the last to put their away tickets on sale, even though Sheffield United had confirmed they had sent them to us.

Which does make it seem very odd, maybe busy sorting next seasons season tickets?

Archived